Strong leadership. A dedication to the company mission. Belief in building company culture. Transparent and approachable.
These are the common themes of exceptional leaders and a few of the attributes that inspire employees to rate their CEOs highly. As a result, Glassdoor recognizes those superb executive leaders through our annual Employees’ Choice Awards, honoring the Top CEOs in 2019. The leaders featured on these lists aren’t just helping their businesses drive revenue or acquire new customers — they’re engaging, motivating and uplifting their teams, as demonstrated by the reviews employees have left on Glassdoor.
This year, the Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Awards for the Top CEOs feature six distinct company categories across the U.S., Canada, UK, France and Germany. In the U.S., Glassdoor has revealed the 100 Top CEOs (honoring CEOs at employers with 1,000 or more employees) and the 50 Top CEOs at small & medium companies (honoring CEOs at employers with fewer than 1,000 employees).
A true inspiration and innovator, VMWare’s CEO Pat Gelsinger (99% CEO approval rating) is a first-time #1 winner, jumping 77 spots from #78 last year with 92 percent approval. This is the third time he’s been recognized as a winner of the award.
"Fostering an innovative company culture is paramount to us at VMware, especially now as we enter our next phase of growth," says Gelsinger on the eve of his win. "Ours is one of those rare work environments where our people understand they have an opportunity to transform the impossible into the essential. That translates directly to high employee satisfaction. The way our people believe in our mission and how they feel about the company – those are reflections of our culture. That’s incredibly inspiring to me personally, and it validates our spirit of innovation."
The ten Top CEOs in 2019 in the U.S. are:
1. VMware’s Pat Gelsinger (99 percent approval)
2. H E B’s Charles C. Butt (99 percent approval)
3. In-N-Out Burger’s Lynsi Snyder (99 percent approval)
4. T-Mobile’s John Legere (99 percent approval)
5. Adobe’s Shantanu Narayen (98 percent approval)
6. Microsoft’s Satya Nadella (98 percent approval)
7. McKinsey & Company’s Kevin Sneader (98 percent approval)
8. LinkedIn’s Jeff Weiner (97 percent approval)
9. Intuitive Surgical’s Gary S. Guthart (97 percent approval)
10. Best Buy’s Hubert Joly (97 percent approval)
The five Top CEOs at Small & Medium Companies in 2019 in the U.S. are:
1. Health Catalyst’s Dan Burton (99 percent approval)
2. Digital Prospectors’ Jessica Catino (99 percent approval)
3. Oscar Health’s Mario T. Schlosser (99 percent approval)
4. Weave’s Brandon Rodman (99 percent approval)
5. South Carolina Federal Credit Union’s Scott Woods (99 percent approval)
Congratulations to all of the CEOs honored, and thank you to the employees who shared their feedback on Glassdoor — it is due to both of you that organizations worldwide are becoming better, more transparent places to work.
Think your CEO deserves to make next year’s list? Share a review, and it will be considered for Glassdoor’s 2020 Employees’ Choice Awards.
Employers — wondering why your CEO didn’t make the list, and how you can become eligible for next year’s awards? Read here.
*Each list was compiled using Glassdoor’s proprietary algorithm, and each CEO approval rating determined based on the quantity, quality and consistency of reviews during the period of eligibility. For the full methodology, visit here.