Bloomsbury Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Bloomsbury

2.4

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomsbury (New York, NY) in October 2019.

Interview

The interview process was very quick and efficient. I was given two interviewers, both editors. The company had multiple interviews happening in a short amount of time for one position, so the process was quick and to the point.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomsbury in April 2019.

Interview

I found their internships on their website and followed the instructions. I received an email from HR less than a week later. The interview was the most awkward interview ever! It wasn't a difficult interview, rather it was very informal. Too informal in my opinion because it felt like they weren't prepared at all. Also, the people I interviewed with seemed to look down on my choice of books I read. They all had fancy previous internships/jobs with large literary presses. I talked to a few other interns who got jobs there and they got it through connections. The interview ended early and I was glad to get out of there. They never contacted me after and I didn't bother contacting them again. I did get a very nice job with nicer people at another publishing house which I'm very happy about.

Publicity Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Bloomsbury (New York, NY).

Interview

We spoke over the phone first and then they invited me in. They asked me questions, mostly about my background, and it seemed like we both got along really well. They then invited me to do an assignment, writing a press release. I turned that in and found out several weeks later they went with someone who had less experience, most likely so they wouldn't have to pay as much in salary.

Interview Questions

• I have more than four years of experience so it seemed she was worried I was overqualified. She asked how I'd find the job challenging.   1 Answer

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomsbury (New York, NY).

Interview

HR reached out to schedule an interview and then ghosted me for a week. When I finally got the interview scheduled and showed up, she'd decided to take the day off so a full step in the interview process was skipped and though she was supposed to follow up to reschedule, she never did. Editorial Director was nice but HR was a nightmare throughout the process. She would respond to emails promising more information within hours, then I wouldn't hear from her again for weeks. In all, I was kept on the hook for about 2 months. It was a terrible experience.

Interview Questions

• Interview was more like a conversation without many specific questions. Editorial Director mostly talked about herself and her own career whenever I brought anything up. She seemed disappointed that I didn't know the history of her entire career. She was also pretty disparaging about the position I was interviewing for. Realistic for an EA? Maybe. But she made it seem like I'd be running her errands and getting coffee for authors.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomsbury (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied and got a call to come in for an interview. Interview was informal since the interviewer only asked me one question and then did all the talking about how the internship can never turn into a full time position, the work required,etc... Said she would contact me next week and even after 2 weeks never responded to my inquiries about whether they would be pursuing with my candidacy or not.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomsbury (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about two weeks later to come in for an interview. The two women I met with were extremely friendly and polite. They asked me about my past intern experience and told me about the internship that I applied for. The interview took about an hour. A few days later I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected interview questions. Everything was straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for internship.

Editorial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomsbury (New York, NY).

Interview

Less than a week after submitting my application materials, I was contacted and asked if I would like to come in for an interview that week. The interview ended up being delayed a few weeks due to the busy holidays, but I was not forgotten. The interview itself was very casual. I met with an editor who would have been one of my supervisors, and It felt more like a casual discussion between friends than an interview. I don't believe it lasted longer than 30 minutes. I was told I should hear something in a week or two, and to feel free to send an email before then if I began feeling antsy. I was also given a few free books at the end of the interview.

I should mention that I am not sure this interview was the norm for them. It was right after the holidays and the offices were fairly empty. I was informed by a friend, who interviewed with them as well, that she met with three people and that her interview was surprisingly intense for an internship position.

Interview Questions

• The interview was more a discussion than anything. I was asked why publishing, why editorial, and to talk about some of my favorite books. I can't remember being asked anything out of the ordinary and there were none of those "biggest strength/weakness" type questions.   Answer Question

Key Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomsbury (London, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

Invited for an initial interview with 2 members of the sales team. The interview was about 30 minutes and fairly casual. I heard back from the HR manager within 5 days.

Assistant Editor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomsbury.

Interview

The interview was quite a few years ago and I believe it is far more standardized now but mine was quite informal and wanted to get to know about me and what I knew about Bloomsbury

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomsbury (London, England (UK)) in February 2019.

Interview

I was invited to interview several weeks after applying for the position. I was greeted by two editors who explained the running order. The interview descended into a fairly comfortable chat whereby they got to learn about my experiences and the skills I have acquired in previous work. I was then given a short proofreading test and told the next stage was a second interview. A few weeks later via email I received an invitation and a task to complete. During the second interview I was asked more questions designed to see if I would fit in. I also had an opportunity to ask further questions about the role and what it was like to work in publishing.

Unfortunately I wasn't offered the job and I didn't receive feedback so I'm not sure where I went wrong. Publishing is a very difficult industry to break into and I know from speaking to insiders and experts that it isn't what you know but who that gets you far the application process and career ladder. At Bloomsbury interns and internal candidates will always be favoured naturally. I felt I couldn't have done any more during the interview process and I wouldn't have changed my line of questioning or approach. I was just as prepared as the interviewers who were coherent throughout the process (enthusiastic too) and demonstrated my understanding of the books they worked on. Remember that an interview works two ways and it isn't just about what you can do for the employer but what they can do for you.

While the process at Bloomsbury was transparent, I just felt I was being strung along and they never really were planning to hire me. In hindsight I was happy things turned out the way they did because I secured employment in a different field (policy research) three weeks after the second interview. I spent a solid year applying for publishing jobs and rejection after rejection was taking its toll. Hopefully for budding publishing enthusiasts you will get that sprinkle of luck and get your foot in the door.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you applied for this position   Answer Question
    • How do you motivate yourself?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle and prioritise your workload? What would you do if you had conflicting tasks?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about this publishing house?   1 Answer
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • What can you bring to the team?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer