Christopher Newport University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 8, 2017

2.4

I T Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Long, very long, the longest ever experienced and drawn out, a total waste of time. The Human Resources Department makes spelling and grammar errors in their emails at the 3rd grade elementary school level.

IT Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

asked about knowledge of Operating Systems. Also asked about how long I have worked with computers. Being a computer science major helped with process as it gave me knowledge of computers and working with them.

Interview Questions

• How familiar are you with windows.   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Full day long process. Great people - were really interested in forming a relationship with you and finding people who fit into the institution. Really painted the image of everything being wonderful and it being a great place to work, when in reality, there are a lot of flaws when you are on the inside. Very open to being asked questions and fairly laid back, as long as you maintain your professional front.

Dining Room Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Comfortable, not overly stressful. The paper work was exhausting though,but that was to be expected. The interviewer was nice and had a friendly demeanor. This occurred when I applied while I was a student and again when I asked to be put on for full time employment after graduation.

Interview Questions

• Will you be able to perform in this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The transition was easy, just had to fill out a more formal application and everything went smoothly from there. I greatly appreciate that they agreed to let me come back, this showed that they enjoyed me as an employee.

Cook Interview

Interview

I first received a phone interview which was about 10 minutes long and was invited for an on campus interview. Parking was tough to find so I would suggest arriving at least 30 minutes early. I sat down with a manager and spoke with her for about 30 minutes. When she was finished reading the interview questions from her HR form, she asked me if I had any questions and when we were finished, she told me she would forward her results to HR. I received a letter stating I did not get the job about 2 weeks later in the mail.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, VA).

Interview

It was very easy, I was hired on the spot

Interview Questions

• what type of ice cream am I?   1 Answer

Negotiation

nah, it was set pay

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, VA) in December 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, campus visit

Interview Questions

• Continued questioning about whether or not I had children   Answer Question

Deputy Chief of Auxilary Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, VA) in March 2010.

Interview

The hiring official contacted me directly by email to set up a time for a telephone interview. Prior to this the HR department sent me a formal letter acknowledging receipt of my application…nice. On the day of the interview, the hiring official called promptly at the agreed time. The interview was conducted by a panel of four that included the hiring official, the official’s supervisor, and two individuals who would be supervised by the vacant position. Questions took place in a round robin format. The toughest questions revolved around how I would enforce a policy that I did not necessarily agree with. There was also time for me to ask questions about the position and work environment. The entire interview took 1 hour.
    Two weeks after the interview view I was contacted for an on campus follow up interview however the school did not have the funding to cover my plane ticket since I live on the west coast. Overall my impression is that CNU would have been a very good organization for a solid work environment.

Interview Questions

• How would you enforce a policy that you did not necessarily agree with?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, VA) in March 2010.

Interview

Simply spoke with a professor of one of my upper level physics class who worked at Jefferson Lab. Next class, 2 days later, let me know that their was grant money available and that I could start as soon as the semester ended. A very easy and painless process, no formal interview.

Interview Questions

• No real formal interview so no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation involved, hourly rate was set by the university.