Development Counsellors International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 24, 2017

3.2

Human Resources Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I had a mix of phone and in-person interviews due to the hiring managers and my location. Every time I was invited for an interview I received a calendar invite on my phone. That invite was updated/changed 2-3 times per interview before finally going back to the original time we agreed. Someone needs to learn the calendar feature on their email! They scheduled a personality assessment for me with an outside vendor which I hadn’t been told was part of the process so that was kinda odd. The assessment was about one hour long. I was asked how many days I had taken off work in the past year and if I was financially secure. Both questions were inappropriate and worded to skirt anti-discrimination legislation IMO. At the end of the process I was asked for 12 references. This is 4-6 times more references than most other company’s request which begged the question, is DCI a heavily bureaucratic company where everything takes forever to get done and if so is this the best fit. It is important for everyone to understand that candidates are interviewing companies just as much as companies are interviewing candidates. I’m not sure everyone at DCI has figured this out. Ultimately this company was not for me.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

During the interview process with DCI, they really ensure everyone is on the same page by communicating the process clearly to you and keeping you up to date with what the "next steps" involve. Their point of contact (Nancy) was amazing to deal with and was happy to answer any questions I had. While I originally applied for a different position in the company, Nancy really got to know me, my past experience and my goals for the future, resulting in her suggesting a different role in the company that actually suited me better.

While there are multiple stages to their interview process, you get the feeling that they're ensuring you are the right fit for DCI's culture and workload. Each of the interviewers were incredibly friendly and were able to provide insights into how the company operates, as well as what the expectations are on new employee's. While it was probably the more rigorous interview process I have gone through, it was also definitely the clearest and friendliest.

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (Denver, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

Apply online, phone interview with talent manager, in person interview with manager (who i would be working under), complete a test assignment, explain your thought process by phone call to manager, in person interview with Partner, finally take a personality assessment test to make sure you are the right fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your two biggest take away's from your past experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Fast but thorough.

Four different interviews. All over the phone and Skype because I was in a different location. After two interview, they sent a writing test. After the writing test they have you do an hour long interview with a third-party company to see if you're a fit from a personality perspective. After that, you submit 12 references (personal and professional) and keep your fingers crossed for the good news phone call.

Interview Questions

• Can you submit 12 references?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (Denver, CO).

Interview

The hiring process although thorough, was quick and efficient. After submitting my resume and cover letter by email I received a response the very next morning and scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. A couple of days later I had an in-person interview with the hiring manager. I was then asked to complete a writing sample and submit a list of references for them to contact. What was different from interviews with other companies is that there was just as much focus on making sure that the job role and company was something that appealed to me as there was about me being a good fit for the position. This attitude says a lot about the values of the company.

Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (Denver, CO) in March 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume after viewing an open position on their website. I had been familiar with their reputation which I thought was good until my experience. I had a 30 minute initial phone interview, than a Skype interview, writing assignment which was lengthy, and had to give 12 references. I kept being told I was a promising candidate and finally was told once I met them in person it was a guaranteed thing. I then moved across 10 states for this job and I met the lady I had been talking to and it went fabulous, in my mind. Within 2 days I was called and told that it was between me and one other person and they decided to not go without either of us. Talk about a waste of time, money, energy. I have never been led on by a company as bad as this and I warn anyone applying that if you don't have the right connections....this company seems sketchy that way.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview was good on the balance, but there were definitely some odd parts. They asked some odd and tricky curve ball questions. There were lots of calls and back and forth. The process went on a while and the craziest thing of all is that they require 12 references. I almost passed on the opportunity because that seemed like a red flag. It turned out to just be an eccentricity of the CEO.

Interview Questions

• If we were to meet a friend of yours in an informal setting like a party, what would they say is your biggest flaw.   1 Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

- Phone screening
    - Take home assignment
    - Met some of the team members and the CEO
    - Friendly staff members

I was given a mock assignment to take home for a real client project. Didn't take too long and was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions

• - Talked about past experience
      - Requested portfolio samples   Answer Question

Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (Denver, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process was decent. I went into their office and met with two employees. They were very flexible and personable. I was not that knowledgable about their area of work so they explained a lot to me. I wish they would have followed up to tell me I did not get the internship, but I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Development Counsellors International (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through the website and was contacted by email a few weeks later. I did a 15 minute phone interview, then came into the office for an in-person. That lasted about twenty minutes, not including a tour of the office. A few days later I was asked for six references and to fill out a planning/creative evaluation.

Interview Questions

Position ended up being different than I was looking for.