Central Park Conservancy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017

2.6

Associate Director, Programming Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Central Park Conservancy (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I'd read the reviews, but hey -- I need a job. I was invited to meet at their east side office. I know the area well and arrived well on time, presenting myself to their "doorman" a good 10 minutes before the scheduled 9:30 interview. After arriving at reception desk and getting the receptionist's attention away from texting on his phone, I was asked to sit, but he never asked to take my coat or umbrella. Since I waited almost forty minutes, a water or coffee might have been nice. After sitting there and watching people get on and off the elevator for 40 minutes, it was clear that the "boss" of the director I was meeting with didn't arrive in the office until after 10, so they kept me waiting because she was late, and had the nerve to ask me if "I had any trouble finding the place?" while offering no apology, but complimenting their own office digs for the first ten or so minutes of the "interview." "Did you know that THE WEDDING LIBRARY is in this building," the senior person asked. She also asked two odd questions clearly trying to get me to reveal my nationality. After another thirty minutes of them telling me what an "awesome cultural center" the conservancy is, dodging my questions about the next steps in the interview process, and almost zero questions about my background, I ran for the elevator and the street.

Interview Questions

• Did you know that THE WEDDING LIBRARY is in this building?   1 Answer
    • Can you be discrete about us interviewing you? Whispered tones:"We had a layoff of staff and so are going about this search quietly."   1 Answer

Grounds Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Central Park Conservancy (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Was asked to meet for interview 1 at Parks Department building on Fifth Ave and 65th st, but told that positions would be based at west side yard, (central park west & 79). I was told that 2nd interview would took place at 79st facility, but hr person never called me back and when I politely called to follow up on the process, she hung up and told me that "I missed the boat." Seriously?

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Central Park Conservancy in July 2017.

Interview

During an initial phone call from who I have to assume was HR (they never clearly greeted me or identified themselves) an in-person interview was scheduled. I was told that interview would be for position in chairman or president's office, but was interviewed by someone fairly junior, which is okay, but I was given no feedback or info about what would happen next, even after asking. 7 weeks later and not even a form letter to politely let me know I'm not being considered. Interview was more about telling me about the company than allowing me to describe my skill set, so disappointing. Que sera, sera.

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Central Park Conservancy in July 2017.

Interview

I've temped here and was always amazed by the lack of blissful unawareness of the senior people. An almost "Stepford" like small talk and smiles in the kitchen/break room, always followed by whispering breakout groups discussing the fearful culture and most recent mistreatment of a staff person. I interviewed here in July after they'd terminated dozens of people, only because it's convenient to my school and they don't really ask the admins to do any heavy lifting. By and large amiable dunces. As expected, I heard nothing from them after the interview with and HR person and then panel of 2 people who I think were from Finance.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite landmark in Central Park?   1 Answer
    • Central Park Conservancy has been extremely successful and works to maintain an impeccable reputation. What personal qualities would you bring that would further benefit our already highly regarded organization?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Easy to do.. basic usual questions. The interview included a park tour and it was a beautiful day. It definitely makes you excited to start in the beginning. The tour was followed by two more interviews, overall a positive experience.

Editorial Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Park Conservancy (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

First met with Associate Director and then Director joined. Friendly and warm conversation. I assumed there were many candidates, but still surprised not to receive any follow up communication after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What do I think about Robert Moses legacy with regard to Central Park in the last century?   Answer Question
    • How do you adjust to work with challenging stakeholders when projects are behind schedule and you need them to contribute their part?   Answer Question

Development Data Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Central Park Conservancy (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position and was contacted two days later by someone in the department for an interview. After the interview, it took three weeks to hear that I hadn't been offered the position.

The woman that interviewed me was very nice, but the interview was only with her and I thought there would be another person from the department or at least someone from HR to listen in on the conversation. I was asked basic questions about my background and the level of experience I had with the database Central Park Conservancy used.

Interview Questions

• What was the annual operating budget of the last non-profit you worked for?   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Central Park Conservancy (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by my boss, who encouraged me to apply, and her boss. She liked my work so I felt very comfortable in the interview.

When speaking with her boss, he seemed very impressed, but somehow I felt that, maybe I may have said something I shouldn't have. After that, my boss was not so interested in me.

The climate changed and they hired someone else, whom I trained and liked very much.

The person I trained is there now for nine months.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how well I was able to deal with different types of people.   1 Answer

Zone Gardener Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Central Park Conservancy (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Easy. Group setting that included al lot of supervisors so they can best select if someone can meet the needs of their specific section of the park. Generally all asked the same questions. Just smile and show enthusiasm and get you'll get the job.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with picking up garbage?   1 Answer

Discovery Guide Interview

Interview

Be prepared to stop at the front desk with photo ID for scanning otherwise the security dude will yell at you. Said dude cannot type. He can barely work a computer. He pecks with two fingers and then gives you a sticker to wear on your shirt. I should have just thrown it away as once you're in, nobody cares. Next, waited around for a while for a tag-team interview by two other dudes. They didn't seem very experienced. They read questions off a clipboard. One was overly chatty while the other glared a lot. Be prepared to answer safety concerns about being alone (no partners) outside all day and sometimes nights not to mention winter cold. Sample question: What's your favorite memory of the park? Have interesting, specific short stories ready to tell. They want to be entertained. You'll be alone all day outside in the park, there's no partner system. They will let you know "up front" (which really means After you've traveled there for the interview) that the schedule is inconsistent: Available shifts require every other weekend and holidays are mandatory. Hope this helps future interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite memory of the park and how comfortable are you with chatting up strangers about the park all day?   Answer Question