Canada Revenue Agency Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Canada Revenue Agency Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

3.1

IT Analyst/Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency (Halifax, NS (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

Bried behavioural sessions - was eight to nine questions. all behavioural but very straightforward. was given 15 minutes to prepare for the questions. It is a co-op position. and much importance is given to security clearance procedures if you're not a canadian

Auditing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

1) asked to answer 2 long answer question by writing it down on a paper and within 5 minutes telling them what my answer was
    2) multiple choice test - including CRA values
    3) interview question

IT Analyst/Developer - Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied directly to the CRA in March and my application was put in a pool. Was sent an email in late April asking to be interviewed for the position. Set up the in-person interview through email. It was a 2 person panel interview. Asked to provide School transcript, character references, proof of citizenship and a list of locations that I've lived for the past 5 years. After the interview, they called my references and a week later I was offered the job via Phone call, pending security clearance.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the CRA, and specifically our directorate?   1 Answer
    • How do you prioritize tasks?   Answer Question
    • What do you do if you've finished your work, and your manager isn't in the office?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the development of one project that you've worked on.   1 Answer
    • How do you resolve conflict with another employee?   Answer Question

IT Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency.

Interview

The formal hiring process has three main parts:

1. Written tests: There were two, standard written tests on different competencies and written English skills. You have to achieve a minimum level in each competency to get proceed to the next step - the HR interview.

2. HR interview: It was a standard 30-minute interview with a 15-minute preparation time. The questions that were asked focused mainly on your personal introduction and general experience (whatever you have) related to the job, especially with IT project management and providing some sort of service to a client.
    If you pass this round, you'll be put into a pool of qualified candidates and asked to fill up a detailed skills questionnaire which the hiring manager(s) use to select you for further interview(s) if they are looking for the skills that you say you have.

3. Technical Interview: This is the main interview round. Here, a team will mostly ask you technical questions related to the work that they do in CRA. They will base the questions by matching your skills but occasionally you might be asked questions that are out of your comfort zone. You might be invited to attend more that one of these interviews with different teams once you are in the pool. The interviews can extend from 30 minutes to an hour depending on the team. In my opinion, the longer it is, the better. You would want to have a conversation with the hiring team rather than having a formal interview. It makes things more interesting and the interview becomes enjoyable. If everything clicks well, you'll find yourself in a comfortable conversation with the team as you answer their questions. The team that hired me was very down-to-earth and nice. They broke the ice with me very quickly and I had a fun but pretty technical interview.

Interview Questions

• I'll generalize the questions here without being too specific.

1. Why do you want to leave this job/position and work for us? (if you are already working or engaged somewhere else)   Answer Question
    • 2. I was asked a lot about how I planned and implemented projects in previous positions that I worked for. They'll get very specific and will try to figure out if you actually did what you claimed in your resume.   Answer Question
    • 3. Your interaction with your supervisor was an important part of their assessment, at least that is what I felt like.   Answer Question
    • 4. Even if this was an entry level position with no experience required, they might ask you about any relevant experience you have. Try to think of any project you did that might be relevant.   Answer Question
    • 5. If you have more than necessary qualifications, they will focus on that to get your rationale on why you would still want to work on an entry level position. Answer carefully and in detail.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

good and very friendly interviewers, takes a long time to process everything tho. Interviewers were very very very very very very veryv ery very nice. Glad i had the opportunity to have an interview with CRA

Interview Questions

• describe a situation where you had a conflict with your manager and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

AU03 Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency.

Interview

Hiring process starts with entrance exam to assess English proficiency and ability to identify issues on financial statements.

The interview involves behavioural questions and past experience. No technical questions were asked. Similar to other behavioural interviews that analyze fit and trustworthiness. The process took about 1/2 hour and they got back to me within one week.

Interview Questions

• Along the line of past things that could be done better and how you would do it differently.   1 Answer

Taxpayer Services Agent (Co-op) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

The people were really nice and made me feel comfortable. There were two people that interviewed me. They gave me a scenario based on an angry customer and I was given about 5 minutes on my own. I was allowed to take notes on a piece of paper, afterwards I had to present them with my solution. Once I presented my solution, the interview was completed, they did not ask me any other questions.

Interview Questions

• A customer was very angry at you, a payroll clerk, because his cheques from work had not been deposited. He was a new employee, and the process took about 5 business days to verify his information into their system. He demanded that the cheque be deposited instantly because he had a lot of bills to pay. How would you deal with this customer and help him solve his problem?   Answer Question

Tax Auditor Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

You are given a written scenario. You have 20 minutes to create a solution for how you will approach and solution this issue; your reasons should be states as to why you chose that approach.

Co-Op Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a couple days. I was interviewed in Canada Revenue Agency office, Alberta. The interview took 50 minutes. The interviewers were really nice.

Interview Questions

• Consisted of two parts:
      written and formal question and answer interview   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Canada Revenue Agency.

Interview

Case based interview where two employees present a case to you and give you a set amount of time alone (10-20mins? Don't quite remember but it's sufficient) to formulate an answer and 5-10 minutes to answer. Answers are fairly common sense. Don't feel obliged to take up all of the time provided. Sometimes ending early is better because you gave a concise answer rather than rambling.

There are also tests prior to the interview stage such as situational judgement testing that can't really be prepared for.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation of salary.