BrightRoll Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BrightRoll Interview Questions

3.1

Technical Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview

Conducted a Phone Interview where I was asked a range of questions regarding my technical expertise, coding knowledge, and whether or not I was familiar with Agile methodologies. Overall a positive experience, but it seems that they require their Technical Project Managers to lean heavily towards the programming/coding side of things. Seems like a great Company to work for if you get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is your technical experience, and what languages are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview

I only got through the initial phone screening process, but I would still call their hiring staff unprofessional. After applying, a representative sent me an email to schedule the initial phone interview. The day came, the appointment time came...and went. The representative said they would call, but I heard nothing from them. After a 15-minute grace period, I called them to make sure we were to have an interview. The phone rang a few times, then abruptly went to voice mail (the kind of abruptness you know is manually done). So, I wrote them an email to confirm that we were having an interview that day.

I did not hear from them for over 30 minutes, after which they sent me an email apologizing that their day had gotten hectic and busy. If I were in her position, I would have at least sent the candidate a quick email before the interview to let them know that we may have to reschedule our appointment due to unforeseen schedule conflict. Even if this were true (although I am fairly certain the recruiter had forgotten due to her response AFTER my email and for the voice mail speculation), the recruiter handled the situation in an unprofessional way and really turned me off from wanting to work there.

The actual interview consisted of frequently asked interview questions. They also told me that if you get past your initial phone interview, you would get a call from their hiring manager to go more in depth regarding your skills set. If you pass THAT, you go in for a third and final interview that takes a whole day (4+ hours). They will test your skills and you are to attend a mandatory lunch with your potential coworkers. If you expect a candidate to go through a long interview process, then at least have the decency to show up on time to your scheduled interviews.

Interview Questions

BrightRoll Response

Mar 25, 2015 – Head of Talent Engineering

Thank you, for the feedback. We consider your perspective valuable and strive to improve from one interaction to the next.

Account Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview

The interviewing process at BrightRoll for Account Director was among one of the most difficult I've done. I had two phone screens followed by an onsite interview that was 5 hours long, which meant I had to take an entire day off of work. They explained that the 5 hour long interview worked great for them, but failed to think about how negatively this could affect the candidates. There were several interviewers with whom I just didn't connect with, so I knew upon leaving the onsite that I didn't get the job. However a week later the recruiter scheduled a call, which was odd. He called me in the most awkward manner to tell me I didn't get the job. Although I knew I didn't get the job, I could see how scheduling a call could mislead a candidate. In the future I'd suggest they minimize the awkwardness and just send a nice email.

The employees and vibe at the office was abismal. Several employees seemed to be struggling to find anything nice to say about the company, and it was obvious they weren't happy.

Interview Questions

BrightRoll Response

Mar 29, 2015 – Head of Talent Engineering

As a team, we agree, your recent experience was less than ideal. In particular, we apologize for the delay between your interview and receiving the actual feedback. You invested time with us and... More

Associate Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BrightRoll (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Received an email for a phone interview - same day got an email saying that I would proceed with the next stage - had an hour interview with the manager and think I did great and then a couple days later the recruiter emailed me asking to chat - never called me back that - I then emailed him asking if he still wanted to chat and he said he would call me that day - never called me - email him again asking if they were still interested - never emailed me - than 3 days later he emails me a generic email stating that they won't continue with the process. Really thought it was unprofessional.

Interview Questions

BrightRoll Response

Feb 20, 2015 – Senior Talent Engineer

Thanks for the feedback. We pride ourselves on providing a positive candidate experience. I apologize for not getting you direct feedback in a timely manner. I take your feedback seriously and will... More

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BrightRoll (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Great and very professional, since the first interaction with the company's recruiter till the last in person interview everything was very organized, transparent and well communicated. It took approx. 3 weeks, had 1st interview with the recruiter on the phone, 2nd with the hiring manager on the phone, 3rd in their offices with 6 members of their team.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview

One of the best.. Real smooth and transparent..
    I applied online. Got reply from recruiter...Arranged phone call.. We talked...She asked technical question which I answered. Next the phone interview was arranged ..
    Manager asked me about my work and then explained the role. Asked me a programming question over phone..I told how to solve. Asked me other ways to do it..I did tell ..seems she was not convinced.. Call ended..

The best thing is recruiter called and told I am not selected and the reasons also..
    But I was not convinced with the reason given..
    The reason given was - I was not passionate about the work I have done..
    Over the phone how can you judge if person is passionate.. If some one talks in low voice does it mean not passionate?..

But I really liked the complete process...I wish Brightroll Success..
    Good to know Yahoo acquired..

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BrightRoll (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was able to get a phone interview. It was pretty standard phone call. The recruiter asked me questions about my resume and about my side projects. The conversation was about 30 mins. There weren't any technical questions. The interview was nice although I was pretty inexperienced with phone screens. Good overall. Hoping to apply again in the future.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview

Couple of stages, applied online.

(1) Initial HR phone interview, basic. Go over resume, talk about your interests and why you applied to BrightRoll.

(2) Phone interview with engineering manager. Mix of technical questions and a little more in depth talk about projects you have done and resume.

(2.5) Coding Simulation.

(3) On site interview superday. 3 Interviews in the morning. Mix of technical and fit. Lunch with engineers, and then a resume dig and a final interview with a manager where you get to interview him for 45 minutes.

Really fast and smooth process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation --- compensation is extremely generous for interns.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview

The recruiter was very easy to talk to. For the initial screening, they asked the usual "what's your interest" and "what would you like to do". Like most other interviews, they asked me to walk them through what happens when you enter an address in the url. For the second interview, the interviewer was an engineer. He was also very easy to talk to. He asked me more about my experiences and tried to gauge my talent from that. He then asked me 2 technical questions which weren't that hard if you know how the internet works. Asked me again about the address in the url process, but I didn't know deep details. The algorithm question was fairly straightforward.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BrightRoll in October 2014.

Interview

A college recruiter reached out to me over LinkedIn (I dropped off my resume at a career fair but it didn't have my email on it...whoops)

We had a quick chat over the phone about BrightRoll, my motivations, and what I'm looking for as a summer intern.

Then, I got set up with a hiring manager which has been the most thought provoking phone screen yet. In addition to the standard recursion question, he asked me about my aspirations - pointed questions at why I'm passionate about the things I do. I vividly remember a question he asked me about my heros in life and I was able to speak freely about how my mother's been a huge inspiration for me.

After that, we had a 1.5 hour interview over Skype where I was given a javascript-based game to implement on my development platform of choice, and I had a ton of fun coding it up though I struggled a bit with the end of the question.

All throughout the interview process, Brightroll was committed in giving me the best feedback loop I've ever had in the process. The recruiter was able to follow up with me usually within the very same day I had the screen, which was truly impressive.