Ashoka Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ashoka Interview Questions

Updated Nov 7, 2016

A*Year Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ashoka (Washington, DC).

Interview

Requires a lot of interviews for an entry level position, but they were pretty interesting. It focuses a lot more on your story than strict work experience which was a nice change.

Interview Questions

• I dont' remember specific questions, but it was a lot about entrepreneurial experiences and how your experiences led you to Ashoka   Answer Question

Negotiation

A*Year salary is not negotiable

Internship Interview

Interview

Very casual; first Skype interview and hour and a half in person interview in Arlington office. The skype interview takes about 20 minutes and is often performed by another intern at Ashoka, so it's easy to be at ease during the whole process. The interview in Arlington is with someone more senior, but it's also lead in a very natural and casual way; as a normal conversation would go.

Interview Questions

• Questions in first round are mostly about professional behavior; the second round, they look to see if you're a good fit with the organization in terms of vision and value. So you should know a thing or two about good examples of social entrepreneurs that have changed an industry/system and talk about how it compels you   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ashoka (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through its online form, which requires quite a bit of thinking as it asks non-conventional questions. I then received an invitation to a phone interview with the Search team representative, who put me in touch with a team that fits my interest. Had my second interview with the Africa team via Skype. Each call was around 30 minutes and focused more on personality. Received offer afterwards.

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ashoka in April 2015.

Interview

Randomized and done by junior staff. Incorporating new interview procedures. They are not very clear of how this methodology will be more effective. The process was seemingly arbitrary. The interviewer was very nice.

Interview Questions

• When in your childhood did you start something and how did this impact your life towards entrepreneurial work?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ashoka (Arlington, VA).

Interview

The interview process is an interesting one and unorthodox in many ways. The process can often take upwards of two or three months and entail upwards of 6 interviews. The interview process is focussed on determining entrepreneurial traits and a proven record of creating and scaling something. There are many stages in the interview process which require you to self reflect and really identify areas where you have not only been successful but left a lasting change. While the length of the process can be frustrating the questions posed often allow you to think deeply about your work and life in ways previously undiscovered and in that sense is hugely beneficial

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something you have created or started   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Ashoka (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was invited to an interview a few months after I submitted the application. The interviewer was very professional, his questions made sense and included such questions as "Why Ashoka?", "Why you?", "Your strengths?" etc

Senior Partnerships Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

Interview

I had 5 or 6 interviews and the process took about 2 months (which is lightening speed for Ashoka)
    The process is lengthy, opaque and awfully subjective on the part of the interviewer. Ashoka hires for entrepreneurship, which is as fuzzy as it sounds.

The organization is brimming with very smart, capable, talented people who are deeply committed to the organization and it's mission. For the social entrepreneurship/change space working at Ashoka is kind of like working at McKinsey. That said there are probably a few organizations that won't want to work with you if you've been there, but not many (and that's not been substantiated just my opinion).

If you want to work here, make sure you are burning with desire to do so.

Interview Questions

• "You were born and then what?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No room to negotiate really.

A*Year Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ashoka in October 2014.

Interview

Went through three phone interviews over a six-week period. The questions really got to the core of how the applicant embodies Ashoka's principles of entrepreneurship/intrapreneurship and social innovation. Overall a productive experience -- preparing for these interviews helped me think about how I personally reflect Ashoka's model, how someone with my skills could support their office, and how I might grow (within/without the company). I just wish it was more efficient in terms of scheduling and hearing back, but nothing much you can do about a busy office!

Interview Questions

• What was something new you started in high school?   1 Answer

Interview

- Very easy phone call interview about 30 mins telling them about my experiences. All behavioral. Since the internship role is very ambiguous, they want to hear about what projects you want to do and take one.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a hard project you had. What made it hard? How did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Unpaid in New York

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ashoka (Arlington, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

Had two phone interviews and then a final in person interview with Social Financial Services Team. The first interview felt like a get to know you screen. The second interviewer delved more into my work history, describing the mission of the team and asked about entrepreneurship. The third interview was slightly incomplete.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question is how Social Financial Services team could improve their work largely because throughout the interviews, I could never get a strong grasp of what they did. Each person described the mission slightly differently and they were purposely vague on details.

The Managing Director is ultimately looking for someone with strong entrepreneurship experience. I'm unclear as to whether he read my resume prior to the interview based on the flow of our conversation. Unfortunately he had asked me to schedule a part two to continue the discussion about organizations I started but ultimately decided I was too weak in that area and not worth pursuing the discussion further. If you are interested in this organization, make sure to highlight your entrepreneurial experiences on your resume and lead with it in your discussion.
      Answer Question