Virool Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Alexander Debelov

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Beautiful office space located right off of market in the Financial district with one of the best workplace rooftop views in the city (in 4 reviews)

• Amazing office with a great balcony (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The work environment is now tumultuous at best, and at any minute you may feel that the company is on the verge of collapse (in 4 reviews)

• Caused the entire management team (9 people) to quit in one year (in 3 reviews)

"Had an amazing experience!"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Virool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was my first time working at a startup, and I instantly fell in love with it. The people were extremely smart, go-getters, who also knew how to have fun. The culture was the typical startup grind, with awesome perks and tightly knit team. It's been some time since i've worked at Virool, but I'm a bit surprised by the harsh critique of management. Alex in particular, was very smart and went out of his way to praise employees on a job well done. He did have a tendency to micro-manage, but was never over whelming. I learned a lot working at Virool that I was able to take onto my next venture.

Cons

Constant changes in strategy and plans for the sales team from sales managers.
    Some perks quickly faded away as the company scaled and management realized they weren't feasible.

"BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE!!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Virool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Awesome people and office!
    -Loved the perks of working at Virool (gym, health benefits, lunches, trips, parties, etc.)
    -Fast growing company, fast paced working environment!
    -The work was rewarding for me as a seller (was able to grow with the company)
    -Got to travel for meetings and had a generous expense account for clients

Cons

-The hours were long (by choice though, I wanted to get ahead and it was a bit competitive)

Advice to Management

Keep up the incredible growth! Keep making employees happy with the unique benefits, don't stop these (perhaps use them as incentives to increase performance).

"Leaders in Outstream Video, Need refocused efforts"

Former Employee - Publisher Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Publisher Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Virool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible team of intelligent, social, talented individuals who are driven to succeed in what they set their minds to.
    - Recent additions to the company have been very talented and seem to have a feasible plan as to how to move forward in the increasingly competitive outstream video space.
    - Great product/engineering team that are able to accomplish things with agility and effectiveness that is unparalleled by other larger, more bloated adtech companies.
    - Beautiful office space located right off of market in the Financial district with one of the best workplace rooftop views in the city.
    - Opportunity to be a leader in an organization that is still trying find its secure footing in the adtech space (where admittedly most companies are).
    - If continue to focus on Vertical Video and other outstream video products, the opportunities are definitely there.

Cons

- Management structure is not as defined as it should to be, which causes confusion and miscommunication to folks as you trickle down the organization chart.
    - Frivolous/poor allocation of funds that need to be addressed immediately for the company to reach profitability anytime soon. It seems that company has reigned back a bit of the unnecessary spending, but that needs to continue if Virool would like to one day become cash positive.
    - Need some more experienced folks to continue to join the company to provide proper guidance and leadership.
    - Need better leadership and focus from the very top.

Advice to Management

- Continue to hire experienced/qualified folks to help guide the company forward.
    - Invest money on the right things (Employees, Clients, Product)
    - Find structure and harmony in the management team. This is palpable, and trickles down to how effective employee's can be.

Jan 23, 2017 – Head of Global Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience! As a start-up, we understand there will be ambiguity and growing pains along the way and pride ourselves in our agile, entrepreneurial culture... More

"Dying company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Once offered a great product with talented employees and department heads and an ability to make an impact in an evolving industry. Now it's all cons

Cons

An inability to pay publishers has lead to a reduction in product quality, a huge diaspora of fleeing employees has left the company with no culture or hope. Lack of financing has lead to situations where payroll was looking to be uncertain. And add on top of this ongoing litigation and the future of the company is bleak to say the least.

Almost all of these failings are the fault of the CEO. Lacking the experience to make an impact where it matters or the wisdom to know when to step away and let another take the lead.

Looking at the other reviews it's easy to see that most of the positive ones were left by him or by employees he compelled to do so. This is probably the greatest insult to current and former employees yet. It's as if a surgeon were frantically mopping the blood off the floor ignoring his duties as his patient bleeds out on the table. Irrationally hoping that a clean floor would indicate a healed patient.

Advice to Management

There's no advice left to give. It's all been said already and ignored

"Great Opportunity to Grow and Develop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Over the course of the last one and a half years, I've grown as an engineer and professional
    - I got to work on some challenging tasks and learned some new technologies I had never used before
    - Working alongside a team of top-level engineers has been very beneficial toward my career
    - Alex Petrov, the Head of Engineering, has been a great mentor to me
    - Due to the top management team being quite transparent about everything happening to the company, I also learned a lot about decision making and business in general

Cons

From time to time, working for a startup can be more challenging than for a big corporation—you get to work on tasks that may not be specifically within your area of expertise. In a word, if you've never worked for a startup before, you may find yourself out of your comfort zone.

Advice to Management

Continue doing a great job keeping the company transparent. Keep focusing on being a leader of the advertising industry. Stick to the company’s mission.

"Not What It Use To Be"

I worked at Virool full-time

Pros

Amazing office with a great balcony. Meals and snacks. The people are incredibly friendly and genuine. An awesome onboarding process and culture. But that was then...let me clarify what's going on with the next section.

Cons

While the pros above were all great at the time, they have since been removed or deteriorated. One of the biggest problems at this point is the massive exodus that's taken place because of the CEO. He refuses to step down and employees are tired of his lies. "funding is coming" is now a running joke among current and ex-employees who laugh at Alex. "He couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it." is a common phrase among other less than appropriate for glassdoor.

One of the values of the company is transparency, however, this company is more of a black hole. Here's some real transparency. There are multiple current lawsuits against Virool and it's CEO, Alex, that are all public record. They range from alleging breach of contract, financial fraud, and failure to pay. The company has reduced in size from what was an 85 person company, down to a few mid-level managers and a handful of jr. employees. Alex's co-founder left the company because he no longer had faith in its future and did not want to be associated with the allegations that were quickly swallowing the company. The company is not profitable. Sure, you may be able to claim you are profitable if you ignore the outstanding balances owed to partners and publishers, not to mention the compounding lawsuits that are asking for millions, but that's not the definition of profitable.

If you are evaluating Virool, take a moment to do your research. While there are still good people working there (outside of the CEO), turn over a few rocks before you pin your Silicon Valley dream on a company that has lost its way. Reach out to current and ex-employees to get a feel for the day to day, pull up the public records from the SF and LA county civil court docs and make an educated decision for yourself.

Ex-employees do not want the company to fail or the CEO to fail. They simply hope that Alex will do what is right for those who are left and choose to salvage what he can by stepping down. He has lost the respect of the current employees there and will never be able to get it back. As one previous review mentioned: "Alex would burn down the world if it meant he could rule over the ashes" might be the truest statement about Alex that one will ever hear.

Advice to Management

I know it's a hard thing to let your baby go. To give up something you have taken care of since day one, to look inward and to acknowledge that what you have built is great, but has outlived you. A true leader knows when you bow out because his priorities are his employees and their future. Do the right thing, admit that you are not the future of Virool and gracefully let go. You will sleep better at night, your employees will inhale new breath and the chance of survival for Virool will be given a fighting shot.

Mar 14, 2017 – CEO

As a CEO, I believe in creating a transparent, honest and collaborative work environment for all Viroolians and felt personally responsible to address your concerns. First, I highly encourage anyone... More

"Finance/Accounting"

Former Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Virool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any reasons, really... Maybe some free yummy food when Alex spoils his friends for there b-days. I didnt even get a card for my b-day but then again I am a no body I just collected and cleaned up a lot of a mess some kids created.

Cons

Kids without experience with big titles, that in order to fit in you would have to be there friend or Alex.. soo wrong.. Pretty annoying to never been appreciated for my work, Oh and they got rid of me without a notice a diaper bag, soo wrong and discriminating..

Advice to Management

get rid of Alex, or alex go away.

Jan 23, 2017 – Head of Global Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback and disappointed that you had such a negative experience in your time here. As a global company, we are proud of our diversity and inclusiveness and treat all employees... More

"Memories that will last a lifetime"

I worked at Virool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed and loved every single moment that I got to spend at Virool over the last year. The team, energy, and all the crazy marketing stunts that we did created memories that will last a lifetime. At Virool, I truly felt at home and where I could have an impact on culture and product direction. In my limited work experience thus far, Virool has grown to become a family and I loved working here. The people I met there have become friends for a lifetime.

Cons

At times, some projects felt disorganized and I felt overworked. The upper management needs to set more clear goals for their departments, that would allow us to do our job more efficiently.

Advice to Management

Please align on your vision and work closely with all managers to set clear goals for all individuals.

"Avoid at all costs"

I worked at Virool full-time

Pros

- Great people (although most have left or are thinking of leaving)
    - Catered lunches 3 days a week
    - Snacks
    - Alcohol

Cons

- Inexperienced leadership
    - Stubborn and incompetent CEO
    - Lots of politics
    - Unprofessional and almost toxic work environment
    - Comp is below industry average

Advice to Management

Just sell and get out.

"Virool - The definition of Work Hard Play Hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virool full-time

Pros

Its hard to find a company that at an entry level position, you not only have a voice, but can have a serious impact on the company. Virool is that and much more. There are constantly new opportunities to step up and be a leader, no matter the seniority or stature.

The culture itself, may be on of the best aspects about Virool. From day one, you are brought into a close-knit family of people, that care about your success in and out of the office. I enjoy coming to work (even on my worst day), because I know that the people around me will support and help me through the highs and lows.

Lastly, Virool promotes the idea of being a Green Banana. This notions, is never being content with what you know or your abilities. You should always be improving and pushing yourself to learning more, and the people at Virool will hold you to that. This is truly an amazing trait for any organization (especially when it is organic and not forced).

Cons

Working at a start-up is going to always have certain cons. First, a company is started and as it grows, the structure is built. This can be troubling when looking for set in stone career path. Virool doesn't have a career path fully set, but is something being ironed out everyday.

The next thing is most people don't work a typical 9-5 job. In a start up, there is always more to do or things to fix. This means, on occasion, people work late nights and weekends to make sure everything is working smoothly. Luckily, the people around you can make any long night feel a lot shorter.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have, is making sure to get a career path set. There is nothing worse than working hard without an end goal in sight. There is also nothing more satisfying, than meeting a set goal or even better, blowing it out of the water.