Allen & Overy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Allen & Overy Interview Questions

Updated Nov 10, 2017

3.5

Trainee Lawyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Allen & Overy.

Interview

A lot of scenario-based questions and the interview is awfully long. For example, tell me about a time when you hold a minority viewpoint in a group. A very thorough interview. The case study was relatively easier for me. The interviewer was very personable and guided through the case. Learned a lot from the case interview.

Client Services Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Allen & Overy (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by 4 Business Services representatives. Took more than 2 hours. Reps did most of the talking. They were worried about if you were going to call out more so than if the personality fit and if I had the skills needed to perform the required duties. They reiterated that you needed to be available at any point to come in which could range from 7:30 AM - 8 PM which made it a tough fit, I feel, for anyone's schedule. Overall it took a long time to get through everyone and they repeated the same questions over and over again in different ways which made me feel that they didn't talk to one another beforehand or they should've had the interview as a group. They are also very concerned with appearance and require full make-up and to "look the part."

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Allen & Overy.

Interview

First round was an interview with a partner talking about my previous experiences and qualifications. We discussed what I liked about my previous role, what I didn't like, how I got on with my colleagues and why I was looking to change firm

Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Allen & Overy (London, England (UK)).

Interview

A personal interview, asking you questions about your CV and motivation to be a lawyer. This was followed by a practical test. You were given 20 minutes to skim read a document, and then discussed this and were asked questions by a partner. Overall, a friendly and effective interview, designed to find a strong candidate, rather than trip you up.

Interview Questions

• Skills test - asked to come up with a creative/out of the box solution to a problem that arose in the documents.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Allen & Overy (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Before the interview, there was a short proof reading test.

The questions were based on competencies and I was asked to go into more detail about my CV.

The overall process lasted 3 weeks.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Allen & Overy (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Delayed process. You have to chase up HR and the recruiting team regarding the progress of the application. The management are rude and do not consider the individual as an individual, but just a meat number.

Clerkship Interview

Interview

Really relaxed and personable interview. There was a HR Rep and Partner on panel who were very approachable and seemed to want to get to know you on a personal level, rather than running through the resume

Legal Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Allen & Overy (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online which was very straight forward. The interview was standard competency based questions and quite relaxed, more of a discussion really with a HR representative and a senior associate.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you used your own initiative and the outcome of that.   Answer Question

Vacation Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Allen & Overy.

Interview

There were two interviews on the same day, each carried out by a Partner or support lawyer. The second interview was based on a case study where I had to identify potential legal issues. Both interviewers (if you're female, they will try to have at least one female interview you) were very nice and friendly and it felt like a fairly casual conversation with a friend. I was mainly asked about my background and work experience. There were no commercial awareness questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe a challenging situation I had been in and how I dealt with it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Allen & Overy (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2017.

Interview

Online application and case study interview, pretty straightforward and efficient.
    The online application form, you have to fill in a lot of details of your previous study and you have to answer several questions which are tricky. In terms of the case study interview, you will be given a mock case in regards to an M&A deal, then you have 30 minutes to discuss with other candidates in your group. After that, the partner will come in and ask questions in relation to the case one by one. Questions are all legal questions though commercial awareness is well needed.