Breakthrough Collaborative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Breakthrough Collaborative Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2017

2.7

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative.

Interview

I submitted a teaching sample and went in for a short interview. The Interview was conducted in a school and was pretty short and informal. I thought the interview went very well but I think that the teaching sample might not have been what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• What would someone describe as your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative (New York, NY).

Interview

Be sure that you are on the same time zone as the interviewer is! I made that mistake, but they were still gracious. Submit materials (essays, video, application), then you will get a phone or skype interview. I heard back shortly after that I received the internship.

Application

Interview

After filling out an application you receive an assignment that you are given 48 hours to do. You also create a sample 5 minute teaching video that you send in. Afterwards if you are selected as a final candidate you participate in a video chat where they ask you about specific scenarios that you may encounter in the classroom and in the school. You are also asked to discuss your experience and why you want to join breakthrough.

Interview Questions

• Review the statements / situations below which we will discuss in your interview
       1. You ask your students what they had for dinner last night and a student responds, “Chinese food. You know, ching chong.”
      2. You overhear two girls, Jackie and Thalia, laughing at another girl, Fowzia. Later, Fowzia comes to you and explains that the two girls had seen her shopping at Payless, and have been making fun of her for wearing cheap shoes ever since.   Answer Question

Middle School Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Cover letter, questionnaire, résumé, followed by phone screening with Chief of Staff. Did not move forward from phone screen, so not sure what comes next.

This was one of the most bizarre interviews I have ever had, and I wonder whether the people doing the hiring have been versed on what questions you should ask and how you should ask your questions. It is very hard to express your passion for a position when the interview goes as this one did. None of what I was asked had to do with my skills/ability, and instead I was asked specifically about my questionnaire. It was almost as though what I had written was being questioned because they thought it was not true?

Could be a stronger interview process without the extra application materials.

Interview Questions

• In your questionnaire, you said you wanted to work as a high school placement director for an organization that places students in public and private schools. That is a pretty specific goal, what is the reason for that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Northampton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative (Northampton, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

The hiring process includes three parts: online application, teaching video, and interview. It is a thoughtful process that requires a lot of preparation, especially the teaching video recording and case studies in interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you transfer to this college?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Greater Boston Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with the head of the program. Overall not too difficult, have a good idea of your application and goals beforehand. Also, most definitely be aware of strengths and weaknesses in your teaching video. KNOW the age you are planning to each and WHY you are good at teaching that age. I was asked why I was excited about teaching middle school children.

Interview Questions

• What is an underserved school?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if two kids hugged each other at the start of class and then separated and said something about them not being homosexuals?   Answer Question
    • What is one thing you are excited about for the summer at Breakthrough?   Answer Question
    • Relate a time you thought you did something well, but got constructive feedback for, how did you deal with that?   Answer Question

Summer Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

- You first sumbit an initial online application. There are two deadlines, the regular deadline and the earlier priority deadline, and I submitted for the priority deadline.
    - Creation of a 5 minute teaching sample once you've made it past the first round.
    - Phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What were some things that went great in your teaching video?   Answer Question
    • What were some things that might have been missing or could have been improved?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Great! We chatted about why I am interested in education, and how my skill sets would make me qualified to be a summer Teaching Fellow. I also had to submit a video recording of myself teaching a lesson and another one of myself doing a BTNY cheer.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative in March 2015.

Interview

A week after submitting my application online, I was contacted by a representative of Breakthrough Austin (my first choice site) to set up a phone interview. She gave me several time options and quickly replied to my emails. During the phone interview, she asked about why I was interested in the position, and what I think would make me a good fit. She asked about my experience teaching and leading, and how that prepared me for this job. We talked about the requirements of the position, the pay, the work that I would be doing, and the program in general. She also asked me some generic interview questions, like what my strengths an weaknesses are, and what challenges I think I might face during the job. The phone interview took around 30 minutes. About a week later, I was emailed a job offer.

Interview Questions

• One of your team members felt like another one of your team members was acting inappropriately and not doing his share of the work. She always complains to you about him. What would you do?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Breakthrough Collaborative (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

One of the directors called me and had a 45 minute phone interview with myself. Half of the questions were on about my background in general while the other half were more specific to teaching. The tone of the interview was very laid back and I felt as though it was one of the easier interviews that I have been through. I was notified that I got the job within 2 weeks after the phone interview via email.