Derse Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Derse Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2017

2.8

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Derse.

Interview

Overall communication was poor from the start.

Missed HR's initial call regarding my application. I tried calling back periodically over the next few days and could not reach HR and didnt receive a call back until almost day 4 or 5 maybe. Finally scheduled an interview and thought it went great. Followed up immediately after with thank you's. No response at all. Followed up a week later expressing my interest and was told they were reviewing candidates but they would update me when more was known. Could have just told me no right then and there. I follow up again with one of the individuals I actually interviewed with and was told flat out they were hiring someone else. Finally I ask for feedback on any factors that influenced their decision. I see an interview that doesn't lead to a job offer as a growing experience. Again, no response at all.

Just overall really poor communication from everyone involved at this company. I used to be intrigued by this company and thought "that seems like a great company to work for". After my experience it left a very poor impression on me.

At least have the decency and respect for candidates to communicate with them and maybe provide feedback when asked. I cant even take anything away from the experience because I was offered no feedback on what I could improve upon.

Interview Questions

• What would your current manager say you could improve upon.   Answer Question

Derse Response

Jul 14, 2017 – Talent Acquisition and Development Director

We take our interview process seriously, and our records show prompt correspondence with all candidates for this position. I appreciate the time and energy candidates put into meeting with Derse... More

Creative Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Derse (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

I made contact with an HR person via an email address I found on the website, as I was having problems with my online application. The first part of the process went fairly normally: There was a phone interview with the HR person, then an in-depth phone interview with an ECD (on the phone because he's in a different city), then a fairly comprehensive audition project. I'd estimate the project took 6-12 hours all told, between just cogitating, writing, revising, etc. Once it'd turned it in, things started to go squirrelly.

A week passed and I hadn't heard anything, not even a "Thanks, got it," so I followed up. The HR person said "We're reviewing. I'll get back to you by the end of the week."

The end of the week came and went.

The following Tuesday I followed up with an email. The HR person said "We met this evening. I'll call you tomorrow."

The next day came and went. Two days later I followed up again via email--like before, just a short "Any word?" email. The HR person said my project was great, but they were doing some internal shuffling and had to put things on hold. She said I was still a strong candidate and that she'd follow up with me the first week in October, which was roughly two weeks away.

The first week in October came and went. On 10/18 I followed up with another "Any news?" email. The HR person said they were still working on things and that she'd contact me in the next "few weeks".

The next few weeks came and went. In fact, about eight weeks came and went. I decided to reach out to another HR person, the senior person, whose email was also on the website. I outlined what had happened and basically just said that I didn't understand what was going on, didn't understand why they couldn't, at the very, very least say, "Thanks, but you didn't get it" and instead left me twisting in the wind like a dope for three-plus months. And mind you, it's not like I applied and just never heard anything. That sucks, but it's pretty standard. This was a company for whom I'd done a comprehensive project, a company that kept giving me specific dates by which I should expect to hear from them and then flaked every single time.

So, the senior HR person wrote back. She said she wasn't privy to what happened exactly, but she would look into it. She said Derse prides itself on its follow-up, and therefore she was sorry, and that she'd get back to me by the end of the week.

All together now: The end of the week came and went. At the end of the following week, I followed up with a short email.

I feel I should say here that throughout this process I always remained professional/friendly. My only phone interactions were in the context of interviews, so naturally I was on my best behavior. And my emails were always concise and straightforward but never curt--my final email to the senior HR person being the only slight exception. Even then, though, it was pretty innocent.

I just said, in effect, "Not to be a Grinch during the holidays, but you get the irony of this statement, right?" Then I quoted her previous email wherein she said Derse prided itself on follow-up and I'd hear from her by the end of the week. I ended like this, "Again, I've been nothing but pleasant throughout this process, and I don't understand why I should be treated with such a lack of regard.
    Any info would be much appreciated, [my name ] PS-I see the job is still listed."

So yeah, that was the extent of my ire--certainly nothing that would excuse continued silence. And yet to this day I've heard nothing.

Of course, when things like this happen, one can't help wondering what went wrong. More than one (three, actually) of my friends who are also creatives have floated the notion that they used all, or more likely part, of my audition piece for one of their clients. This does happen frequently, and I can't rule it out.

Anyway, as we all know, job-hunters are in a particularly powerless position, and most people I know can't afford to turn down jobs when they're offered, or to overlook opportunities when they come along. That said, I'm sharing this experience not as a punitive measure against Derse. If it has that effect, fine. Truly, I just want job hunters who do have options to know that this happened to me, and if they're not up for this type of treatment, maybe they should look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Are you good at meeting deadlines?   1 Answer

Derse Response

Jan 16, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

We appreciate the time potential candidates put into the application process. We feel it allows both parties to evaluate whether Derse is a fit for their career. When the recruiting process advances... More

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Derse in March 2016.

Interview

Filled out an online application and was contacted by phone the next day.
    Did a phone interview.
    Then they called back for a design test. After which we had a call where I presented my design over the phone. After that they flew me out to the division I applied for, where I had a full day interview and got to interview the company a bit and really decide if I wanted to work there. Then the fallowing week I had a phone interview with a creative director at another division this one was more laid back just explaining what kind of designer and person I am. After that we communicated threw email before I got a final call. The process took a little over a month but worth it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I'm sure I could have but the offer was more the generous and had terms to raise pay and get into company programs already written in that I would have asked for.

Shop Carpenter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Derse (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was a former employee at Derse Atlanta when it was a production facility. It was downsized to rental only. I was part of that team. When Tom Steng came to Derse. I transferred to Las Vegas and went to ID3 where I was metal shop foreman for ten years. I heard from a former employee that Dan Zimmerman was leaving the company. So I asked if there was room for some one with my experience at Derse. Tom asked me to come talk to him and John Stark both of whom agreed to take me on. Tom was taking a tour of ID3 and got to see what the capabilities were at that facility.

Interview Questions

• After working with metal for so many years would I be willing to work in Carpentry again.   1 Answer

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Derse (Milwaukee, WI) in June 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by casual face-to-face (over lunch). I my case there was a trip to be introduced to the potential client and have a chance to meet & get to know the project management team I'd be working with. Offer was made after client was secured and the master service agreement had been signed.

Interview Questions

• Reviewed last position held, similarities to requirements of the current position opening & expectations. No behavioral questions like "tell me about a time...". So no BS, which I appreciated.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I found the salary offer acceptable. Initial offer provided 2 weeks vacation and I was able to negotiate an additional week.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at Derse (Milwaukee, WI) in June 2013.

Interview

Very long and drawn out;

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none