College Chefs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at College Chefs

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at College Chefs (Champaign, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

I went through two interviews on the phone and one in person. The in-person one was conducted by three higher-ups, none of which were the owner.

Interview Questions

• I've often been left completely to my own devices in terms of what needs to be done.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It went smoothly and I was able to raise the position from something originally part-time to full-time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at College Chefs (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

It was a brief telephone interview. The recruiter outlined the company mission very succinctly as well as his personal commitment it. I found the experience easy going and relaxed.

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at College Chefs (Lincoln, NE) in April 2014.

Interview

Initial 1 on 1 Phone interview, followed by Skype interview with recruitment commitee. Questions were mainly skill oriented, making sure I knew how to cook. After a job offer was goven, a group call with many other newly hired chefs took place and orientation was completed.

Head Chef Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at College Chefs.

Interview

I spoke with someone from human resources to do a quick overview of my resume and talk about my backgrund. After that I was contacted for a more in depth interview with one of the companys regional supervisors. I was asked some specific culinary questions that I wasnt expecting at first. Once I was able to gather my thoughts and about 1/2 way through my answer the person cut me off and told me that they could tell that I knew what I was doing and knew how to cook. Then we moved on to other specific questions about how to and various cooking "science" stuff. I was very much being quizzed on my cooking ability and mustve answered the questions well bc they called me back for another interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to come up with 3 menu ideas which should not have been difficult but caught me off guard at first. I stalled the interviewer pretty good I think asking for more specifcs in what they were looking for which allowed me to gather my thoughts.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered a weekly salary for the job which was okay and decent to start out in my opinion at least for the amount of work. I inquired about moving up on the scale and was told there were other accounts that may require relocation but also payed more which I didnt go that route. I think bc this company has such a good reputation I felt like I had less power in negotiating a salary.

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at College Chefs (Lafayette, IN) in July 2017.

Interview

First phase was over FaceTime. Company is really ran by chefs so it was quite pleasant. It was the usual chef questions. What would you do if you ran out of this? How do you make classic semi? Etc. this process took about an hour over two days. The second day was more like a conference call with a couple of the bosses Once the decision was made it’s a bit of back and forth with the lovely hr lady; paperwork and benefits all done via google docs.

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at College Chefs (Champaign, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

We discussed different cooking types, methods, etc. Discussed using fresh items versus processed items. Talked about using fresh herbs to enhance the flavor. Discussed different scenarios about what if you were shorted an item on your shipment or if the kids got into your product and you weren't going to have enough, how would you handle the situation.

Chef Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at College Chefs.

Interview

They called me, talked to me for 40 minutes, set up a web interview for later that day. Talked for another 10 minutes, then that guys boss called me the next day and gave me the job

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I have been in this line of work for 30 years., for me personally it was enough money for the hours

Chef Interview

Interview

After applying to the job I was contacted by HR for a basic interview -- we didn't talk culinary initially (just simply went into my background a bit). After I found out more about the company I expected the interview process to be a cakewalk (afterall cooking for a fraternity should be easy right..?). After my initial interview I went through several more--all of the remaining speaking with Chefs. I was surprised how serious they were about digging into my culinary background and the interview was actually more challenging than I had expected. A lot of Culinary 101 but got much deeper than that.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked very specific questions about what you would do in a given kitchen situation or how you would prepare a specific meal.   Answer Question

Chef Interview

Interview

The interview process for Chefs is pretty thorough. Expect to be grilled on the science and classic cooking techniques. If you are a trained Chef you should be fine. If you are a cook pretending to be a Chef you will likely not make it through the interview process. If you are a cook, be up front about your skills and limitations as they often hire assistants to work under the direction of their Chefs.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked specific questions on how to prepare specific meals from-scratch.   Answer Question

Chef Interview

Interview

I was contacted by an HR person for an initial interview. Then I was contacted and interviewed with several people -- all of which were chefs. We mostly talked about food and how I would prepare certain dishes and I was asked to come up with some creative menu ideas on the spot. It was challenging definitely and they really dug into my culinary knowledge. The fact that I had a culinary degree was good but they were thorough in evaluating that I could actually practice the things I learned in culinary.

Interview Questions

• What makes a forcemeat tough?   1 Answer