Dayton Freight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 12, 2017

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Jackson, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Professional interview. Proper business casual dress. Interviewer was professional and will to get the person that was being interviewed. Dayton Freight location of interview was clean and spotless. Over all the interview was very relaxing.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked on a dock or had any lift truck experience?   1 Answer

Dayton Freight Response

Jun 15, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review! I am glad that you had a great interview experience!

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Dayton, OH).

Interview

took over a year from initial filing of my resume to get a call. Manager had no actual idea of the process. Hired me then two days late said he had to run checks and have me interview some more, very unprofessional. Finally after 3 weeks he finished all of the paperwork.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received a call from the Service Manager roughly two weeks later. Scheduled an interview for the following week. Had another interview a couple weeks later with the regional VP and was offered a position a few days following.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Grand Rapids, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

Went in and met with service manager, he was nice and professional. The girl at the front desk was extremely nice checking me in as well. It starts with a phone screen, and then you will get scheduled for an in person interview. When you go in you will have to take a drug test.

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with working in the extremely cold and/or extreme hot.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Des Plaines, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

The manager that I was scheduled to interview with was not in the office when I arrived, so someone else who was not expecting me had to conduct the interview. It went very poorly because this person was clearly not prepared to interview anyone, and he spent most of the time convincing me not to take the position. I received a call 2 days later to come back and interview for a different position with the person I was initially scheduled to meet with. After this second interview, I never received a rejection email or call back, and the interview itself was odd. This manager did not focus on the job duties but seemed more interested in my personal life. The whole experience was a complete waste of time, and I would not recommend interviewing there.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Warren, MI).

Interview

5 interviews at 3 different Dayton Freight locations, including driving 90 minutes and 60 minutes to other locations that were not the one I applied at for interviews with managers. Process went well though from interview to interview many of the questions were repetitive. In the end I was not offered a position, though after 5 interviews I at least expected a phone call or a personalized email. Only received a form email that "They reviewed my application and have decided not to continue with a hiring process".

Interview Questions

• The freight business is not a "glamourus" business, why do you want to work in it?   Answer Question

Dayton Freight Response

May 16, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your interview experience. I am sorry to hear that you were not offered the position after several rounds of interviews. If you'd like to discuss your experience further, please ... More

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Byron Center, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Byron Center, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

Casual conversation with dock supervisor. Very laid back. Basically just needed a clean legal history. It is very helpful if you know someone who currently works there to refer you.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience using a fork lift/high low or similar machinery?   1 Answer

Supervisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Detroit, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

Two managers, in person interview, then a Skype with the regional manager who was much more cordial. The in person interview was impersonal and cold. There were a lot of awkward silences. Don't be afraid to show your personality, even though the managers seem very serious. Talk about your family, they want to know that you have strong family ties (it's a family based company), but they also want to make sure you are open to transferring, because there are a lot of different terminals. You're never promised to stay at a specific terminal.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of scenario and "name a time when" questions that were tricky to answer on the spot   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Byron Center, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Byron Center, MI) in November 2014.

Interview

Brought into Service Center Manager's office and made to answer a few questions about my knowledge of LTL shipping and Logistics. Asked if I'd be comfortable working on a fast-paced dock environment moving valuable freight. Seemed like he was trying to talk me out of the job.

Interview Questions

• If I was comfortable working in sub-zero temperatures constantly   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dayton Freight (Warren, MI) in October 2014.

Interview

Skills and personality test followed by an interview. The interview process was very simple. After passing the skills and personality test, a interview was scheduled for me 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• How would I deal with an angry customer over the phone?   1 Answer