MathWorks

www.mathworks.com

A place where you can make a difference every day

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Natick, MA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Natick, MA

Pros

There's a reason so many people apply for jobs at MathWorks. And there's a reason so many stay for a long time.
+ Your opinion matters - even (perhaps especially) if you just started.
+ Lots of interesting projects, collaboration with other teams, and an opportunity to shine
+ A culture of respecting and investing in each other
+ Great work environment with individual offices, new facilities, and many perks
+ Profitable every quarter with a generous profit sharing plan

Cons

This isn't the right place for someone who:
+ wants a lofty title. MathWorks is a somewhat flat organization where titles aren't really used.
+ needs to work from home regularly. Work from home is generally limited to three times a year.
+ is a loner who likes to work independently. It's all about collaboration.

Stay the course!

Other reviews for MathWorks

Casual workplace, exciting products, but modest compensation package

Pros

* Casual, laid-back environment.
    * Friendly people.
    * Autonomy to do your work.
    * Consistent and strong company growth.

Cons

* Permanently under construction. It seems every month a parking lot/garage shuts down for construction.
    * Inferior compensation package. Paying my bills has been easier.
    * Lots of pressure to make deadlines during heavy releases.
    * Each person cares only about his/her immediate responsibilities. Asking someone to review your stuff is like dropping it in the garbage.
    * Stunted career progression. There is *some* promotion potential, but it is very limited. I fully expect to have the same title and work responsibilities a decade from now - if I am still here.
    * Time-consuming annual reviews. Does anyone negatively review someone else? It seems these are all lip service. Just assume the reviews are positive, because they always are, and let us focus on our work.

Stay the course. Whatever you're doing, it works. Profit margins are wide and growth is strong, consistently.

...but consider making compensation more competitive with the rest of the job market. Lots of local companies are ready to pay more for the same work. With the local cost of living (Boston = second most expensive metro area in the country), we need compensation packages that allows us to pay our bills and save for retirement without undue stress. Not seeing it here.

...and please, give construction at least a 2-year break. Please. I'll work outside if need be. But just stop.

Stable Company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Stable company, friday cookies, Summer outings, wednesday breakfasts, Quaterly Bonuses.

Cons

Average gross pay. Review system is a waste of time. Managers will decide the rating way before the employees writing their reviews, so it's a mere waste. Promotions are based on the seniority and not based on skill set.

There are newer employer reviews for MathWorks.

Worked for MathWorks? Contribute to the Community!