Associated Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2016

2.8

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Associated Press (New York, NY).

Interview

HR isn't responsive. There is no follow up after I took time from work and went to their. Overall, It doesn't feel like to be respected from the interaction with HR. I'm surprised that AP would treat people.

Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Associated Press (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with the department head then other department members. Read over different articles to find errors. Was questioned about the field I was interviewing in. It took about two to three hours and was a good interview process.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Associated Press (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I was asked about my experience as editor. I was given an editing test that involved editing a few stories and photo captions. Everyone was nice. I didn't feel intimidated by the process. I waited a couple of weeks before I received an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable working in a fast-paced, breaking news situation?   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Associated Press (New York, NY).

Interview

Very informal interview, met with a few different staff members. Seemed pretty fascinated with what I do at my current job and couldn't seem to understand why I wanted to leave!

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Associated Press in March 2015.

Interview

Skype interview with editors. Nothing unexpected. They are interested in knowing why an applicant is interested in a specific location. They also asked me about my skills and where I see my self in a few years.

Interview Questions

• What stories are you going to do when you get here?   1 Answer

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Associated Press.

Interview

The interview was straightforward and friendly. I was asked about my journalism experience. It was more of a conversation than a grilling. Nobody tried to put me on the spot. I was asked about my approach to writing and reporting.

The Associated Press In New York Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Associated Press.

Interview

I had a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview. Met with two people and was at the office for over two hours to talk about the position. Then, radio silence. No response to follow-up e-mails inquiring about whether I was still in the running for the position. It's very unprofessional for them to not say a word -- a simple "thank you but we're not going to pursue you any further" would suffice. After I took a day off from work to go to their office, sit there for over two hours, and then travel back home in the pouring rain, the least they could do is acknowledge my e-mails. At least I know now what kind of people these are. Oh, and there was no mention of salary (not even a range). I bet the pay is very low.

News Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Associated Press (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

Newsroom interviews are seldom technical, even with technical requirements --> this might change. After you pass the resume reviews, you get to talk to the supervisors and the department head. I did a first round of three phone interviews. Then I did a in-house interview and got the offer the day after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe two or three projects you like on your portfolio site   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Interview

The initial Interview was conducted by phone. There was also a writing test that was required, which covered current events as well as general structure and style. Some of the interview questions pertained to previous experience, clips and the usual strengths and weaknesses questions. The entire process was fairly straightforward.

Bureau Chief Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Associated Press.

Interview

The interview process was standard. Nothing peculiar or unexpected. I was invited to headquarters and asked to describe my work experience and qualifications. I had been highly recommended for the job before I got there, so this wasn't a stressful encounter. I think they knew they were going to hire me before I arrived.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't much to negotiate -- they had a take-it-or-leave-it approach.