There are newer employer reviews for Universal Instruments

Universal used to be a nice place to work, now it's just frustrating.

Current Employee - Engineering/Technical  in  Conklin, NY
Current Employee - Engineering/Technical in Conklin, NY

I have been working at Universal Instruments

Pros

The facility is nice and people are considerate & friendly. Nice rural location without much traffic. Easy access to RT 81North or South. The profit sharing bonus is a nice annual financial incentive.

Cons

Management constantly changing direction and believing changing the name of a product and or software immediately makes the product better and more appealing to customers. Salaries are just about 1/2 of comparable jobs in the Binghamton area. Like many of Universal's employees I have worked elsewhere and seen better and worse, but lately the morale is pretty poor. The founders of this company would be sick about how this company has changed in the past 10 years!

Management needs to seriously consider selling to someone who comprehends the industry. Understanding your employees are trying to make a living on the same wages they got 10 or more years ago makes it impossible to survive in today's economy. You need to do whatever it takes to maintain the engineering and technical skills necessary to make sure this business survives. The attitude "we can get anyone off the street to do your job" just is not true for people with specialized skills.

25 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Instruments (View Most Recent)

Executive Management Have No Respect

Current Employee - Unspecified Contributor  in  Conklin, NY
    Current Employee - Unspecified Contributor in Conklin, NY

I have been working at Universal Instruments

Pros

Nice corporate setting. Small fitness facility on Site. Interesting (but outdated) technology. Diverse work. Friendly staff and good camaraderie.

Cons

Binghamton area is poor and underdeveloped. There is not much to do. Low job mobility.
    Management treats people very poorly. SW running systems is outdated and unstable and many people have left so institutional knowledge is gone. Makes work difficult.
    Many parts are sole sourced and company treats suppliers poorly so there is a high stress that suppliers could shut down the company - job security. Employee moral is very low. There is not much support for training or providing needed resources. There are usually two unpaid shutdowns every year, which leaves little room for planned vacation.

Management will not listen to advice. If you were to give it they would fire you.

Difficult

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Binghamton, NY

I have been working at Universal Instruments

Pros

Great co-workers and strong history

Cons

Management needs to value good employees

At the end of the day, we are all judged by how we treat those around us

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Instruments

Worked for Universal Instruments? Contribute to the Community!