WNBA Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at WNBA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start if interested in sports marketing. Will gain a lot of experience.

Cons

Pay is low, sometimes leadership is unorganized

2. "I Loved Playing in the WNBA!"

Former Employee - Professional Basketball Player in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Professional Basketball Player in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at WNBA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Playing with the best women's basketball players in the world is amazing.
    The fans really love the game and appreciate the players.
    Traveling seeing different cities in America.
    Connecting with the community through events, basketball clinics, autograph signing and the like.

Cons

The schedule is a bit demanding.
    Travel can be inconvenient.

Advice to Management

Hire former players and those with experience working with professional teams to coach and work in the front office. Their experience and expertise will lend to a better work environment.

3. "Postivie Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Working in the sports industry with many great people

Cons

Sometimes can be too many hoops to jump through to get something green lighted. More freedom needed

Advice to Management

Allow people more freedom and give out goals, expectations and compensation details out sooner. Too much time wasted planning

4. "Exciting if you know the right people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

-Interesting work
    -Exciting to be in the sports industry
    -If you get connected (make friends) with the right people (this does not require doing actual work) you will be given great opportunities.

Cons

-Promotions/new hires based on being friends not on past experience or ability.
    -While there is a lot of talk to increase sales and visibility very little is done due to lack of acknowledgment by managers

Advice to Management

Hire and promote based on ability and experience!

5. "Good place to start, needs improvement to succeed"

Pros

Good work life balance, flexible PTO, laid back atmosphere

Cons

career progression is cloudy, confusion among senior management team, poor communication to employees

Advice to Management

Reward tenured employees, find better incentives to keep employees around (not necessarily financial)

6. "Sales Consultant."

I worked at WNBA full-time

Pros

There were no pros. This job was terrible. I worked for the Dallas Wings. Everything about it was bad. Terrible management.

Cons

The WNBA isn't a priority in any way for the NBA. We had terrible management that was fired within 3 months of their selection. They held commission from the salespeople for months, claiming that they were "still working on it." Hours are terrible. Sports sales is a huge scam.

Advice to Management

Stop preying on college kids and acting like these jobs are doors to bigger opportunities in sports. You're just a run of the mill salesperson. Be up front about that. Also, don't withhold commission and expect people to survive on terrible salaries.

7. "They claim their culture to be changing, but it's all talk."

I have been working at WNBA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work if your trying to break into the sports world (but then get out quickly). Its an even better place to work if you're gay (easier promotions).

Cons

Over-worked, over-stressed coupled with under-valued and under-paid is not a good combination. They expect you to work the job of 2-3 people and the pay is not competitive. They under value certain positions. If you are not gay, you will have a tough time being promoted here (I hate to mention this point, but it's the truth). People don't stay here long, unless your batting for the right team and keep getting 1-2 promotions per year... They talk about changing the culture, but it's all talk.
    Unless you're a manager, they don't value your opinions. A non-manager can have an idea that gets shot down but if a manager brings up the same idea, it's all the sudden brilliant. Mangers also take credit for other people's work.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better! Don't ask them to do management level work, with entry level pay. Treat all employees fairly regardless of sexual orientation. Give credit where credit is due. Don't make people feel bad for coming up with an idea that may not be directly in their job title.

8. "My experience was informative, fun, and rewarding."

Former Employee - Player
    Former Employee - Player

Pros

Some of the best reasons is the people. The relationships I have established throughout my career with WNBA are lifelong and will continue to help me achieve success in my next career.

Cons

The downsides are few. But one is the turnover. The stress of what have you done for me lately. And most of all is the travel.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to establish some type of program to help in players transition once they retire. Currently there are no programs to help or benefit retired players.