Verbal Ink Reviews | Glassdoor

Verbal Ink Reviews

Updated Jan 3, 2019

3.5

"Wonderful company to work with"

Current Contractor - Transcriptionist in Maybee, MI

I have been working at Verbal Ink for more than 10 years

Pros

As someone who's been working with Verbal Ink for ten-plus years and counting, some may see this as a biased review. I see it as just the opposite. The pros have accumulated over the years enough to keep me with the company, and even more amazing, is that the cons have remained insignificant enough to keep me here for many more years to come. Contracting with Verbal Ink affords me the opportunity to not only... transcribe, but learn a bit about many, many subjects. Today may be a board meeting with many people to track. Tomorrow may be a sermon, a police interrogation, an interview as part of a dissertation, a focus group; you name it! You set your own hours 100 percent of the time. In the very rare instance of a miscommunication of your availability and a file being assigned that falls outside the amount you indicated to your account executive (AE), as long as you let them know immediately, the file will be reassigned with no prejudice. Rates range fairly considerably, taking into consideration multiple variables such as verbatim, time code/stamps, accents, poor audio quality, considerable background noise, special formatting, et cetera. AEs do their best to be fair regarding variables and pay rates for individual assignments. Account executives are available during all business hours for any questions/concerns via three different avenues. If they don't know the answer to your question, they will find out. They are very polite and personable even though most days they're under considerable pressure dealing with all aspects of both clients and contracted transcriptionists. Verbal Ink offers its transcriptionists a couple production-based perks that I don't think are made available by most other transcription companies. I think one of the biggest perks or "pros" to working with Verbal Ink is the fact that I was available for all school events my son needed me to attend. I was able to be a room parent for years, somewhat of a teacher assistant various years, and enjoyed endless field trips and memories that cannot otherwise be recreated. Now that my son is an adult and working, it's my two Chihuahuas I enjoy sharing my work-at-home time alongside. They don't mind if I wear slippers all day, and they just kind of look at each other then at me, and then back at each other with amusement in their loving eyes when I mumble and grumble, directly at the computer, "Be quiet and let them answer the question!" Over the past more than ten years with Verbal Ink, I have worked with various other transcription companies but let them go in short order. Some folks feel this is a risky thing to do, but Verbal Ink has always kept my basket full with work and I'm very happy where I am with no changes visible in the horizons.

Cons

All audio is not created equal. Some audio is downright, "You've gotta be kidding me." The majority of clients seem to know this and understand we will do the best we can. As a contract worker, no paid vacation, no health care benefits, no sick days, no personal days, and no paid holidays. I knew this when I signed up to work with Verbal Ink. Mainly due to holidays such as Thanksgiving Christmas, New Years,... work is not always abundant, so be ready with the occasional antacids. Thankfully, this happens only occasionally, and the trend seems to be showing more and more work available.

Advice to Management

Well, to Verbal Ink management, over the past more than ten years, I've watched this company grow from three people to, gosh, I've lost count -- many people and many departments. Mr. Wurster seems to have the gift of growing his business(s) not only up, but out. Verbal Ink not only offers transcription, as in the beginning, but translation, writing, subtitling, voiceover, and localization services. My advice to... management is, "Keep it up!"

Verbal Ink2016-06-07
  2. "Avoid"

I have been working at Verbal Ink full-time

Pros

I can think of none.

Cons

Weird culture, bad pay, boring job

Verbal Ink2019-01-04

"The best transcription company to work for"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Verbal Ink for more than 10 years

Pros

The staff is always wonderful to work with. The pay is higher than other transcription companies.

Cons

Unfortunately there are times when there's a slow down in the amount of work coming in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Verbal Ink2017-10-25

"Great place to work"

Current Freelancer - Freelance Transcriptionist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verbal Ink for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is respectful and communicative Work is interesting Pay is better than average

Cons

Independent contractor status with no benefits, can be slow periods

Verbal Ink2017-04-10

"Transcriptionist"

Current Freelancer - Transcriptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Verbal Ink

Pros

It's a work from home position. The company does have admins to allocate jobs to typists rather than just putting work out there for their not- employee employees to fight over, first come first served, catch as catch can style. They send you a card that's signed by some of the office staff for your birthday, and I got a 25$ Amazon gift voucher as a Christmas bonus.

Cons

Although they pay about the going rate, they don't actually pay very well. Most of the jobs I received from Verbal were about $0.85 an audio minute. Everything is 24 hour or less turnaround, and they allocate jobs in such a way that you'll end up working a certain set of hours that they dictate to you in order to meet deadlines, which sort of defeats the set your own schedule aspect of doing at home... transcription work. As you're classed as an 'independent subcontractor', there's no benefits or even a safety net for things like RSI type injuries. Technically, you have the right to refuse jobs as an indie subcontractor, but actually doing so means no more work from Verbal, ever. Job allocation is erratic - some weeks you might get more work than you know what to do with, others, you won't get anything at all. So you effectively get to be a poorly paid employee with no benefits who's on call 24/7.

Advice to Management

Some kind of communication with the people who are doing the work for you would probably help. Granted, the transcription industry is basically built around keeping the people doing the typing in the dark about things to prevent them from poaching clients, but correspondence with the company feels like you're interacting with an automated mailer script.

Verbal Ink2016-05-26
  6. "Transcriptionist"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Verbal Ink

Pros

Super flexible, great with communication, great work from home job.

Cons

Work is contract so not always guaranteed, pay is based on hour typed

Verbal Ink2015-09-11

"Transcriber"

Transcriptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Verbal Ink

Pros

Great flexibility, good people, exposure to a wide variety of fields. If you are looking for a work at home transcription position, this is certainly one of the better companies to work for.

Cons

Salary is low in light of labor intensive tasks performed. Paid by W9 instead of W2, so you get slapped with hefty self-employment tax every year.

Advice to Management

Pay with W2, so employees don't get stuck owing the Federal government self-employment tax.

Verbal Ink2015-06-29
  8. "Great company to work at! Fun, you learn a lot, really good people. I loved my time here."

I have been working at Verbal Ink

Pros

Amazing company culture and great people.

Cons

It's a very small company so there aren't many positions to move to.

Verbal Ink2015-03-31
  9. "Stellar"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Verbal Ink full-time for more than a year

Pros

Verbal Ink will expose you to some of the smartest, nicest people you have ever met. Work is meaningful. The office is fun and casual.

Cons

There are not a lot of opportunities for advancement, as people tend to not leave.

Verbal Ink2014-03-10