Big Spaceship Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Big Spaceship Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

Community Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Big Spaceship.

Interview

I was reached out to by some Senior workers in the company. When I booted up the conversation, they prompted me to do "homework" - some fun but important sample questions that gauged my skill in that particular line of work. They bounced back very quickly and set up an interview. The interview itself was great, but hectic; about 10 or 11 people rotated in throughout the course of two hours. Two weeks later, I followed up, and much to my surprise, they actually got back to me, but with the rejection. Overall, I'd say they were very cordial and kind, and it was great hearing about how their company functions.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach advertising to a particular product?   1 Answer

Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Big Spaceship.

Interview

First off, I'm an admirer of Big Spaceship's work, and their work ethic of creative-focused versus hierarchy. With that said, my experience with them was not what I thought it would be.

I applied to the Strategy Internship and got a response in the same day. An interview was scheduled for the next day. I thought it was awesome I got a quick response back. The interview was through Google chat with one of the strategists in the creative department. The interview was very laid back. She asked about what I was interested in, different accounts I followed, brands, etc. Once that finished, I was given "homework." I sent it earlier than the deadline, and thanked her for taking the time out to talk to me.

A week goes by, I followed up with an email and got no response. I look on their twitter and they were tweeting about the position so I figured, "Ok they're still pooling in candidates." The second week goes by, I emailed the strategist again, and got no response. A third follow up email was sent, and still no response.

I gave up emailing the person after a month because she just would not respond. She wouldn't simply tell me I didn't get it, or that they were still looking for more candidates. I don't understand what's difficult about that. Yes it sucks to send out rejection emails, or update emails, and you might even feel bothered, but you're the only real connection someone has to the company, and when they send you three emails, you still choose to not respond? I thought I had a good chance of getting the internship but now I just assume I didn't get it. It also sucks they won't respond because I would love to have their input in what I could do to improve, or what I lacked in for the position. That kind of feedback is important to someone like me who wants to learn more about the industry.

I have no idea what's going on at Big Spaceship, whether they picked a candidate, or going through some changes as a company, but I am really upset by the lack of communication with this person in particular. I don't know if this is how most of the people that work there are, and I hope they're not.

All in all, still enjoy Big Spaceship's work but I don't know if I will apply again for another position in the future, or want to be in this environment. It's ironic that they don't want you to be like a "robot," and yet, this employee was one.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Spaceship (New York, NY).

Interview

I contacted them about possible work, and they contacted me back quickly after both the HR person and (the then) head of design, who has subsequently left. I was set up with an interview, but instead of a phone interview with their recruiter or head of design, it was a group interview over the phone with the mid-to-junior designers. Not a video call - a phone call, in a group. When I emailed them afterwards to thank them for the interview, one of the employees no longer worked there in the 2 days after, and nobody responded to my emails inquiring about a decision. Seems like a fairly disorganized and disrespectful place to work.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about my portfolio   1 Answer

Public Relations Interview

Interview

They asked a lot about their company and their mission and what they stand for. They also wanted you to be very informal and chill with them which was nice because they had more of a young vibe and didn't make you feel as nervous during the interview.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Big Spaceship (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with a department head and then a head of a different department. Was asked to do "homework". It started with a phone interview though. After submission of homework an offer was made.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Spaceship in September 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position and got a response promptly. Didn't have enough exp as it turned out and felt like they may have been expecting too much of someone who was only hoping for a 3 month internship.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Big Spaceship (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

1hr google hangout with Department Director lead to 3 hours interview in their Dumbo Offices meeting the entire team. Very interesting experience. Would highly recommend interviewing with this company as they display great interest and support regarding new hires and people joining their team. very friendly staff with ample industry experience

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Spaceship (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

The office is a laid back environment. I interview with three senior producers who were friendly and welcoming. The interview was more of a dialogue or conversation rather than a super formal affair. The more challenging questions that were asked were ones that I didn't expect and were more catered to my personality.

Interview Questions

• If you could work on an account for a brand, which brand would it be?   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Interview

Got in touch with the creative director through a friend and was contacted by his assistant to set up a meeting. Interview was casual with another creative director- they were welcoming and interested in the work I had to show.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you have what it takes to create digital products?   Answer Question