techweek Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Katy Lynch

"Tons of exposure to tons of startups"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Fast-paced work environment that forces you to learn new skills and get out of your comfort zone
    -Smart co-workers that know how to get stuff done
    -Lot's of growth: Techweek has added 5 new conference cities since I've been here
    -Immersive exposure to startups and the tech industry
    -Fun work environment with a "work hard, play hard" feel

Cons

-Long hours; lack of work-life balance
    -Compensation is not great
    -Lack of clearly defined roles leads to confusion

Advice to Management

The most recent changes to the team and the company direction seem to be working. Stick with them and Techweek should continue to grow and be successful.

"The truth about Techweek"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Techweek offers flexibility and freedom to perform you job. Nobody will hold your hand so there is a lot of opportunity to take the reigns and build something of your own. Employees are generally kind and fun to socialize with. There are flexible hours and unlimited paid time off. Benefits are basic but cover the essentials. Perfect environment for someone who is very scrappy, entrepreneurial, and willing to wear a lot of hats!

Cons

Unfortunately the old reviews are true. The company is run by terrible leaders. Employes are referred to as "smart" or "not smart." Other times people are referred to using a rainbow of politically-incorrect terms. Sexism scandal aside, this company values attractive women who will mix and mingle in low-cut tops at all social events. Scare-tactics, intimidation, and relentless gossip will fill your days. If you are curious about the state of the company, just ask one of the many vendors knocking on the doors for outstanding payments. Turnover is incredibly high, seeing as we have our 2nd CEO in less than a year. Most former employees leave on bad terms or were fired - likely around the holidays! Catching up with Techweek colleagues usually consists of "I should just quit" or endless stories of anything noted above.

Advice to Management

Do the opposite of everything you're currently doing. Katy Lynch brought in energy, excitement, and positivity. The company needs more of this to survive!

"A Riveting Experience"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at techweek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the place to be if you enjoy autonomy and influence. Once you have proven yourself to the team, anything and everything is possible. There is little red tape here. Good suggestions are always implemented and input is valued. The hard work ethic is infectious and we generally just have a fun time joking around and enjoying one another's company. This is also a great place if you are looking to meet anyone in technology as we travel almost every month connecting with the tech scenes in Chicago, New York, Miami, LA, Kansas City, Detroit, and now Havana. We are adding even more cities in 2016. We have a lot of cool things in the works!

Cons

Only consider Techweek if you have a passion and a vision that you want to see to the end. No one is going to hold your hand here. This is a company filled with the best and brightest people that are fervently working toward a common goal.

Advice to Management

Greater transparency between teams. Better communication.

"Exciting growing business with hard-working culture"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at techweek part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a part-timer at Techweek but feel like I was part of the full-time team. The best part of Tech week is:
    - the business is really growing and it is fun to be part of a successful effort
    - you are given (and can take) a lot of responsibility and learn a ton
    - you get to meet very interesting companies and people given all the organizations that partner
       with Techweek (its a great way to see other jobs too!)
    - if you do your job, you are appreciated - its that simple.
    - encourages risk taking and learning from mistakes
    - good communication from management re: big picture/strategy (more than I would have
      expected)

Cons

- the actual office is nothing special (physically)
    - there has been some turnover which isnt discouraged... up or out... this is good I guess but can
      be somewhat unsettling
    - put in alot of hours leading up to conferences... but the reward after a great event feels worth it!
    - fairly new management change so still figuring out their "plan"
    - not always good communication between different teams but I saw that improving too

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on listening to employees and encouraging feedback. Keep hiring really smart people that value other peoples opinions. Keep the business growing in a balanced way - don't burn out the best people.

"Half-Baked and Heartless"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Occasional opportunities to travel, network with up and coming companies, lots of free alcohol and snacks, a pivot step to a better job.

Cons

Work life balance, quantity over quality, everyone is stretched thin over 5 different positions, no clear chain of command beyond the conceited Chairman, obsession with looking good over actually being good, bogus comp-plan, a culture of spin & sexisim over honesty and thoughtfulness.

Advice to Management

Grow up and care more. The concept is a no-brainer but you focus too much on looking "cool." Great companies take time be thoughtful and engage with every level of their community, but you were only concerned about money and parties. You missed a step.

"Absolute Nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at techweek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Met and worked with some amazing, but unappreciated people who were all either fired or quit.
    - Ridiculous expectations forced me to push my knowledge and learn new skills

Cons

- Sleazy Founder/CEO who micromanages everything, belittles everyone
    - 60-80 work weeks, getting a 'talking to' for only working 9-10 hours a day
    - No work/life balance, no value of people
    - Thrown into the deep end from day one and asked to do tasks that have nothing to do with position hired for
    - Constant restricting of company
    - Incredibly high turnover
    - No consideration of basic amenities like coffee, paper towels, etc.
    - Terrible compensation

Advice to Management

Learn to actually value people, their skills and their time.

"Negative culture, no work-life balance, poor management and leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great networking opportunities, some travel and that's about it

Cons

Salaries aren't very good, hardly any benefits and that's not the worst of it. Managers constantly micromanage, the culture is not a pleasant one - it is based on being in the office long hours and putting work before friends and family.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, treat your employees better and learn how to manage

"Dream job"

Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Chicago, IL

Pros

This company places great great effort into maintaining and sharing its core values of ethics and journalistic integrity. The products are quality and their development is customer-oriented.

Cons

Building a startup into an enterprise at a quick pace is difficult work and requires patience, ingenuity and thick skin.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop a positive culture and environment for the entrepreneurial spirit to flourish and scale as the business grows.

"life at TW"

Pros

Opportunity to learn in a fast paced environment. excellent jumping off point for someone who has little to no prior experience working in the marketing/event planning industry

Cons

very unstructured. management cares little for the well being of its employees and will not hesitate to exploit them without giving a second thought when it comes to hiring/firing

Advice to Management

hire consultant who have expertise in the event planning industry rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Change the office culture of coming in at 11am and leaving at 9pm.

"I thought startups were sexy until I came here"

I worked at techweek full-time

Pros

Preface: I worked at Techweek briefly and left promising myself I wouldn't look back once I escaped. But after hearing that the company continues to hire and deceive employees, I felt compelled to leave a note here. The bulk of the reviews on Techweek's page are honest accounts of employee experiences, not exaggerations. Lesson learned: Trust Glassdoor reviews! I didn't and I wish I had.
    You get to say you work at a startup. You can wear literally anything to work. No one cares if you show up after 10am. Sometimes no one cares if you show up at all. You learn how to execute tasks at record speed, without oversight, in functions in which you have no previous experience or training. You develop a deep empathy for the characters on Silicon Valley. You discover moral principles you never realized you had because no one had so thoroughly trampled them before. You’re always able to one-up the office horror stories of your friends who work at saner, less self-destructive companies

Cons

You’re sold a bill of good about ownership and innovation when you’re hired, only to discover that there’s only one pair of slightly-too-small pants in the office, worn by an imperious chairman with a pocket square fetish. You’re jerked around by managers who set unachievable goals and craft self-congratulatory excuses for not reaching them. Every meeting is a speech about how the company has “learned so much” and is now finally poised for unbridled success. Employees who were praised as rockstars on Monday have disappeared mysteriously by Friday. Eventually transparency, predictability, meritocracy and any semblance of professional functionality all seem like beautiful, hazy memories. You wake up one morning to the realization that going to work every day feels less like your obligation as a productive member of society and more like the next act of an absurdist play about that frog in the pot of slowly boiling water who is either too stupid or too lazy to jump out

Advice to Management

Stop emulating Uber, Zenefits and other nightmare startups praised by investors eager to overlook their ethically bankrupt employee practices. Stop playing musical chairs with employees and offices. Stop promising bonuses you know you won’t pay out. Hire an HR manager before it’s actually too late. Take a hard long look at yourself, grow a backbone and do the right thing — literally any right thing — for once