Arnold & Porter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arnold & Porter Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2017

2.8

Associate Attorney Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Arnold & Porter.

Interview

phone screening (30 minutes) and then met with the partners and associates in the entire group (2-3 hours). Everyone was pretty nice, and the questions were not difficult. All the questions were about my past practice and academic experience.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Arnold & Porter.

Interview

The hiring partner was very friendly and personable, as was everyone who worked there. I was getting over a cold when I went in, so I didn't make the best impression. But everyone was super impressive and we talked for a long time.

Legal Resource Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arnold & Porter (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

Spoke with many individuals, but did not speak with anyone that was currently in the position. One component of the interview process included testing (spelling, grammar, and office suite proficiency).

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next job?   1 Answer

Conflicts Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Arnold & Porter (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

I thoroughly enjoyed the interviews that I went on and all of the employees that conducted them were very nice. The questions they asked were all normal interview questions and I felt like I did a good job of managing my responses. I was brought in multiple times for the same job and I think I was one of the final candidates but just might have been beat out in the end. No hard feelings, they definitely showed off the company and made it seem like an extremely desirable place to work.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions revolved around my past experience and ability to work directly with attorneys at their office. There were also a few situational questions such as, "if you were in this scenario, how would you handle it and what would you desire the outcome to be?"   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Interview

Rotated session between several interviewers. Each made the effort to portray the workplace attitude, which was very congenial and supportive. Impressed by the emphasis on work-social balance and overall well-rounded approach to employees. Interviews each lasted about half an hour, and the interviewers made an effort to make me feel comfortable.

E-Billing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at Arnold & Porter (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

why do you want to join Arnold& Porter? Walk me through your resume. Tell me about your previous work experience. What's your salary expectation?

IP Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Arnold & Porter (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

The company was very friendly and professional when setting up with interview. They asked me to go to the San Francisco office even though the job was in another location and I agreed although it was a 100 mile trip? They should have been professional enough to answer my follow up email question especially since they all encouraged me to send them in the first place.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult but the interview was done via teleconference from the DC office.   Answer Question

Patent Law Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold & Porter (Washington, DC) in July 2012.

Interview

Within a week of submitting my application on their website, they called and asked me to come in for an interview. I met with a bunch of people including the HR director, a patent agent, the manager of intellectual property administration, two associates, and a partner in the intellectual property group. The interviews lasted pretty much all afternoon.

When I first arrived, I was asked to fill out their official job application forms. After that, I met with the HR director for about 45 minutes. She was very nice and mostly asked the generic HR interview-type questions - nothing really difficult or challenging.

After that, she brought me to a conference room where I was interviewed next by the manager of the intellectual property administration. He was also very nice, but very upfront about how difficult it can be to work with a group full of "type A" personalities. He probably could have done a better job of selling the group to me, but he probably sensed that I may not have the personality that they are looking for.

Then, I was interviewed by one of the newer associates, who seemed pretty nice but demanding. He then proceeded to quiz me, as if this was my oral qualifying exam back in graduate school. I was not expecting this at all, but I believe I held my own.

Next, I met one of the patent agents, who seemed to confirm that the group was full of hard to deal with personalities. He also mentioned that the current workload was extremely high, but I suppose that was why they were hiring at that moment.

Finally, I was interviewed by one of the more senior associates and a partner. The partner seemed to be trying his best to sell the group to me, while the associate was very upfront about how difficult yet rewarding the work can be. I do not recall any particularly difficult questions from either of them.

Interview Questions

• I did not expect the oral qualifying exam-like questions from the one associate.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold & Porter (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

It was a very long and very thorough process. The biggest negative was that it was hard to work 3 1/2 day interviews into my schedule while still working somewhere else. They were also interested in references further back then I'd seen before. Initially they wanted one reference for every place I'd ever worked -- which was a pretty long list -- including my current employer. Rounding up references for places I worked last at over 10 years ago was a challenge. Otherwise, the interview process was fair and clearly I can't complain about the result.

Interview Questions

• I can't think of any particular question that was challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation

While there was flexibility shown, there was definitely a ceiling above which they would not budge.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arnold & Porter (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

Hiring manager was looking for a more technical BA to work alongside development team.

Interview Questions

• what were your responsibilities when working wth development team.   Answer Question
    • what tools have you used to manage requirements.   Answer Question