Afton Chemical Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Afton Chemical (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Fairly straight forward..... the company is more interested in your ethics and values then what you know. They are willing to invest in training for you if they feel you are of high character

Interview Questions

• What would you consider to be your greatest accomplishment to date?   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Afton Chemical.

Interview

I submit my resume through campus recruiting, after one week, I got a message from the HR for a phone
    screening. A few days later I heard that I am not selected.

Interview Questions

• General questions like how do you know about our company, and asked whether need sponsorship.   Answer Question

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Afton Chemical (Richmond, VA) in February 2011.

Interview

Recruiter Aerotek contacted me due to my resume in the Monster database. Aerotek was extremely proactive and set up a phone interview with about 5 personnel. Phone interview was not technical but more of a getting to know more about me through my resume.
    On-site interview 3 weeks later consisted of a presentation, 1:1 with about 10 different personnel and lasted all day.
    Overall, a pleasant experience but they were probably looking for a hands-on scientist not wanting a quick growth up the corporate ladder which they may have sensed in my desire for career growth and hence no offer.

Interview Questions

• How I have handled conflicts in my work atmosphere?   1 Answer

Applications Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Afton Chemical (Richmond, VA) in June 2018.

Interview

A typical chemist half day interview with a presentation. I was looking to put at ease concerns raised while reading reviews here and on the indeed sites. And I can tell you that I have left Richmond with impression that Afton is slowly changing for better but has a long way to go. It is a highly political place with closed minded fraction that would make it difficult for any foreign or a minority or a woman to succeed. You can join here and help them, but know it will be an uphill battle. Most people were great but few (statistically speaking) could make it hard to thrive.

Senior R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Afton Chemical (Saint Louis, MO) in December 2011.

Interview

One hour phone screen with the HR representative followed by an on-site interview. The on-site iterview was scheduled quickly; a few days after the screening interview. At the on-site I met with the hiring manager, two peers, operations manager and HR representative. Each interview was different with what appeared to be their own questions; that is, there seemed to be no apparent script.

Interview Questions

• Reviewed my work experience, especially as related to the position.   Answer Question

Process Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Afton Chemical in March 2014.

Interview

A recruiter has arranged the interview for me for their Houston, TX plant. The regional process design manager has conducted the phone interview. The guy was very nice to me, and we had very open discussion regarding the process and design issues.

Process Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Afton Chemical (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2013.

Interview

was contacted by a recruiter who stated that they want to conduct a phone screen with the hiring manager (mind you, this was some six months later... go figure). in any case, on the day of the phone screen i was contacted by someone other than the hiring manager (big mistake) and was told the hiring manager was out of town or something. this interviewer had been with the company some thirty years as a design engineer. my first thought was this guy has absolutely no ambitition. if you have been with a company thirty years and you havent made it to managent "you're doing it wrong."
    and boy was i right. they are still using chem-cad. no one still uses chem-cad. aspen is the here and now. needless to say, this guy felt threatened and most likely insulted and of course the interview went no farther.
    definitely a miscalculation on their part, especially the hiring manager. who knows how much great talent they are losing because of an interviewer who feels threatened by new candidates?

Interview Questions

• tell me what design programs you use?   2 Answers

Chemistry Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Afton Chemical (Richmond, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter set me up with a phone interview with the hiring manager. After phone interview, I was invited back to do an in-person interview with the hiring manager and one of their HR employees. I spoke with the HM for 30 minutes, he showed me the lab, and I was then passed on to the HR department. Pretty standard interview, no seriously in-depth chemistry questions or anything. This was a contract position, so had it been a direct hire position, the HM told me I would have had to have an interview with a panel composed of 3-4 people. There were several who applied for this specific job, 5 received a phone interview, 3 an in-person interview, and based on feedback to the recruiter, we were all extremely competitive with no negative responses. I was not the one to receive the offer.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Afton Chemical (Richmond, VA) in February 2019.

Interview

Met with three different people: two lab supervisors/managers and someone from HR. Spent about 30 minutes with each person answering questions. Make sure that you are prepared to ask questions, as well; it's highly encouraged.

FP&A Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Afton Chemical.

Interview

Through a recruitment agent. 2 on 1 interview. Nice people. Simple questions. More of a discussion around my experience - refreshingly didn't ask for a walk through the CV more just a chat on relevant experience to date. Ended up not progressing due to more experienced candidates in the process. Offered good advice.