AlixPartners Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at AlixPartners

3.4

1. Featured Interview

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buenos Aires (Argentina)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AlixPartners (Buenos Aires (Argentina)) in January 2017.

Interview

Very long interview process but very thorough. There is a technical interview, a cognitive test, and several one-on-one interviews to determine a fit. Very good process. The result is a great company culture where everybody carries their weight and has a proactive personality.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in your career where you had to show leadership skills.   Answer Question

Vice President Turnaround and Restructuring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at AlixPartners (New York, NY) in July 2020.

Interview

Applied for VP position in the Turnaround and Restructuring practice. Was referred by an alumni in my network.

Did an initial 30 minute phone screen with the recruiter. After the phone screen went through the cognitive and behavior "tests" which have been described extensively.

To give a bit more context on the assessments there is 1) deductive reasoning 2) inductive reasoning 3) Wonderlic. I'd compare them to an IQ test. Then completed a personality assessment (~2 hours). 30-minute phone call with an organizational psychologist.

2 hour financial modelling test. At a highlevel it was building the components of a 13-week cash flow model. Including building an operating model, waterfall analysis, reconciling net-income to EBITDA, how changes in working capital effect cash, building an A/R aging with formulas, doing some basic formulaic analysis on a large data set.

After the phone screen, personality assessments, cognitive assessments, psychologist interview, and technical assessment I had an hour video interview with a Director.

After positive feedback on all of those elements, I was GHOSTED by the recruiter.

I have no problem handling rejection or acknowledging that your hiring needs might change. But it was incredibly unprofessional to not return a phone call or email after 5hs+ of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Reconcile net income to EBITDA

How does a change an increase/decrease in elements of NWC change cash.

Building a debt amortization table.

The behavioral interview was straightforward; background, experience, ambitions, etc.   1 Answer

Turn Around Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AlixPartners.

Interview

Thoughtful, deliberate, engaging, understanding and fun. Case work truly insightful and enjoyable. Did meet with clearly intelligent people that varied in their intensity. Each interview increased in transparency.

Interview Questions

• Breakdown how you build trust in a failing org to get information to assess business continuity?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AlixPartners (Dallas, TX) in February 2020.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn about the role. I applied and had a phone interview with HR, followed by two personality assessments, a written wonderlic test, an interview with the organizational psychologist and four in person interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AlixPartners (New York, NY) in January 2020.

Interview

Lengthy interview process starting with HR phone screen, followed by a director interview. Had to go through skills assessment, personality assessment, followed by a conversation with a staff psychologist. Got invited to the red carpet event (the onsite round) and after the onsite, interviewed with two of the MDs.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my ability to fit into a fast paced, high pressure environment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AlixPartners (New York, NY) in December 2019.

Interview

I had no luck submitting resumes online, I networked w/ two employees and got one to refer me. 6-8 wks later, I got a call from HR out of Dallas who did a basic screen, behavioral-based interview. She outlined the steps which included me flying out to NYC 2 wks later. I had to complete a generic employment questionnaire, an Occupational Personality Questionnaire and a Personality Pattern Inventory. I had to organize my travel details through a designated travel agent- they cover flight and they reimburse hotel and transportation (which means you have to front expenses - I am still waiting for check 5 wks later). I showed up at their office at 7:30a where I took a cognitive assessment (Wonderlic) and then a financial modeling exercise. Test included 13 wk cash flow forecast, borrowing base, a data dump where you have to utilize pivot reports and a bankruptcy waterfall exercise. Next, I had 2 interviews, a group lunch and then 1 more interview. 3 interviews total, behavioral only. When I got home, I had to do one more phone interview with their organizational psychologist.

2 weeks later I found out I wasn't selected but was offered an assessment review session which I took. 3 weeks after that, I had my review session where they told me I scored 98th percentile on the cognitive test and was a perfect match across all personality variables- no disqualifications from the assessments. I told the reviewer I was confused because I wasn't offered the job and her advice was to contact the recruiter to get feedback on the interviews and that I need to reapply. I got in touch w/ my recruiter who said it was a technical skill gap on the modeling - don't believe those that say if you're smart enough, they're willing to train you. My perception was that they use the psych. assessments as a secondary check, not as a holistic approach to candidate evaluation. In other words, you have to nail the modeling and interview just like any other place - not rely on your fit/ intelligence to compensate. Your "soft scores" won't even be reviewed by the MD's.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at AlixPartners (New York, NY) in November 2019.

Interview

Long, arduous interview process that includes a phone screen with recruiter, phone case, call with psychologist, multiple online tests, 3 fit interviews + case + tests + lunch onsite, another call with a director and finally a call with MD. HR is largely unresponsive and the process moves very slowly over two months.

Interview Questions

AlixPartners Response

Dec 20, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our interview process is thorough and we recognize it requires a mutual investment of time and effort. We strive to make this experience as seamless as possible for every candidate, however it’s disappointing that we didn’t meet your standards during the process. If you would like to discuss your experience in confidence, please feel free to reach out to me directly. -- Katie Nelson, Talent Acquisition

Enterprise Improvement Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AlixPartners (Boston, MA) in October 2019.

Interview

Rather rigorous. Multiple qualification stages before interview, including online battery of personality profiles and IQ test, and telephone psych eval with a company psychologist. Super day is approximately 6 straight hours of back-to-back-to-back interviews, another times IQ test, and a crash business case presentation and interview/defense. Interviews were fairly freeform however, as opposed to strictly scripted.

Interview Questions

• Wonderlic test given on site.   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AlixPartners.

Interview

1st and 2nd round with HR
    3rd round with Senior VP
    4th round with Director
    It takes several months to get to this firm. Any reason can be given for your rejection, so be prepared.
    Next round is on-site.
    They paired me with people from my race.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AlixPartners (San Francisco, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

30 minute phone screen was the first step. Asked you to walk through your resume, answer questions about problem solving and previous jobs, asked if I had questions. Straightforward phone screening! Let me know that next steps would be in office testing of personality and aptitude, followed by an in person interview, the total process would take 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What was your least favorite part about a previous job?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AlixPartners.

Interview

Was referred by an employee of the firm. Had a few phone calls, and an in person interview in Detroit. Case interview was part of the process. Other than that mostly behavioral stuff. Ghosted in the process. Completely unprofessional.

AlixPartners Response

Aug 16, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Candidate experience is the focal point of our recruiting process, and it’s disappointing to hear that we fell short of our standards. I will personally follow-up with our recruiting teams to ensure we are providing timely and clear communications to all of our candidates. If you’d like to discuss your experience in confidence, please feel free to reach out to me directly. Katie Nelson, Talent Acquisition.