From dating to managing finances and even our health, the apps on our smartphones touch every part of our lives. However, with the thousands of apps out there it can be tough to figure out which are must-downloads and which ones are just taking up valuable space. We’ve done our research to bring you the cream of the crop, apps that will help you in one of the most important areas of life: our careers.
Whether you live to work, or work to live, here are 5 apps that will make your professional life simpler, easier and more enjoyable.
Eyeing a new job or just keeping tabs on whether the grass is greener elsewhere? Glassdoor’s Job Search App is a must. Access the latest job listings from companies hiring right now, and get an inside look at company reviews, salaries, benefits, and office photos shared by those who know the company best – the employees. Tap into the world’s most comprehensive career community to search job openings, discover your earning potential and see what it’s really like to work at thousands of companies worldwide.
• Fast and easy-to-use job search with filters
• Save jobs or apply directly from your phone so you'll never miss out on a good opportunity. Look for the “Apply on Phone” label
• Swipe on a job listing to email it, view the company profile or follow the company and more
• Use the "Know Your Worth" tool to reveal how your market value has trended over time, how your market value compares to typical workers in the same field, and also plot your current base pay.
• See job interview questions that top companies are asking
• Read company reviews from employees about the work environment, culture, senior leaders, and more
• Check out informative articles on how to update your resume, how to negotiate your salary, and how to wow recruiters in interviews.
2. Google Keep
If you brainstorm in the car, create to-do lists on the fly, and love an old-school Post-It note, this app is for you. Google Keep allows you to capture, edit, share, and collaborate on your notes on any device, anywhere. Add notes, lists, photos, and audio to Keep. Yep, that includes those void recordings you title “Note to self” and even the one entitled “Stuff to Remind the Team.” Organize your notes with labels and colors (Hello, Type A’ers) and even set reminders in your Google calendar (Wink wink, procrastinators).
• Quickly filter and search for notes by color and other attributes like lists with the label “To-dos”, audio notes with reminders or just see shared notes. Find what you're looking for even faster, and let Keep do the remembering for you.
• Share your to-do list on Keep and watch as items get checked off in real time.
• Keep works on your phone, tablet and computer. Everything you add to Keep— from meeting notes to images of new products— syncs across your devices so your important stuff is always with you.
Public speaking is hard, but Ummo makes it easier. Whether you are practicing for a presentation or interested in improving your everyday communication, use Ummo to track your "Umm"s and "Uhh"s, pace, word power, clarity, and more. After all, up-leveling in your career isn’t just about completing assignments on time and being reliable. Real career progression boils down to the soft skills that you are honing in and out of work. Strong public speaking skills are essential for every industry and at every level. Ummo is a public speaking coach in your pocket.
• Tell Ummo exactly what filler words and phrases you want to track, and toggle features like curse-word detection on/off at any point.
• Just click the record button to start and again to stop. Ummo will listen to and analyze your speech as you talk.
• Ummo will generate a report card for your speech with all the customized metrics you care about.
Stay connected and up-to-date with your professional network by downloading the LinkedIn app. It’s not enough to simply update your LinkedIn profile when your job hunting, but you want to stay informed on what’s happening in your industry, what your peers are doing, breaking business news and follow influencers you admire. The social network is a great place to share articles, videos and even track your accomplishments.
• Your profile is more than just your resume, it shows the world who you are, what you’re interested in and what you’ve accomplished in your career.
• Keep in touch with your network; see updates on activity within your network.
• Write posts and share knowledge, stay updated and discover important news in today’s competitive world.
With the growth of remote teams and contract workers, it has never been more important to effectively manage and collaborate. Asana is an investment work making to manage projects and keep everyone on task. Asana is the easiest way for teams to track their work and get results. From tasks and projects to conversations and notifications, Asana enables teams to move work from start to finish. It’s simple to get started, but powerful enough to run your entire business. And it’s free.
• Create tasks, to-dos, reminders, and requests from anywhere in the app (or from your home screen, with the widget). Create projects to organize your tasks as lists or boards
• Add due dates, assignees, followers, details, and files to your tasks
• Asana integrates seamlessly with many other apps, including Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Slack, Evernote, Github, WordPress, Jira, Mailchimp, Zendesk, Xendo and many others.