Air Force Research Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

2.0

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (San Antonio, FL).

Interview

Very low key. I was mostly asked questions on my educational background and where I thought I could fit in to the organization. I actually interviewed over the phone without knowing prior to the call. So as far as that situation came about, the interview was very mild.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly based on educational background. They were very interested in computer/mathematical modeling, organic chemistry, explosives design, and design of experiments.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edwards AFB, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Edwards AFB, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Hired through a private contractor to work with AFRL civilian government.
    Initial phone interview went over work history and resume.
    On site interview met with all members of the team (~12) for an all day interview. Interview included tour of the lab, lunch and I had to give a 30-min presentation on a project that I worked on.
    Meetings with people were just to discuss my experience and why I wanted to work there.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rome, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Rome, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Had ongoing communication with my future manager for several weeks, chatted on the phone a few times, simply explaining my interests and hearing about what they do at the lab. In a way there was no formal interview, I already knew I was fairly qualified and simply looking to formalize an internship.

Interview Questions

• What are your interests with respect to the research that goes on at the lab?   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Dayton, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was conducted by telephone. They email you the interview questions prior to the interview so you have time to prepare for it. There's usually a panel of about 3-4 people and each asks a question. Most of the questions are specific to the job that you're applying for so they're not generic, "tell us about a time that you dealt with a difficult customer" type of questions.

Interview Questions

• What was my experience with research and development contract? SBIRs? BAAs?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Rome, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

After receiving an email by a contact at my University, I decided to email my resume to the Information Directorate in Rome, NY. After a couple months had passed, I was invited to participate in an all day interview. They brought in a group of about 40 soon-to-be and recent graduates (the recruiter told us that this was the first time they had ever done this), who were broken up into groups. We toured the facility, had different presentations explaining the culture and the work at the location, and each interviewed with two different divisions at the organization. They explained that those they invited for the interview day already had the technical chops to success at the Lab, so the interviews were more informal and behavioral. They were trying to feel if we would be a good fit for the team and the organization in a research position. During the interview day we had the opportunity to talk to a board of Junior employees as a Q&A session to learn more about working there and what the Lab had to offer. The Lab paid for all travel expenses (I drove from Maryland to New York and was well compensated) including travel costs and hotel stay.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions like: where do you see yourself in five years, do you work well with a team, explain some past projects, etc.   Answer Question
    • What makes you a good researcher?   1 Answer

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

Purely an application process through contracting agencies

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wright Patterson AFB, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Wright Patterson AFB, OH) in September 2012.

Interview

My team recruits from interns and contractors, i.e., people that are already known, or by recommendation. They actively recruit summer interns through connections with university professors. I used to be a summer intern and was offered the opportunity to interview for a full-time position after my internship ended.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Dayton, OH) in January 2011.

Interview

About 1.5 hours of technical questions and discussion. I was told what their groups were doing and what would be expected of me as a postdoc. I was asked several technical questions .

Interview Questions

• If I was okay with relocating to their location   1 Answer

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wright Patterson AFB, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Wright Patterson AFB, OH) in September 2009.

Interview

You must apply on USAJOBS. There is a formulaic approach to signing up through the USAJOBS website. Match the key skills (KSAs) as best you can. Spin your experience and use the same words in your response. Use all 3000 characters per session. Overwhelm the system. Use the same accomplishments in multiple areas to highlight different skill sets.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very quick and they matched my outside salary and gave a small bump.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rome, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Air Force Research Laboratory (Rome, NY) in May 2008.

Interview

Very straight forward. The interviewer asked me about my interests and programming experience. No real technical questions were asked. Afterward he let me ask questions about the different project groups which helped me to decide which ones I would be most interested in. All in all it was a very positive experience. As the job was after my first year of college, I did not have much programming experience and was able to learn quite a bit from my time there. The mentors I had were very helpful in assisting my learning process.

Interview Questions

• There were no real technical questions.   1 Answer