California Energy Commission Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at California Energy Commission

2.4

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California Energy Commission (Sacramento, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Very straightforward and simple. There was a writing part and then the interview. They asked basic scenario questions, and other ordinary things to expect in an interview. I think I got the job because I answered the questions effectively, but also showed that I would fit in with the culture there.

Interview Questions

• What experience/knowledge do you have about energy in California?   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at California Energy Commission (Sacramento, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Submitted app online through University Enterprises, contacted by email 3 days later to schedule interview.

Interview was simple, ~8 questions. Mix of personality, skills, logistics, and experience. Hiring manager and an engineer conducted the interview. Recommend you come in full professional attire and prepare your critical thinking skills, as they will test those.

Interview Questions

• Describe your role in a research project you worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at California Energy Commission (Sacramento, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Start by completing a state application for employment (Std. 628), and apply to take the Energy Analyst Exam. You will later be notified without about a two week notice to take an easy 3 hour exam early on a Saturday morning. If you score well, you are placed on an eligibility list in which you are then mailed notices of job openings periodically as they become available. Once you receive a notice, you have about 7 days to reply by mailing back a completed Std. 628 application expressing interest in the particular opening that is available. About 3 weeks later, I received a call with a chance to interview. They gave me 2 different interview time options later that week (i.e. very little notice). I then interviewed a few days later with a panel of 3. The questions were very structured, and the interviewers were mainly reading off a sheet to ask me questions. Fairly standard behavioral questions, a few situational questions, and a few others asking to describe my skills with Excel and Powerpoint. No major curveballs.

Interview Questions

• (after discussing my leadership abilities) they asked: as a low level employee there will be many cases where you are assigned routine basic work, and will have little opportunity to lead over others. Will you be able to work in this role and describe how you handle those situations?   1 Answer

Already committed (signed paperwork) to a coveted internship with a large private company, and unable to delay the acceptance of this offer.

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at California Energy Commission (Sacramento, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Depending on the division, team and competition you face for the position, you may have 1 or multiple interviews. I had only 1. It is straightforward. You are given 5 behavioral/knowledge questions.

Interview Questions

• What prior experience do you bring into this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at California Energy Commission (Sacramento, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Its an hour and half interview process, 30 mins about what you can offer to the company with your prior experience (feel free to use your idealism, belief in work ethics, past projects or work) and then an panel interview with 3 different people in the division; they asked 8 questions total.

Interview Questions

• Name an experience where you managed a project?   Answer Question
    • How do your prioritize assignments? What time-management tools do you use?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be successful at CEC?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience with Word, Access, Powerpoint, and Excel? or and other pertain programs?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you where missing real data for an assignment or project due?   Answer Question
    • What role have you played in a major assignment or project?   Answer Question
    • How have you handle conflict with a peer on a project?   Answer Question

Air Resources Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at California Energy Commission (Sacramento, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

One round: 1hr group interview, all the managers are in the interview. There is a standard set of questions list, a combination of behavior questions and technical questions. There are also following questions about my resume. A 30 mins writing test, writing an essay regarding given materials

Interview Questions

• What is your strengths regarding this position? Why do you want to work for CEC?   Answer Question

Hotline Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at California Energy Commission (Sacramento, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

It was fairly straight forward. They asked me some basic questions, asked me to right a paragraph about something to get a feel of my writing style (we had to write a lot of emails as part of the job) I was able to get a little more information about the position, except that it was still a little unclear as to exactly what my day to day actually was going to be.

Interview Questions

• How well are you able to handle angry people? (We would often get callers frustrated with the Energy Standards)   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California Energy Commission (Sacramento, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Brought me in with a group of people that all worked for the CEC, then gave general questions about my personality and what possible technical skills I would be able to bring to the table.

Interview Questions

• Go over a situation where you had to overcome a conflict?   1 Answer

Student Assistant Interview Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at California Energy Commission.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call from manager.
    Interviewed in a group setting and lasted for about half an hour.
    They talked about the position detail and asked questions about the resume.

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California Energy Commission in January 2010.

Interview

I agreed to interview because I was asked to interview. I currently work in the division but I was reluctant to report directly to the Deputy Director, who I do not like or trust.

Interview Questions

• Deputy doesn't understand the technical or public policy aspects of the position, but is a whiz at administrative stuff. e.g. How can you motivate your staff to submit items for the Division's Weekly Reader (summary of "interesting" stuff submitted to management)?   1 Answer
    • Describe the process to be used in evaluating a piece of legislation   1 Answer

Didn't like or trust the Deputy Director