Costain Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Costain Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2017

2.7

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Costain (Coventry, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Online application:
    - Why are you interested in a position with Costain?
    - Why are you interested in the role that you are applying to?
    - What extra-curricular activities do you take part in and how do they demonstrate your communication and leadership skills?
    - What is your Unique Selling Point (USP)? - Why should we pick you?

Answered with references to their visions and values, then within 4 weeks I was offered a place at their assessment centre in Coventry:
    - Group discussion + presentation
    - Multiple choice technical questions 20min test
    - 2 on 1 interview (competency based)
    - Pre-prepared presentation to 5 assessors (5 mins)

Assessors all very kind and welcoming, offering feedback after group presentation, and interview was more of an informal chat.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Costain? Why Mech Eng? Name a time when you working under time pressure, solved a problem, solved a problem with time constraints etc.
      What are your strengths? What would you have to consider as the lead project manager (used HS2 as an example of large project)?

At the end they ask you preferred sector + location so do prior research.
      Answer Question

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Costain (Birmingham, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

The Interview was a general process. I got asked typical competency based questions follow by a technical question. The guys interviewing me made me feel very comfortable and settled my nerves.

Graduate Quantity Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Assessment centre with a competency based interview, group discussion and presentations. Very formal and takes up the whole day. Group task is about how you interact with everyone so don't over talk but so not shy away either!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were faced with a problem and how you overcame it.   1 Answer

Early Talent Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Costain (Maidenhead, England (UK)).

Interview

The process was an online application form, first interview was with two members of the learning and development team. They were both lovely and I was able to build a rapport with them. It was a CV chat and some competency based questions. After the first stage, I heard back within one week and received good feedback. At the second stage I met the hiring manager and another member of the recruitment team. They were very welcoming and made me feel at ease straight away, so any nerves that I had disappeared. I had to deliver a 20mins presentation and then I had a few competency questions to answer. I was surprised to receive feedback straight away. It made me feel better as I wasn't sure how I did during the presentation as there was a lot of content to get through. I was shocked when I was offered the job. The process didn't take long at all. My first interview was on 21st September and I start with Costain on 12th October. HR have been fantastic and got all the paperwork over to me within a few days of the offer. Fantastic candidate management.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

arrive at the location given, the provided a map was it wasnt well explained how to get there and i was almost late.

got there had to wait around 10 minutes until someone can drive me inside the site

meet with two engineers

one of them describe the project they were working on

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview took half a day in one of Costain's assessment centers. The company had a very welcoming staff. We were half a dozen interviewees in the morning (and presumably the same number in the afternoon), and were initially given half an hour to meet each other. The secretary explained how the process would take place.
    Later, the interviewers panel came in (about 12 people). Again, we presented ourselves briefly, and started the first exercise: Group discussion (unprepared). We were given some time to discuss it between ourselves (while observed by the assessors) before presenting our solution to the problem to the same panel.
    The second part was an individual short presentation (prepared beforehand), to 2 interviewers.
    Finally, the last exercise was an individual competency interview.
    The interviewers were all very welcoming and friendly. Of course, some of the questions were meant to push the interviewees, but it was a very enjoyable process overall.

Interview Questions

• I cannot remember all the questions. Basically, the competency interview was a succession of questions "describe a time when you..."   1 Answer

Business Improvements Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Costain (Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Online Application- Includes CV and 3 competency questions
    Telephone Interview- Get to know more about you and describe the job role and company
    Assessment Centre- Competency, Group Challenge (Problem solving for a realistic challenge), open discussion & Presentation ( Uni Project or Placement year)

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Costain?
      Typical competency based questions such as teamwork & Leadership etc
      Answer Question

Temporary Works Designer - Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Costain (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Application via University coordinator.

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain in May 2010.

Interview

For the one to one interview, revise your core engineering knowledge such as distillation column, heat exchanger, refrigeration cycle, etc .

For the HR interview, the usual interview questions such as why work for us?, what do you have to offer? etc

Had a team exercise, group discussion and presentation along with the interviews.

Site Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lagos (Nigeria)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Costain (Lagos (Nigeria)) in February 2008.

Interview

First interview was with one human resources manager involving five shortlisted applicants. Only three of us were selected for second interview with the project manager, contract manager and Human Resources manager . At this stage, questions on Professionalism, behavioral questions such as conflict resolutions, attitudes, team work, cooperation, management of anger, and technical questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

To negotiate properly for appropriate salaries