Chicago Tribune Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chicago Tribune Interview Questions

Interviews at Chicago Tribune

2.7

Sort:

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune in April 2007.

Interview

The phone interview was informal. They mostly asked for and checked with the 3-4 references I gave them and it seemed all of them gave me good words. It then followed with an on-site interview which was also very informal. I met with 5-6 people who were supposed to be important in the hiring process and spent the rest of the day chatting and doing lunch with a group of future co-workers in the same department. Most of them were casual chatting. The hiring manager was trying to show me how "employee friendly" the company was and I was very impressed.

The company remained "employee friendly" even after 2007 big laid off.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me 3-4 references in your career/from schools so that I can call?   Answer Question
    • What is your previous experience in the newspaper industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was possible and successful.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL).

Interview

i had an initial phone interview, after that they called for
    face to face with hiring manager and team and then there was another round of face to face with
    managers. Interview was on the skills you had in your resume.They responded pretty quickly

Negotiation

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune in September 2014.

Interview

meet with team lead then if interested, show you the floor. quick shadow and then meet with sales manager. Have the opportunity to get a feel of what your day to day job would be. Very casual interview. Ask questions to the team lead.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in April 2010.

Interview

It was an interview with a few managers, not too bad. You also do a typing skills test to see where you are as far as typing ability. As long as you can do about 40 words per minute you are fine. You need to be able to type quickly when people call in and want to place an advertisement.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You don't negotiate. It is what it is, take it or leave it.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Preliminary- Basic questions: "How would you describe yourself" It was very clean cut. I was asked basic interview questions than it slowly became a conversation piece. We discussed many forms of marketing and even events I have been a part of. Very welcoming environment, all people there are very nice and great to work with.

Interview Questions

• What kind of marketing experience do you have?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

Applied for positive via CareerBuilder site. Met with recruiter and interviewed by hiring manage who would be my supervisor. It went very well. After they checked my background they made me an offer which I accepted.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Frustrating and unprofessional. The company got back to me after a week or two, after applying online. They flew me in and put me up in a great hotel. They wined and dined me. But then they ghosted me, and I called them a few times over the next several months to inquire because I was always told it was still up in the air. Yes, the company was THAT dysfunctional in 2015, still rocked by the mismanagement of a former owner and an editor who left for a think tank. The reporters were great, but the management was aloof and a few of them left that year. I finally got a "we cannot hire more staff" four months later. Advice: I know it's the Tribune, but it is a shell now with many poor managers. I know you want to work for them, but DO NOT commit to a lengthy interview process unless you ask them upfront when you can expect a hiring decision. Pin them down hard -- trust me, you have nothing to lose.

Interview Questions

Chicago Tribune Response

Aug 8, 2018 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for the interview feedback and the time you invested in the interview process with our organization. This experience was several years ago and we’re not sure the team members you met with... More

Senior UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

Went in for a technical interview that lasted 1.5 hours. They asked about how to set media points for responsive design in css. How to find a specific element on a page using js or jquery

Sales Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter about a potential position over the phone. He was extremely nice and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. The position became unavailable, but my recruiter not only stayed in contact, he gave my resume to several people within the company. After a few weeks, I received an email from another recruiter for a similar position. I had a 20 minute phone interview with her and scheduled to meet with the Director at the headquarters in Chicago. Everyone was upbeat and helpful. The interview process was enjoyable, relaxed and lasted 20 minutes. That same week I interviewed with another manager for coffee in order to work around my schedule. She was wonderful. That interview lasted about an hour. My experience interviewing with the tribune was the best interview experience I have ever had. Everyone was accommodating, kind, and warm.

Interview Questions

• What are three strengths and three things you could work on?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Oak Brook, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

HR screening then meet with management
    Wait weeks for any news
    In some cases, meet colleagues
    Talk about territory but it may change
    The person I interviewed with doesn't work there anymore
    There was no coaching or support throughout process
    You are on your own