Waiter.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Craig Cohen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best delivery job in the industry"

Current Employee - Driver in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Driver in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Waiter.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for all the food delivery companies in the SF bay area and Waiter.com is by far the best. They take care of their employees (yes employee, not 1099 contractor). You get hourly pay, health benefits, food benefits, bonuses, tips, etc. It all adds up to be a very generous job. As long as you work hard you can work your way up here but there are some people who just show up and do their job every day as a good college gig. There's a lot of people who have been working here for years and I can see why.

Cons

You need a car/truck that gets good decent mileage. My truck gets around 23mpg highway and it works out OK. Eventually I plan on buying a Prius and the gas savings alone will pay for the monthly payments. Also, be honest with your insurance. Your rates will go up, but make sure you are covered.

Advice to Management

The high tipping jobs seem to get distributed towards veterans (though there are many to go around). This seems unfair to many people but I understand why it is that way. There are customers who spend literally over $100,000 a month on food and they don't want to send someone on their first week to such an important customer. I feel like I've received good opportunities and I take full advantage of the generous benefits that are provided. Thanks for everything it really means the world for me and beats working for DoorDash, GrubHub, PostMates, and Caviar.

2. "Delivery Manager"

I have been working at Waiter.com full-time

Pros

This is the perfect place for a part-time employee looking for maximum payoff. The work is very manageable. The team really cares about your well being. Really fun place to work.

Cons

Business can be a slower during the holiday season resulting in less work for the employees unfortunately.

3. "Dispatch/Delivery Driver"

Current Employee - Assistant Delivery Supervisor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Delivery Supervisor in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Waiter.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working for Waiter.com for just under 5 years and have been very happy with my job. There is room to advance and plenty of ways to make a few extra dollars if you put in effort.

Cons

The only cons are using your own car and gas, but you are reimbursed for each delivery. The uniform shirts are extremely hot.

Advice to Management

Yes but most management doesn't leave so the positions are hard to come by.

4. "Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Waiter.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have alot of business so thats good. They have benefits. They pay hourly and then an additonal $9 or so depending on the size of the order

Cons

I know that in all that biz there are sweet orders but they don't give them to new people. They instead give the long haul routes out which prevent you from getting others because they want you to come all the way back and then get dispatched (to pick up labels) again to another city or sometimes the same one. Also they close at like 8 so late night driving unless your a long time driver is closed.

Advice to Management

Get a better app that way you could cut down on (many) communication issues. I've worked at other jobs and they use a tip pool to split all the tips evenly, that way you don't have to race all the other guys back to the shop. Also how do you guys still have paperwork?

5. "The Best College Job"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Waiter.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's old school here - the harder you work, the more respect you gain among the management. The managers are also very felixable when it comes to working students so long as you actually communicate with them.

Cons

You gotta use your own car and if its not fuel efficient than you lose money.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but be more organized.

6. "easy job but bad career"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Waiter.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

super easy job. just pick up from restaurants and drop off the food at the customers/company. some companies and customers tip really well while others don't tip at all.

Cons

no real chance to move up in the company. poor benefits and you often end up getting yelled at for delays or someone else's mistakes. some customers are extremely rude

7. "Not so hot"

Former Employee - Administrative/Data Entry in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative/Data Entry in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Waiter.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good or OK if you drive or own youro wn car and are willing to put up with their routes and all the orders of particularly snotty high tech individuals and companies Waiter.com feeds and feeds off of. IF you are admin oriented like myself, not so hot. Much pressure to complete all tracking of open orders even when outcomes were doubtful. Supervisors seemed bigger than their pants.

Cons

Ageist, mediocre supervisory staff. The tipoff was during the second interview with the kid I was assigned to work under. HE asked me if I had any problems working "with people under 35."Not particularly, I said. After being informed I had a five week getting-to-know the job period they let me go after just two weeks. I am inclined to think it was because of my age, since they threw out that red flag early in the interviewing process. The job itself was dull and stressful in its own fashion. I didn't mind walking away in the least.

Advice to Management

Back up your words with actions and be honest about what you want and are willing to accept. If you don't want older people, that's one thing but don't lead them on into thinking you'll take them for more than two weeks, because you obviously want "people under 35" not mature workers.

8. "Awesome place to make an impact and gain experience"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Waiter.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very supportive and accessible leadership team; open-door policy and you feel that they care for your professional and personal growth
    Casual environment where ideas are welcome
    Diverse team that plays well together
    Learn a lot of new skills and you can make an immediate impact to the company vs working for a big "corporation" where you're just a small fish in a big pond

Cons

Still growing so there's always room for refinement; just have to learn to deal well with ambiguity at times
    You sometimes have to wear a lot of different hats and work well independently (leadership is there if you need it but you should know how to come up with solutions on your own)
    Operates lean and scrappy so don't expect to chill and do the bare minimum (you will stand out if you do)

Advice to Management

Keep balancing the hard work with some fun to maintain morale
    Would love to see the company scale nationwide!

9. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Waiter.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

LEAN company which allowed easy access to all levels from all levels in the organization.
    CEO is open to ideas and suggestions from everyone and follows through with an open door policy
    Committed to to grow/promote from within and works to identify and develop skills and strengths in every employee
    Committed to transparency and keeping everyone at the company informed with plans and the state of the company

Cons

the need to be as optimized and streamlined as possible for every shift every day can lead to stress, but also keeps the job exciting and prevents stagnation
    hard work is rewarded but at times you need to make certain you promote the hard work that you do

10. "Waiter.com delivery driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Waiter.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is very little supervision. Opportunities to make tips and you are reimbursed for gas/mileage as well as cell phone data use

Cons

Inevitable wear and tear on car and you have little control over how far you drive. First come first serve basis

Advice to Management

Emphasize driver gratuity more