ASPCA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ASPCA Interview Questions

Updated Nov 16, 2017

2.8

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASPCA.

Interview

A 45-minute phone interview that consisted primarily of personality questions with only a few minutes devoted to the job itself and my qualifications. The questions were difficult and seemed mostly to gauge how quickly I could reply.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time telling the truth made your relationship better, personal or professional.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ASPCA.

Interview

The interviewer was very courteous and polite. They used a telephone interview process that lasted approximately 30 minutes. The interviewer was clearly screening the candidates since she appeared to be reading from a checklist and there was very little dialogue surrounding the answers provided.

Interview Questions

• They used a classic interview process with straightforward questions including, what are your top strengths and weaknesses. Also asked their values and which was most important to me and why.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ASPCA (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

After a 30-minute phone interview, I was told I was a finalist and invited to attend a panel interview consisting of five people. Only three showed up. That should've been my first clue. One of the interviewers seemed annoyed and like she didn't want to be there. After being told that I would hear back in a few days, either way, I had to follow up. It took me following up to find out that I had not been selected. Remember, ASPCA, candidates are also potential donors. Common courtesy and manners go along way.

Director Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY).

Interview

Upon application, I had a phone interview with Person 1, then a Skype interview with Person 2, then was assigned a project proposal to complete and turn in, then came in for a half-day interview with Persons 3-6. I was in a stealth job search as I already have a demanding full-time role, for which I had to take time off to participate in these interviews. I was told I would hear a response from them within a few days, as they were hoping to move quickly. When I didn't hear in a week plus, I reached out for an update. They never responded to my message, and never had the most base level courtesy to tell me they had selected another candidate, ended their search, etc. To take up this much of a candidate's time and then "ghost" is enormously unprofessional and speaks to the poor company culture. While I admire what they do for animals, you cannot do your best work with poor company culture, and how you are treated in the applicant stage is the best it will ever get for you - that's the time they are actually wooing you. Beware.

Interview Questions

• What are your feelings on euthanasia?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY).

Interview

I actually interviewed for 4 different jobs at the ASPCA over a period of about 8 months. 2 were management-level and 2 were more direct services. It's hard to give standardized feedback as I interviewed with quite a few different people in different departments-- but I will say that overall, I found their processes inconsistent and their approach to interview/screening processes, responsiveness, and attitude to be lacking coherence. During the application process for the first position, I had quite a few interviews with different staff and spent nearly a day doing fieldwork, but I also felt that I was directing the process, which is very strange as an applicant (every time I followed up asking if they wanted references, to schedule another interview, etc., they said "Sure, let's do that" and that was how the process moved forward). Ultimately, I didn't get that job (I was later told by an employee that it had seemed like I was "too nice" and they wanted a manager who would "punish" poor-performing employees.). In the second interview process, I found several of the senior staff I interviewed with to be borderline adversarial. They were argumentative and made it clear that they had a standard way of doing things (chaos) and that I was "welcome to try" to change it if I wanted to. They had pretty negative attitudes about their work, the previous person in the position (yes, they trash-talked the person who had previously held the position I was interviewing for), and lots of other things. One of the folks I interviewed with actually tried to argue with me about who was at fault in the death of a pet that had occurred about 2 months previously (a difficult story I had told her in response to a question about dealing with euthanasia). It was weird, again. After spending an entire day at their offices interviewing with senior staff and touring the facilities, I never heard from them again, even after several follow ups. Not a single response, ever, on this position, from either the people I interviewed with or HR. This was after several rounds of interviews. The 3rd and 4th positions (one I applied to and the other I was referred to) I interviewed for were below my level of experience and compensation, and it was my own mistake to continue the interview process. I received an offer for the last position and couldn't accept it as it was so far below expectation. I will say that many of the staff I met and interviewed with were passionate, kind, and dedicated people who I really liked and would have loved to work with. That being said, upper management and HR seemed disorganized, like they didn't communicate with each other, and like they frankly weren't too qualified to be managers. I think if you were in a fairly independent department in a direct service job where you didn't mind being underpaid and overseen by underqualified, overstressed managers, you could be happy here. For me, I think it's time to distance myself from the ASPCA as a potential employer.

Interview Questions

• What are your feelings about euthanasia?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to convince someone to do something they didn't want to do.   Answer Question

Manager of Federal Legislation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ASPCA (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied in December and they brought me in about 1.5 months later for an interview. I think the interview went extremely well, but there were some red flags that I spotted as a candidate. The office seemed really disorganized and there didn't seem to be consensus about the priorities of the division. At the interview, they told me to email them after 2 weeks if I hadn't heard from them. 2 weeks passed and upon reaching out to them, they told me they needed more time and I should circle back around in a few more weeks. Again, I followed-up with them at which point they said they were making their final decision and would be in touch soon. I heard nothing for months. Then after 6 months of no communication from them, I reached back out and they flippantly told me the position had been filled by an internal hire. I did not feel respected as a candidate and did not appreciate learning, well after the fact, that they had already hired someone months prior. Moreover, they ended up hiring someone that did not have the requisite legal background that was listed as a requirement in the job description.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Veterinary Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ASPCA (Urbana, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted to interview a day after I submitted my application online. It was a phone interview that consisted of questions related to experience and education. Information was shared by the interviewer about job expectations including hours, training, and pay. After the interview I was told I would hear back by that afternoon about the status of the job and if I was moving forward in the process....Nothing after that, no email, call nothing. I emailed and thanked the interviewer for the time they took to interview me (like I have done with all my jobs.) After 4 days I attempted to email again and no response. I called after waiting 3 days and left a voicemail. Again no response. I feel this is highly unprofessional and disrespectful of this manager. I am a volunteer with ASPCA's FIR team and don't think this is how the company itself treats people but this branch might be the sour apple.

Government Relations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ASPCA.

Interview

After submitting my application, I was immediately emailed asking to set up an interview. The interview was easy enough and went smoothly. I was told that I would hear back in less than a week. When two weeks went by, I reached out and was told that they were still making decisions. Two more weeks passed, and I finally received an email asking for a follow-up interview. I immediately emailed back with the times that I was free. I didn't hear back in almost a week, so I reached out again and we scheduled for the following week. Then she cancelled the interview 10 minutes before the arranged time because of a meeting and said she would email me the next day to reschedule. I was cordial and respectful, and I told her that I understood. She didn't email me the following day, so I emailed her and we planned for the following week once again. Then she emailed me late in the evening the night before the interview was scheduled saying that they were no longer looking for interns. I spent 4 weeks trying to make a second interview happen only to be told the position was filled after being strung along. The entire process felt extremely unprofessional and frustrating.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online using the standard form but had a very impassioned cover letter, which I believe is why I received a call to interview despite experience that didn't exactly line up. The first interview, with my direct superior to-be went extremely well, and I was excited for the potential to improve and grow the campaign. My call back interview was with her superior, who seemed to have no intention of improving anything about the campaign, and flat out said that they would just be pushing the exact same ideas/agenda they had been, rather than looking for new angles. From my experience, I'd say that those highest in the company seem resistant or slow to change and would not be receptive to new ideas.

Director of Safety & Security Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ASPCA.

Interview

Couple of days after submitting application online, received an email to set up a phone interview with HR. Phone interview went well, normal "get to know you" questions. About a week or two later received an email to interview with hiring manager. This was also a phone interview. Interview went well asking about current roles and responsibilities. Overall interview went great and non-intimidating.

Interview Questions

• Can you relate to the mission of the ASPCA and how do you feel about it?   Answer Question