Economist Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 13, 2017

3.1

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

The phone interview went well. The in-person interview occurred more than six weeks ago. I heard nothing. I inquired. The HR executive told me they made an offer to another candidate. It would have been more professional if they informed me, prior to my inquiry. The HR executive should have also proofread his response.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, with simple screening questions, and then moved to an in person interview, following a case assignment, and then a skype interview. The interviewer was very polite, and friendly, but they never responded back with following steps, and did not answer the questions at the end very well

Interview Questions

• What is one quality that you possess that will be beneficial for The Economist Group?   Answer Question

Community Outreach Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview was over the phone with a writing sample request. It was very efficient and quick. We spent 30 minutes on the phone going over my experience and skills and what I would bring to the table.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to provide ideas on how I would go about creating influencer outreach stategies   Answer Question

EIU Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Really nice people. The process, while lengthy, was enjoyable. I interviewed for a BDM role under the custom consulting umbrella.

Recruiter, Emanuel, was very affable and happy to answer any questions you had and was a good liaison during the process. Initial phone interview with recruiter followed by 2 other phone interviews. The latter being with another BDM and the Head of Custom Consulting. The in person interviews - One with an analyst - Sam - She was terrific and completely welcoming. Really gives you good insight into the EIU and how your role would exist within it. The last interview was with a senior level/board member. Also very insightful and really dug into what aspects of your sales acumen would serve the EIU best particularly how you engage the client throughout the custom cycle.

Unfortunately I went the 5 rounds and didn't get an offer. Disappointing as it appears to be a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Start to finish take me through the engagement process..   Answer Question

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was pretty lengthy but overall a big joke and waste of time.

When I applied it never said in the job description that this was a "indefinite full time position but with no benefits" as I first found out from the HR person during our phone interview. Then after going to the next round of meeting the manager in person, she later had me complete a homework assignment... Again, why is this so much work for a full time position with no benefits?!

After I came in again to meet the rest of the team and did a presentation, they all acted kind of strange towards the end and uninterested. I guess that was my fault, I couldn't have cared less about this role after finding out there was no benefits. It's like really what's the point?

Advice to the The Economist, no one is going to be passionate about working for this company if you're not going to treat them like an employee and rip them of their benefits.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. What drew me into this position. Questions about marketing/email campaigns. If after a week on the job and you go to celebrate with friends, how would you describe your first week? What made it so successful, how would you know you made the right choice in working here?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Economist Group.

Interview

The interview process was somewhat lengthy, but fair. I had 4 separate interviews over the course of 30 days. I also had to take a short quiz/analytical exercise as part of the process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pleasant, but I used a recruiter

Manager Interview

Interview

Responded to an internship post, contacted by HR admin and came into interview with two people from HR who asked me a pretty standard set of questions. The following week met with the hiring manager, who also asked me a standard set of questions.

Credentials + experience, evidenced on the resume shown through.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a strategic project you worked on that provided a solution to a challenge   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY).

Interview

The process was initiated by a recruiter who contacted me about the opportunity. Over the course of two months, I completed five interviews (3 in person and 2 via video conference) and an 1.5 hour presentation. I found all of the interviewers to be pleasant and fair but very intelligent. The one piece of advice I would give to someone interviewing at The Economist is :be prepared. You should know more than industry jargon and company history. Take the time to go deeper. I had several wonderful conversations that would not have been possible if I had not adequately prepared.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected request I received was to put together a 1.5hr presentation on my approach to the position (45 min presentation and 45 min Q&A). It lasted exactly 1.5 hours and the discussion was not solely limited to what was on the screen.   Answer Question

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Relatively typical. A phone interview followed by an in person interview with the hiring manager. The process took some time but wasn't too long. The phone interview was slightly more difficult than average, with more complex questions than Is typical for a screen interview, but the questions were all pretty straightforward, no tricks.

Interview Questions

• What is a time when you had to work out of your comfort zone?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY).

Interview

4 interviews - 1 with HR, 2 with hiring manager, 1 with publisher.
    Friendly interview process

Negotiation

They offered me $5K less than my asking salary, but within 6 months up'd my salary by $7K. So it all kinda worked out.