Chicago Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Chicago

2.4

Law Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

It took a very long time to get notified of the interview. Once the process began, they couldn't ask anything directly as it was all scripted due to the Shakman Decree. This decree took out the entire worth of interviewing. I just managed to get lucky and obtain the job.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in March 2018.

Interview

Phone call and 1hr in the office interview with the manager. Told me about what the role is and what I will be doing. The position i applied for was data analyst.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview was pretty straight forward.
    They call you first for a small easy interview, and they will send an email to confirm your invitation to the city hall.
    They will then do a background check, and tell you if you are good to start.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chicago (Chicago, IL).

Interview

No interview taken. Was called in thinking interview will take place but instead I was made sign couple of legal formalities and background check and I got the internship. Background check took two weeks. Post background check, I got called into work at my chosen hours.

Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago in February 2007.

Interview

Being a city government the process is very slow and very long. Applied online and received a call from the recruiter. I requested for a phone interview which otherwise is not done as a regular practice. After the phone interview which was more like information exchange had the actual interview in about 2 weeks. The interview was with a Group. You will doing alot of paperwork as they need alot of information about you and past jobs, etc. One of the conditions is to live in the city during your tenure as an employee. After the group interview had another personal interview 1:1 more about work culture and environment etc. Very thorough back ground check including criminal, academics, references, etc.

Laid back atmosphere and lack of motivation says it all why things dont move in government. More stress on finger pointing than issue resolution and lack of ownership/responsibility.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you will adjust in Government entity especially if not coming from Government organization?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unfortunately the salary is nearly non-negotiable sue to strict government guidelines. But if you are intelligent you can negotiate paid time-off. No work from home policy. No bonus but you save on state taxes.

Senior Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

This was one of the weirdest and mind-boggling interviews I've ever had. I wasn't told who I'd be meeting with prior to the interview. The day of the interview, I was ushered into a room where a woman & a man were--I was told this is "so-and-so" and "so-and-so," and because I was not given their business cards, I have NO IDEA who they were (not having remembered their names upon introduction) or their titles.

When I sat down, the woman said: you can't take notes, put any papers/pen away, and, fyi, these questions are the same for every candidate and don't be disturbed if we are not looking at you while you're speaking because we will be taking copious notes throughout the interview. (That was fine with me.)

After they had asked all their questions, I had my own questions to them, including "This position is in the 'career service'--what does that mean exactly?" The woman wasn't able to answer that(!), so she brought in the HR liaison. The woman declined to answer several of my questions, saying "I can't say"---as if the answers were state secrets. It was as if I had an attorney in front of me or someone pleading the 5th for her own protection. These top-secret, unanswerable questions included:
    1. Are you considering internal candidates? Woman: "I can't say." Me: thinking "Alright...."
    2. What's the best/worst thing about working for this department? Woman: "I can't say." Me in my head: Alright...
    3. You say that the supervisors over this position have been with the department for a long time. That's great. Do they have private-sector experience, as well? "I can't say". Alright....
    4. What's the biggest challenge facing the city's small-business owners right now? "I can't say." (Their raison d'être is to help small-biz owners.) Alrighty then!

It was a very strange interview and the process, which seemed super-bureaucratic, does not leave a good impression of the internal workings of the city. Another tidbit I was told was "when a small business fails in the city, it's rarely the city's fault." That may be true, but it just sounds cold & defensive.

I also wanted to confirm their HR policy/timing in contacting present employers...seeing as they have you sign a consent form in order to contact your current employer. The woman could not see the problem here...i.e. I don't want my current employer contacted by the city w/o a job offer, for fear of being fired (as is a common practice). It was mind-boggling that I had to explain this practice to her and why I did not want my current employer contacted at this point.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where there was no process in place, and you had to create a process. Tell us what that was, the steps and the results/outcome.   Answer Question

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview was directed by one of the main officers and her assistant. They will ask you seemingly easy questions but you have to demonstrate willingness to work and knowledge in your fields of study.

Finance Department Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chicago in July 2015.

Interview

So this is going to be a long one. I actually applied, took a test for, and interviewed for, and placed on a wait list for a year for an ENTRY LEVEL position within this department well over a year ago. Any ways I got a call back . I was informed that all i had to do was fill out a background check form & some other paperwork and deliver it to city hall and im hired. Soooo i do that the following day and the background check literally took 4 weeks!! Like normally its suppose to take 2-3 but it took 4!! And this is especially weird being that my background is SPARKLY clean and for "average" employers it takes less that 3 days. And to make matters worse i feel like the only reason it took 4 weeks is because i called the HR department to see what was the hold up and a day after that my background was finished and i was contacted by one of the admins. Now theres like two admins im in communication with within this department. Admin F is very striaght forward and pleasent and Admin A is absolutely rude and indecisive. So moving on Admin F calls me and tells me to come in a complete some paperwork and after it processes I get my start date. I do this. Go home. A couple hours later I get an email from Admin A and shes saying she has to check and see if im within the budget then once she gets approval ill get a start date and A sends me a "conditional" offer letter... THEN around 1 am my phone goes off and its an email for a background check from a private company for the City of Chicago. So Im like wtheck is this a scam?!! So i fill it out on the spot cause this is taking waayyyy to long and immediately email A asking if this is legit cause I already took one. A then tells me I never took one and this is legit its just a private company that COC uses... So then im just like wtheck I already put in my two weeks now youre putting me through another pointless background check and talking about some budget bs. So I found out that working for the city is VERY political

Sanitarian Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago.

Interview

The interview began with an Human Resources questionnaire in which I had write my thoughts in response to a question and had 20 minutes to do so alone in a room at a computer. Then I had a small panel interview with leadership at the Dept of Public Health. They conducted a very positive and professional interview. Our discussion was relevant and on point.

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

the interview was scripted. each question was predetermined and read out loud by each member of the interview panel. There was little eye contact as I responded since all the interviewers were busy writing down what I was answering. it felt a bit impersonal.

Interview Questions

• What skills had my prior experience given me that made me qualified for the position.   1 Answer
    • They asked me to take a written exam   1 Answer