Clayton Utz Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Clayton Utz Interview Questions

Interviews at Clayton Utz

3.2

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clayton Utz.

Interview

Expect standard behavioural questions, such as explain a time when you worked under pressure, describe yourself in three words, why did you choose to study law.

Interviewed by HR and another staff.

Have a story as to why you chose the firm and why you want to work in corporate.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Clayton Utz (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

Absolutely appalling. Interviewers did not make eye contact with me once - just looked down and asked questions and made notes. Incredibly rude demeanour when asking questions.

After the interview I was told I would be heard back from them that afternoon. Heard absolutely nothing. I followed up via email 3 times and received no response.

Cannot believe that a firm with such vast resources couldn't reply to an email or honour their promise to inform me of the outcome of the interview.

Hope their clients are not subject to such lack of professionalism.

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Clayton Utz (Sydney (Australia)) in January 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews and coffee with some team members. Not unduly formal, reasonably friendly. Used a recruiter to identify the role. Process took less than a month. Overall positive process. Great offices.

Vacation Clerkship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Clayton Utz (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)).

Interview

Overall the experience was extremely positive. Not being interested in a career in commercial law, I was never an ideal candidate and found it hard to describe a genuine interest in any practice areas. However the HR staff are some of the nicest people I have met - a supportive culture seems to be a priority of the firm (however I wouldn't know).

Interview Questions

• Which practice areas are you interested in?
      Which practice areas are you not interested in?   Answer Question

Summer Clerkship 2017/18 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Clayton Utz (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2017.

Interview

There was an online application in line with the NSW Law Society requirements, followed by an information night. There were then 2 rounds of interviews, and then cocktail night. Offer was made by phone about 2 weeks after my second interview, in line with the Law Society dates.

Interview Questions

• What skills did you learn in your previous jobs and how will they benefit you in the practice of law.   1 Answer

Forensic & Technology Services Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Clayton Utz (Sydney (Australia)) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied for the 2019 FTS Graduate Program in mid 2018. The first stages were a fairly simple aptitude test and a logic test. If you're a programmer they're quite standard and you'll be used to problem solving.

I undertook two stages of interviews at their Sydney office, and was assigned an interview buddy during this period in order to become familiar with the company and settle any questions or concerns I had. Thankfully my buddy was a really great guy. We met for coffee before each interview and it helped me to relax. The buddy system (and my buddy in particular) shows a great effort and commitment from the company to the recruitment process, which is the reason for my favourable review/experience.

The interviews themselves were quite relaxed, and was between myself and a panel of the recruiter and a technical lead/director. The questions were fairly straightforward but contained more of a legal framing than regular interviews.

Although I performed quite well and reached the end of the application process, I didn't receive the offer as there were higher quality candidates. Regardless the experience was one of the most positive I've had.

Note: they will require an official academic transcript, and you are encouraged to (you should) dress professionally (in a suit).

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were fairly standard for software developers, however a number had a legal framing/twist which would be more unique and interesting to think about in advance.   Answer Question

Forensic & Technology Services Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clayton Utz (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied for the 2019 FTS Graduate Program online. Had psychometric test and 2 onsite interviews. The interviews are not technical at all (no coding at all) it's just behavioural/ situational questions. Even though they target computer science student, I dont think it's a software development related role. The HR, manager and director are very nice.

Associate Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Clayton Utz (Melbourne (Australia)) in September 2017.

Interview

There is an initial interview with the hiring partner and a human resources representative, then a written test, which you take in a room by yourself and is basically to check that your skill level is what they would expect of a lawyer at your level, then a second interview with two other partners in the group just to check that they all like you and the first partner's judgement isn't in error. The whole process takes several months.

Interview Questions

• It was all the usual questions - why are you looking for a new job, why do you want to work here, what have you done previously.   1 Answer