Achievement First Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Achievement First Interview Questions

Interviews at Achievement First

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Achievement First.

Interview

They do a really great job by setting you up with a prep call before the finalist interview. Each call along the way is conducted by different staff members and a great chance to hear all of their thoughts about AF. Definitely recommend doing the research to make sure you’re the right fit! Overall, I had a positive experience with the interview process.

IT Intern Interview

Interview

A little long but not so bad. People were very nice and helpful. A long interview though so you have to be patient. They asked a lot of questions related to using computer and how familiar you are with that

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where you had to ue your teamwork skills   Answer Question

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Achievement First (Bridgeport, CT) in August 2020.

Interview

You have a pre-interview conversation with the recruiter who guides you through questions the interviewer may ask you. If you write down his recommendations, you will have a successful interview when it comes times to answer!

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in a classroom that represents classroom culture?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Achievement First.

Interview

The interview process was a phone call interview. The hiring manager was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. I was told they have a list of names they would like to contact again in the future, should a position arise.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Achievement First.

Interview

First their was an informal 30 minute phone call with a recruiter. Then, a formal interview was set up. It lasted about an hour and you were expected to teach a lesson and answer a few questions.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Achievement First (New Haven, CT) in July 2020.

Interview

It was quick, informative, and positive. I enjoyed getting to know the recruitment person and the school. First, there was a phone interview, then a final interview with a demo lesson and questions asked to each candidate.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest thing working with other people?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I interviewed at Achievement First in July 2020.

Interview

3 step process.

1. Invited to complete an analytics take home challenge. You have a week to complete this challenge. It's requirements are not too constricted and you can choose what you hand in. I chose to hand in a Jupyter Notebook with the code I used to explore the data alongside a report around 4 pages with a slide deck to go with it.

2. Invited to a 30 minute video interview with two members of analytics team. Basically consisted of me presenting the deck I had made previously and answering questions about it.

3. A nearly 4 hour video interview consisting of 4 45 minute long "modules" (case interviews). None were as challenging as something you would see in the consulting world. The first of these was an analysis of a presentation made and how you would improve it. Definitely be familiar with best practices in data visualization and data storytelling (skim through Cole Nussbaumer's book). Second was a simple walk through a communication style scenario, you don't really need to prepare for this. Third module was a project planning exercise. You're given an example requirements document for an analytical report and you have to walk through how you go about planning this exercise and creating a timeline for it. The last module was the most analytical. You're given an example database schema and asked how you would manipulate it to assign new encoding based on a set of rules. I would brush up on SQL for this portion.

There were behavioral interview questions used in all these modules in the latter part of the interview. They actually give you the behavioral questions beforehand which was great. But i suck at behavioral interviews so it didn't matter. Overall, I thought the duration of this exercise was definitely overkill for the compensation being offered.

Director Interview

Interview

I understand that no person will move forward in all searches. However, I applied for several roles at AF over time and interviewed each time which means that there must be a fit somewhere. Still, I was unsuccessful in each case. The third time I was interviewed it was actually the company that had reached out to me. However, the recruiter got back to me, after the interview, and said that, because the role was similar to the second to which I applied, the HR “team” would not be moving me forward. I ask that AF therefore better align their HR functions/communication among team members. While I don’t mind speaking with organizations multiple times, it would be nice to know that the conversation isn’t a waste of time before it was even had. Also, in the second interview, we spent a lot of time discussing X but I was told that I would not be moving forward because of Y. I appreciate the feedback which I can use in interviews moving forward, However, had I known I did not discuss Y to full measure at the time of interview, and I did ask about any holes in my interview, I could have discussed this. I therefore ask that AF consider additional ways to solicit information from candidates if it feels that it is not receiving it....perhaps have certain scripted questions it can make sure are answered.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Achievement First in June 2020.

Interview

It was a thorough interview process and AF followed up quickly. They were always clear about timelines, what to expect, etc. My interviewers were kind and personable - easy to connect with. My first recruiter shared that the organization has shifted in recent years to develop a more positive approach to discipline and away from "no excuses." I later could tell from the verbal commands suggested in the sample lesson and the feedback on my teaching that the classroom culture continues to be rigid and control each and every move of students. My impression is that the warm and supportive environment they advertise is an effort to distance themselves from a highly criticized approach to discipline, but in reality little has changed. From teaching my sample lesson, it was clear that the classroom culture is centered on highly rigid discipline, but it is now advertised as aspirational values about choosing joy in learning. I suggest you research the reputation of the organization and decide if it's the best fit for your approach to education. I was surprised/concerned by additional information that I found after my interview.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Achievement First.

Interview

It was smooth and the recruiter prepared me for my lesson and the interview. The principal was a tough interviewer but he was fair and clarified his motives around the tough questions.

Interview Questions

• What challenges or opportunities do you see with working with a mostly white staff with black and brown children?   1 Answer