Upbring Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Negative experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Upbring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, easy hours

Cons

Favoritism; if they don’t like you, they will make your time there difficult. They follow policies when it’s convenient for them and enforce only with those who are not in their group of friends.
    Everyone in upper management has worked together before. If you rock the boat on the unethical practices they are doing, you’ll be in for a difficult time. If you should happen to go to HR for a concern regarding management, nothing will be done.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly. Keep leads with administration and hire COMPETENT employees with leadership skills, not your friends.

2. "Grant Writer"

Current Employee - Grant Writer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Grant Writer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Upbring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this company. I have never been so happy in a career. The work we do is important and you can see the impact we make in the lives of the children, families, and communities we work with across the state of Texas. The company culture is warm, welcoming, friendly, and most of all supportive. I wish everyone I love could work here because it truly is like a family.

Cons

They are working on and discussing the areas of improvement that I would have considered a con.

3. "False promises"

Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Upbring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not pro items to list

Cons

Low pay, benefits were messed up at various times during my employment, unethical practices

Advice to Management

Listen to both sides of a situation as workers are to do in their daily jobs. Sometimes the manager/supervisor isn’t correct in their decision or promise.

4. "Great"

I have been working at Upbring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People here have heart, no egos, and mostly aren't here for the money. They want to make change for the good. Slot of good changes are being made, and the outlook here is good.

Cons

Low pay at all levels, but that's the name of the game in childcare and family services for some reason.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in trying new things, give employees raises, old and new, that go beyond whatever is standard.

5. "Great Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Upbring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Such caring people at all levels of the company-everyone is supportive of each other and they work well together in accomplishing the mission. Great work life balance.

Cons

Need a more casual dress code.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and serving those in need.

6. "Trying But Oblivious"

I worked at Upbring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very generous time off. Some people here are very friendly and laid back, very cool people. Never have to worry about parking. Small enough office that you at least recognize everyone's face. Very few company wide/mandatory meetings so if you're not in senior management you can work pretty efficiently.

Cons

Workload was a breeze or a nightmare depending on role. For example, social workers for the foster care programs are paid what you'd expect (salaried well under $40k per year) and are busting their butts working 60+ hours every week. Other positions at the corporate office are paid $80k+ per year and work maybe 30 hours per week. So you either get it real cushy or real terrible. Doesn't seem to be much in between and it creates a lot of resentment. Turn over at most locations is constant so it's very frustrating constantly figuring out who to contact about things if you collaborate with other offices on anything. Several different locations, doing all different kinds of things, some out of the state, so it feels like it's just a bunch of different businesses all thrown together sometimes. Company is trying to create a narrative about how all of these different offices and sources of revenue are related but I'm not buying it. Senior management team gets bigger every few months while other departments face yearly budget cuts. Office building is nasty (old carpet, old tiles, scuffed up walls, roaches) and the location is in a warehouse district with nothing but gas stations and a few fast food restaurants near it. There are only a few places you can get to fast enough to go anywhere for lunch and almost no restaurants deliver here because of the weird location.

Advice to Management

Company is starting to talk about their mission and values a lot and expect everyone to jump on board, get excited and become more passionate than ever without offering any incentive other than it feels good. Sorry, my insurance premiums kept going up and my cost of living increase didn't even cover it. I received decreasing take home pay with increasing workload and less flexible work schedule the longer I worked here. What reason do I have to stay in that situation when the more I work the worse it gets? Management focused so much on the idea of their mission that they forget about the people actually on the ground making it happen. That is a very common sentiment I heard expressed from non management employees.

"Family service worker- driving around checking on foster families and children."

Former Employee - Family Service Worker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Family Service Worker in Houston, TX

I worked at Upbring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is extensive training, so you feel confident in your job. There is a lot of leeway for you to take off during the day for whatever. You also get reimbursed for milage. The coworkers are nice and very supportive if you need anything.

Cons

You have to take your own vehicle, which means a lot of miles since some families are far. The hours were hectic, for example having to work until 10pm and being at the office at 9am the next morning. There is a lot of paperwork involved, and not enough time to do it during work hours which means a lot of work has to be done at home and over the weekend. Also, some families would contact you after work hours since you are encouraged to give out your personal cell phone number as a means of contact.

Advice to Management

Have company cars and cell phones so your personal items don't get run down.

"A great nonprofit in Austin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Upbring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upbring is an organization making a real difference in the world. The mission might seem like an overly ambitious platitude, but the staff and volunteers work hard every day to change lives for the better. Pay is very competitive for the nonprofit sector, benefits are very good, paid time off is generous, and most importantly, the work is very rewarding.

Cons

Additional benefits could be helpful such as paid family leave for the birth or adoption of a new child, retirement matching, or student loan repayment assistance. Consistent and clear communication at all levels is a challenge, as it is for any organization of this size.

Advice to Management

Maintain the laser mission focus on improving the lives of children and families and invest as much as possible in staff at all levels to maintain and improve retention of the best people.

9. "Direct Support Professional"

I worked at Upbring full-time

Pros

The kids were wonderful to work with

Cons

Highly unorganized work environment, feel unsupported by staff/ management, no work/ life balance

Advice to Management

Rehire retrain and mentor good employees

"N/A"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Upbring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are well. At times can work from home.

Cons

Working in this agency was stressful. You do not get properly trained you learn on your own. You get work on documentation that is months behind from other workers and never catch up on your own work. It is unorganized there is no point on having a supervisor in this office if she does not check paperwork that is being left behind and is almost never in the office. Pay is very low for the work an FSW does and don't get appreciate it for the work. People don't last in this agency because they get burned out easily with all this paperwork mess that is behind. Communication is awful in the office everyone is in their own world even the supervisor. Why have a supervisor that is not doing their job as a supervisor should and checking the office or at least organizing to get things better in the office.