UrbanDaddy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lance Broumand

Pros
  • Great atmosphere with really great people (in 5 reviews)

• The work environment is top notch (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • no room to grow, inexperienced and unprofessional CEO, HR is a joke, no transparency (in 3 reviews)

• Or when they do eventually become full-time employees, it's a very long temp-to-perm transition (in 2 reviews)

1. "A Fun and Rewarding Job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at UrbanDaddy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UrbanDaddy does a great job of seeking out and hiring hard-working people with positive attitudes. The vibe in the office is high-energy and really fun, with lots of staff happy hours, regular meetings to keep everyone in the loop on company activity, and plenty of social opportunities. The workload is manageable, but it keeps me engaged; there's always something to do, and the flow never feels repetitive.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower side of what I'm used to (but not egregiously so).

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication strong - you're doing a good job so far!

"You've reached the bottom."

I worked at UrbanDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A job if you're coming off the unemployment line... otherwise walk away. I would try Uber first.

Cons

Dewey, Srew'em, and Howe Headquarters.

Advice to Management

Start over... with some ethics.

"Smart, Creative People—Terrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UrbanDaddy (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the most creative, thoughtful, smart and hardworking people across Editorial, Product and Tech.

Cons

The chief leadership is abysmal, and the sales team is unapologetically unrealistic—they will sell the moon and stars, promise it in 6 weeks, for $100,000...without ever thinking to themselves "Hmmm, do we have the technology to capture the cosmos? Is that even a thing?" Then its handed over to the rest of the team to figure out. The CEO condones the practice, which always nets out with them spending more than they make on the deal, and crashing the boards on any work taking place to actually improve the core company products; site, app, etc.

Advice to Management

There was management?

4. "So far, so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at UrbanDaddy full-time

Pros

The best things about UrbanDaddy are the people, their friendliness (and humor), and their willingness to help. There are also a lot of different things to do so you'll never have to fall into a boring routine. UrbanDaddy also has a lot of events set up for employees like happy hours where company updates are given and employees get to mingle, massages where a massage therapist comes in with her massage chair, birthday celebrations, etc.

My personal favorite thing about UrbanDaddy is the people though. My manager is generous with praises, straightforward, energetic, and personable. She's also experienced and has a lot of knowledge to offer.

On my first day, I was welcomed with very friendly greetings from the CEO and some other employees. That may not mean much to a lot of other people but to me, being welcomed, acknowledged, and appreciated means a whole lot to me and I definitely feel the appreciation here. I also enjoy working and having things to do so UrbanDaddy's fast paced environment is quite fun for me. I'm never afraid to ask questions and go up to someone to get an update. Our office is basically open space and everyone is available to talk to unless they work remotely. They're also really nice about taking their time to explain things, which I like.

UrbanDaddy's culture is fun and helps build relationships. Teamwork and communication is a must here.

Cons

Every company has its own challenges and I guess the biggest challenge I can see here at UrbanDaddy is the workload might be a little stressful for some. Then again, every company and workplace has its own fair share of stress. If you handle stress well, are well organized, and strive to just do well and get results, the workload wouldn't be an issue.

Sometimes things can get a little hectic in the office but again, I feel that most people here are willing to help and will offer their time and effort to get through things together. After all, unexpected circumstances can occur anywhere and what's important is how we respond. Staying positive and expending effort to resolve issues helps more than complaining about them. Being positive and optimistic is definitely important here!

I guess another potential challenge may be that sometimes management has a lot on their plate and may not be able to respond to emails as quickly but I find that if I just verbally remind them a couple of times then they get back to me and things move on. Being proactive and staying organized and on top of my own things can help with communication as well because then it'll be easier to find time to remind them.

Advice to Management

I think management already spends a lot of time trying to get things done but it would help everyone else get their things done quickly if they could respond a little faster. Also, keep up the optimism, positive words and energy because it'll rub off on everyone else. Offering positive words help to motivate others as well!

"New-ish mid-level team member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at UrbanDaddy (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with a team of motivated, passionate, creative and fun colleagues has been amazing. The work environment is top notch. Hard work never goes unnoticed and they care about the staff that works hard and stands out. Possibility to grow within the organization (promotions, dept. change) is encouraged.

Cons

Interview process was long but rightfully thorough. Leadership is sometimes not as present or available as they should be. Management could be improved...seeing signs that this is being addressed.

"Has it's ups and downs"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at UrbanDaddy (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun environment with cool people and great perks (employee discount, in-office liquor tastings, happy hours, basically a lot of booze). Things are always changing so you get to do a lot of different things in different capacities. The company has some big-name, high-end clients that looks great on a resume. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

Direction is always changing. The company has that startup vibe of being unsure of where it's going but being overly confident that it's going in the right direction. Each year is a new pet project, a new investment in a part of the company that is "definitely" going to be the next big thing. As a result, things grow too big too quickly, new procedures that no one likes have to be put in place only to get scrapped before they even have a chance to start working. In the time I worked there, quantity quickly overtook quality, and that was really sad to see, especially because the people there are smart and want to do good work

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it. Optimism bias and unfounded enthusiasm are necessary for a 2-year-old company, but they're bad for a 10-year-old company. Learn what each person in the company does. Everyone works hard. Recognize them for it.

7. "All the right moves"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at UrbanDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Really well staffed. Everyone here is smart, talented and ambitious. The culture is fun. Everyone wants to win.

Cons

Its a creative led company. It can be challenging sometimes but the final product always makes it worth it.

Advice to Management

Really proud of some of the changes that have been made recently. Management seems to be making all the right moves right now. Our new COO addition is very exciting. Lets keep the speed up.

8. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at UrbanDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office location, pizza Friday, office closes for 2 weeks at the end of year

Cons

Advice to Management

appreciate and respect your employees, be transparent when changes need to occur

"Great Product But Are They Moving Too Slow?"

Former Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management in New York, NY

I worked at UrbanDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Brand. Very creative people. Exposure to a premier editorial product and luxury brands. The CEO has an amazing vision for UD.

Cons

Move to slow. Not tech focused. Need to innovate in a fast/scalable way. Make sure the website, app and email design are evolving.

Advice to Management

Build teams that are built to scale. Empower and trust employees.

10. "Good People, Cool Office Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kew Gardens, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kew Gardens, NY

I worked at UrbanDaddy (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid-back, no micromanaging. Cool perks like happy hours, in-office tastings, exclusive invites, and in-office massages. Everyone there worked hard and knew what they were doing, good office synergy. Open flow of ideas, if there was a project you wanted to undertake or a place you saw room for improvement, management was supportive.

Cons

A little unorganized at times, some dated systems. Startup vibe means sudden changes are possible, the company is sill growing.

Advice to Management

Nothing really, great management style. Enjoyable place to work, since the company is constantly evolving, train everyone on changes and prep them on future system integration. Ticketing system needs an overhaul.