Chicago Tribune Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 8, 2016

2.7

Business Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied online through a job posting site. I was contacted within 5 days by their in-house recruitment staff and participated in a phone screen. I then participated in a phone interview with the hiring manager. Next, was an in person interview with the hiring manager and the associated staff. Following that was a phone interview with the director of the department, after which, an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• What is your overall impression of the newspaper industry   Answer Question

News Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

They had me talk to a number of editors and reporters, most of which expressed concerns about new management (tronc). Morale seemed bad and the newsroom was desserted. They never contacted me after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Just your basic questions, along with discussion about journalism.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL).

Interview

i had an initial phone interview, after that they called for
    face to face with hiring manager and team and then there was another round of face to face with
    managers. Interview was on the skills you had in your resume.They responded pretty quickly

Negotiation

Sales Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter about a potential position over the phone. He was extremely nice and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. The position became unavailable, but my recruiter not only stayed in contact, he gave my resume to several people within the company. After a few weeks, I received an email from another recruiter for a similar position. I had a 20 minute phone interview with her and scheduled to meet with the Director at the headquarters in Chicago. Everyone was upbeat and helpful. The interview process was enjoyable, relaxed and lasted 20 minutes. That same week I interviewed with another manager for coffee in order to work around my schedule. She was wonderful. That interview lasted about an hour. My experience interviewing with the tribune was the best interview experience I have ever had. Everyone was accommodating, kind, and warm.

Interview Questions

• What are three strengths and three things you could work on?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Preliminary- Basic questions: "How would you describe yourself" It was very clean cut. I was asked basic interview questions than it slowly became a conversation piece. We discussed many forms of marketing and even events I have been a part of. Very welcoming environment, all people there are very nice and great to work with.

Interview Questions

• What kind of marketing experience do you have?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune in September 2014.

Interview

meet with team lead then if interested, show you the floor. quick shadow and then meet with sales manager. Have the opportunity to get a feel of what your day to day job would be. Very casual interview. Ask questions to the team lead.

Packaging Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

It was a short process it was on my previous jobs and what I expected from the company. It was a cool interview and I enjoyed the process. It was easy for me also because I knew the manager and supervisor.

Interview Questions

• What am I expecting for pay?   1 Answer

Senior UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

Went in for a technical interview that lasted 1.5 hours. They asked about how to set media points for responsive design in css. How to find a specific element on a page using js or jquery

Inbound Ad Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online at the Tribune website and about 2 days later I received a call from a recruiter. There a total of two interviews that take place before an offer is given, the first is an over the phone interview basically letting the recruiter know more about you (standard questions like what are your greatest accomplishments and examples of when you gave great customer service), After the initial interview I was asked to come in for a physical interview at the Tribune tower. The second interview consisted of a spelling test (it is a bit tricky in the sense that a couple of words will have you second guessing yourself, but over all not too bad. Make sure you know your I's before E's and research commonly misspelled words). After I passed the spelling test (the second interview only happens after the spelling test portion is passed) I was then walked into a conference room where I was met by two hiring managers. The second interview overall focuses more on your customer service skills and phone etiquette ( this is an entry level position so you would have to unfortunately start here before moving up in the company). A week later I was given the job offer.

Interview Questions

• most of the questions were standard question, be prepared to tell your greatest accomplishments and customer service experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations the base salary, bonuses, and insurance plans all came with the offer.

Digital Design Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Tribune in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online was contacted by HR representative. I did an intial phone screening that lead to an in person interview with the Editor. The interview was long but fine. The only part of the process that lacked was the HR not being responsive after the interview.