California Public Utilities Commission Interview Questions | Glassdoor

California Public Utilities Commission Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I took the exam in December and did not get an interview until April. It took two weeks for me to be notified that I was awarded the position.

The interview was conducted with a panel of two people. There are four questions and the interview is intended to last around 30 minutes; although, my interview was a bit shorter. As for the questions, I cannot disclose the specifics, but be familiar with the job description and look up common interview questions online, with that you will be set. The panel of interviewers are patient, so do not be afraid to ask for clarification, and do not be afraid to take a bit of time to frame your responses if you are caught off-guard (Taking a second to think looks better than constantly stuttering or saying "um").

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Apply for the exam and if selected, be invited to take it. The exam comprises of basic engineering questions that, as long as you're decent with energy calculations, should be pretty simple. Once you take the exam, it is graded and then you're given a Rank.
    As jobs become available, apply, and if you're in a higher rank, be invited for an interview. The interview consists of basic behavioral questions and nothing too technical. Prior to the interview, research as much as possible on the role, and especially the job description. Be honest, as the interviewers take notes during the entire session. Answer questions as clearly as possible and don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something didn't seem clear to you. Be yourself, be confident, and comfortable.
    From applying to take the exam to being invited for the interview took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with an adversity and how did you overcome it? Describe a situation where you had to make a critical decision (what was the issue and how did the decision turn out)?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Your experience and education determine the salary range. Negotiation not necessarily needed.

Regulatory Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission.

Interview

Questions about how your previous experience can be applied to work in the position, your experience with spreadsheets and quantitative analysis. Possibly some questions about what written products you've worked on previously and how you deal with co-workers in social situations. Each division will have their unique questions. You'll have 15-30 minutes and written questions to prepare, after that a 30 minute oral interview based on those questions. It's helpful to have examples ready of work you've done, sometimes people will go into nitty gritty detail on the examples if that's their area. Most interviewers are experts in their areas, so be sure to know your examples well and be ready to justify why you did something the way you did.

Interview Questions

• Have you dealt with a difficult coworker in the past and how did you deal with this situation?   Answer Question

Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Take a test, pass test, apply for job, get hired. You have to rank high in the exams, and submit an SOQ. SOQ must meet the job requirements in posting.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you used your writing and communication skills to get something done.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had one interview onsite with my direct supervisor and her supervisor. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes. I got an offer later on the same day of interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the project XX you did before? What would you do if given a XX project? What is your opinion about XX topic (kind of a technical question)? Why are you interested in our project?   Answer Question

PURA I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

First, you have to pass a test to get on the eligibility list. Score as high as you can. Then when there's opening, you apply. prepare your statement well. and then if you are selected, you'll be invited for a in-person interview/ skype if you are in the city.

the whole process takes months....

Interview Questions

• There are about three questions which are very broad, basically to know about your experience and knowledge.   Answer Question

Utilities Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission in January 2015.

Interview

In order to be eligible for the interview, you'll need to take a simple engineering test. It's mostly what they teach in physics and basic electronic stuff. Once you passed the test, you'll be able to apply for positions as it becomes available. The positions vary within the commision, but be ready for a lengthy wait before they respond to you. From the time I applied for the testing to my first interview was 3 1/2 months.

Interview Questions

• 4 questions, you get a few minutes to review them. It's all mostly about qualifications and fit. There wasn't any personality questions.   1 Answer

Public Utility Regulatory Analyst (PURA) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

There are five PURA levels, 1-5, 5 being the highest (though the first is split into levels A-C, C being the highest). There are several steps in the hiring process. First, you have to take a test to get on the list for the appropriate level. I hear it is multiple choice for PURA 1, though for the tests I've taken, the are composed of a written exercise, mini-essays, and an interview with 2-3 people. The interview and mini-essays are STAR format; the written exercise is an hour-long hypothetical exercise. If you are in the top three ranks of a given PURA level list, you may apply for positions that open up for the next 18 months. You submit a written Statement of Qualifications (SOQ), and if you are selected for an interview, the process is an interview with 2-3 people.

Interview Questions

• Written exercise. Focus on timing and providing sufficient detail.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

They gave 5 prompts to answer in 30 minutes at an office prior to the interview. Paper and pen was given to respond to the questions. After 30 minutes, a panel of 3 engineers asked questions regarding the prompts given.

Interview Questions

Salary was too low in the San Francisco area. Salary did not adjust to the cost of living.

Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Two Learning & Development Unit members took turns asking questions regarding experience, education. They were prepared to go online to review my ITEC projects work. It was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about ADDIE process? Do I know Articulate Storyline platform, or Captivate? Can I use MS Office products? Can I do analysis? Am I creative? What is learning and development?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I could not negotiate. The State of California allows anyone to pass an exam online. Once hired, they send you evidence of experience and certify your status as a Associate Government Public Analyst