Cell Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cell Press

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cell Press (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Went for interview and met fellow editors. Interview with several people.
    Everything very disorganised.No schedule, wrong schedule, email communication with other candidates was directed to me.
    HR-type list of questions, unclear what they are looking for.
    HR not very friendly.

Interview Questions

• HR type questions, nothing really meaningful.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cell Press (Cambridge, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Four stages (Varies by Journal):
    1) Online application (but you really should reach out to meet someone and get a referral)
    2) Writing Assignment
    3) Phone call or Skype Interview (may include the manuscript test)
    4) In person site visit (can last 1/2 to 1 full day; may include the manuscript test)

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cell Press (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

The process lasted three weeks. I was contacted by multiple members of the HR staff, one of whom gave me incorrect information and forgot to get back to me to confirm the interview time—I had to call her the day before to confirm, even though she had said she would contact me.

The interview lasted more than an hour and felt a bit like an interrogation. A group of employees took turns asking me questions, some of which were quite difficult and didn't seem relevant to the position. The employees I met did not make me feel welcome, and I left with a fairly negative impression of the company.

Finally, after three weeks, seven phone calls, and two in-person meetings, the company didn't even have the courtesy to send me an e-mail letting me know they were no longer interested in me. Fortunately, by that time, I was no longer interested in them, either.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you resolved a conflict between two or more people or departments in the workplace?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cell Press (Cambridge, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Prior to on-site interview, there was an editing exercise. They gave about a week to complete it. A month after this, they invited me for on-site interview. The overall experience was very positive. I learned a lot about the position in general. During the on-site interview, there was a 1-hour editing test. 3 papers -- I had to decide whether to send them for review or not.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about the competition? What are some of the things that sets the journal apart from its competition. -- these are not necessarily unexpected but can be tricky to answer.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cell Press (Cambridge, MA) in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process included HR screening and phone call with hiring manager, department head, and senior management team member. After that, the company flew me in for in-person interviews with hiring manager, product development, and editorial were completed. The process was straightforward, quick, and highly hospitable. In comparison to interviews I completed at another Fortune 500 company, the hiring process at Cell Press left me feeling like a person and not a number.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your thinking process behind preparing a marketing strategy for a new product or service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Cell Press (Boston, MA).

Interview

Tests, phone interview, in-house interview with tests.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cell Press (Cambridge, MA) in December 2009.

Interview

You must have an interest in being an editor. Once they have decided they are interested, you are given a test with two weeks to complete; mine consisted of coming up with a number of review ideas for a special reviews issue (I am a reviews editor), as well as coming up with individuals that would be appropriate for the editorial board for my journal. If they are happy with this, you are given a phone interview. I then had an in-office interview with a number of different editors, some of which were multiple at a time. I also had a short reading and abstract writing test in the office.

Interview Questions

• This isn't actually a question, but I felt like I needed to convince the individual who is now my manager that I was interested in being an editor rather than trying to find any job I could get after my postdoc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a small increase, but in general, there is little room for negotiation coming in after a postdoc. Years of experience as a postdoc and number of publications is not taken into account.