UMR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jay M. Anliker

1. "Awesome awesome awesome company to work for."

Current Employee - Client Service Consultant in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Client Service Consultant in Wausau, WI

I have been working at UMR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Support is amazing. People are always willing to help. Industry leader which makes it easier to do the job with the clients we serve.

Cons

2% raises aren't cool. And promotions based on gender is what I fear has happened. Still investigating ,but it's seeming to be the case.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are fair

2. "Worst Place EVER!"

Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Bothell, WA

I worked at UMR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monday thru Friday- set schedule

Cons

Not enough training to deal with the crazy, outrageous phone calls you get.
    Management barely helps you with calls and complains when you have to transfer a call to them.
    The training is basic but the phone calls you get are beyond what you are ever trained for. Little to no help in answering questions all the while having to keep your call/documentation at a unmaintainable time limit.
    Training for claims is only a couple weeks but yet they expect you to know how to do all areas of claims, answer phone calls and process a certain amount claims a day, all the while keeping your work load from calls at a manageable place.
    Plus, you only get a 2% raise if you have perfect attendance.
    Out of 30 new employees every 6 months, only about 10 make it a year.

3. "Claims Service Representative - Telecommuter"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Service Representative in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Service Representative in Wausau, WI

I worked at UMR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked from home, liked customer service part, great PTO

Cons

Impossible to balance claims and customer service production and quality metrics. Micro-management was ridiculous! I always felt like I was just a number to them and never really felt valued. Because I worked from my home out of state, I always felt they were searching for things that I was doing wrong instead of valuing all the MANY things that I did right.

Advice to Management

The people who are on the bottom are the most important - especially those interacting with customers on a daily basis! Stop micro managing where it isn't needed!

4. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Bothell, WA

I worked at UMR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited overtime and room for advancement.

Cons

Very stressful if you do not meet your goals.

Advice to Management

Try to lower stress for employees

5. "This job is only worth it for the money"

Current Employee - Customer First Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer First Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UMR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good starting base pay
    -Good support system for roles
    -They promote from within

Cons

-Poor healthcare options
    -Corporate culture, very small room for change
    -Very strict unforgiving rules that don't take into account personal issues
    -They promote from within if you are willing to wait years for the promotion or change in department
    -Responsibility increases while pay may not increase for Hybrid CFRs which is the next level for any entry level CFR

6. "Solid company with good people"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Wausau, WI

I worked at UMR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As part of the UnitedHealth family, it's a fairly solid company in a growing area

Cons

It was losing a bit of the original culture when I left as it became more assimilated into the UnitedHealth cuture...not entirely a con.

Advice to Management

Hire manager/directors that have a work/life balance that can lead teams via positivity and more fun...something that was missing while I was there.

"Customer First Representative"

Former Employee - Customer First Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer First Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at UMR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, positive outlook and job security. The training program is excellent and the people are mostly amazing. They prefer to promote from within so lots of opportunity for advancement if you can survive the first (very stressful) year. Potential to work from home exists, though meeting metrics to qualify is difficult. Overtime is available once you complete training.

Cons

Most employees start as customer service reps and claims processors, which is extremely stressful work. It's a hybrid position combining positions that are separate jobs at competitors, but the pay does not reflect this. Turnover is high because people leave to work for competitors who pay more and allow you to be customer service or claims processor, without requiring both. Quality monitors you very closely and you need to meet strict metrics on a continual basis. Quality requirements and coaching are intense and pretty constant. Your success is often dependent on your team and turnover and absenteeism is high.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to match competitors' and implement employee retention programs.

8. "Field Account Manager"

Former Employee - Field Account Manager in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Field Account Manager in West Valley City, UT

I worked at UMR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the largest TPA's in the country, room for growth and development within the company both in position and financially. Great benefits and incentive packages. You have access to the best technology and professional sales material.

Cons

With a big corporation you don't have practical on the job training with a person it is done mostly online at your own pace. DIrectors and managers for UMR are stationed in WI with little or no contact if you have issues or concerns or need additional information you feel like your on your own.

Advice to Management

Keep in regular contact with new employees even when things are busy; it's hard to be new, giving a little extra time and attention would be helpful for your employees and might make them feel comfortable and safe to come to you with any problems or concerns and to give you any positive feedback also.

9. "Good entry level job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at UMR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, great coworkers, good support if you needed help. Overtime is available, and it's a nice area (Blue Ash) to work in. It's a good job if you're looking for a starting point to get your career going.

Cons

There are a lot of computer programs that are used for a call. Not enough supervisors to assist issues. They listen to and grade every call, but won't tell you that you screwed up until it's too late. They a very strict on time. Also I lived in Kentucky and traffic was brutal. I would leave work at 5 and wouldn't get home till 6:15, and without traffic it would take 20 minutes to get home. So if you live north of downtown Cincinnati, It's a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Hire more of you, each team needs 3 or 4 upper management types on each team and upgrade the technology.

"UMR is an OK place to work"

Current Employee - CFR/Claims Processor in Blue Ash, OH
    Current Employee - CFR/Claims Processor in Blue Ash, OH

Pros

The benefits are the best thing that they have to offer. Being off every holiday and working Monday through Friday are definite pluses if you prefer not work weekends and holidays. In addition to that the number of vacation days per year is another perk.

Cons

The starting pay is not sufficient for the work that they want you to do as a CFR/Claims Processor. Essentially you are doing two jobs, but being paid for one. It is rare that you can even process claims due to answering calls all day. For this reason claims are not processed in a timely manner and you have repeat/angry callers on a regular basis. Calls can be complicated as well. You could be a customer service rep anywhere in the area for $14.00 an hour and not have the stress of having to process claims as well. Another con is that the phone transfer system does not work properly so when transferring members and providers 9 times out of 10 they don't get to the right place, which frustrates us as well as the callers because they have to be transferred over and over again. I've brought this this to my managers attention numerous times and we have been told that we are not transferring properly, which certainly is not the case. After more than a year I think that most people know the proper steps to transfer a call.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If we tell you that there is a problem in place with a system such as the phone transfers take it serious and get it fixed. If you did a survey of members and providers regarding their experiences with transfers at UMR you might finally believe that there is a problem with the system and not the employees. Be honest and upfront with new hires and set the expectation that they will be on the phone more than they will be processing claims. Also if we were allowed more time off the phone we could actually get more claims processed and likely reduce the call volume from repeat callers.