Costain Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Costain Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2017

2.8

Graduate Structural Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Costain.

Interview

Three stages: Individual face to face, group study, presentation. The group study involves discussion and presentation on a construction project. We were asked to present the work that we have done in the summer placement.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Costain (Maidenhead, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the graduate scheme at Costain website. Includes screening questions, after completion I was invited to an interview at the Costain Maidenhead office. The travel costs were also reimbursed, plus the interview topics were also told in advance.

Interview Questions

• Technical design question, plus presentation on selected topic and other "describe a time..." questions   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Costain (Coventry, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Online application:
    - Why are you interested in a position with Costain?
    - Why are you interested in the role that you are applying to?
    - What extra-curricular activities do you take part in and how do they demonstrate your communication and leadership skills?
    - What is your Unique Selling Point (USP)? - Why should we pick you?

Answered with references to their visions and values, then within 4 weeks I was offered a place at their assessment centre in Coventry:
    - Group discussion + presentation
    - Multiple choice technical questions 20min test
    - 2 on 1 interview (competency based)
    - Pre-prepared presentation to 5 assessors (5 mins)

Assessors all very kind and welcoming, offering feedback after group presentation, and interview was more of an informal chat.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Costain? Why Mech Eng? Name a time when you working under time pressure, solved a problem, solved a problem with time constraints etc.
      What are your strengths? What would you have to consider as the lead project manager (used HS2 as an example of large project)?

At the end they ask you preferred sector + location so do prior research.   Answer Question

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Costain (Coventry, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The assessment day was about a Group Presentation, Personal Presentation, Face to face interview. I applied online and I was called in a few days for the assessment day.

Interview Questions

• The face to face interview had behavioural questions and one technical question. The personal presentation was given before but they didnt ask anything on that. The group presentation was easy but always this depends on the team that you were with.   Answer Question

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Costain (Birmingham, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

The Interview was a general process. I got asked typical competency based questions follow by a technical question. The guys interviewing me made me feel very comfortable and settled my nerves.

Graduate Quantity Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Assessment centre with a competency based interview, group discussion and presentations. Very formal and takes up the whole day. Group task is about how you interact with everyone so don't over talk but so not shy away either!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were faced with a problem and how you overcame it.   1 Answer

Early Talent Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Costain (Maidenhead, England (UK)).

Interview

The process was an online application form, first interview was with two members of the learning and development team. They were both lovely and I was able to build a rapport with them. It was a CV chat and some competency based questions. After the first stage, I heard back within one week and received good feedback. At the second stage I met the hiring manager and another member of the recruitment team. They were very welcoming and made me feel at ease straight away, so any nerves that I had disappeared. I had to deliver a 20mins presentation and then I had a few competency questions to answer. I was surprised to receive feedback straight away. It made me feel better as I wasn't sure how I did during the presentation as there was a lot of content to get through. I was shocked when I was offered the job. The process didn't take long at all. My first interview was on 21st September and I start with Costain on 12th October. HR have been fantastic and got all the paperwork over to me within a few days of the offer. Fantastic candidate management.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain in September 2016.

Interview

I was booked for an interview via Computing Futures, however due to an error probably on the recruiters part Simulation Systems were not expecting me and as such were in a rush to print out my CV. I was very lucky they had time to see me as someone else had cancelled their appointment that day.
    They didn't have time to prepare the proper questions so they asked about my CV and asked me to expand on work experience and details about it.

Afterwards, they had a test (that was meant for the person who cancelled) about C++ (that I haven't done before). The test had simple questions such as definitions of classes and required some understanding of hexadecimal and micro-controllers.

Finally, they showed me around the place, which was nice.

Interview Questions

• Write a code to print out all odd numbers less than 100.
      Bonus - try this without using a for or while loop, or goto statements.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

arrive at the location given, the provided a map was it wasnt well explained how to get there and i was almost late.

got there had to wait around 10 minutes until someone can drive me inside the site

meet with two engineers

one of them describe the project they were working on

Senior Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Costain (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview was lead by office manager and logistics manager. Quite relaxed and not pressurised. The role I was applying for was described in depth and I was offered to ask any questions. I referred to my previous role as Costain were my client.

Interview Questions

• How do I feel about being taught new roles such as logistics   1 Answer