Elsevier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

2.8

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Elsevier (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Recruiter wanted to setup an onsite meeting without gathering basic facts like salary expectation, role and culture fit. Found out they pay way less than market rate and tried to talk me to take a pay cut. I am glad I found out early in the process, so I did not have to invest anymore time. Train your recruiter to be pleasant, forthcoming and honest about what your company can and cannot offer to potential employees.

Associate Publisher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Elsevier (New York, NY).

Interview

First, there was a phone prescreen with a representative from HR, which went very well. About a couple of weeks later, I had a skype interview between the director and and associate, since they are based in Amsterdam. It lasted a little over an hour

Interview Questions

• There were a couple of questions regarding trends in open access. I received a small data file and had to explain what I though of the data.

Also, how would acquire more clients for Elsevier was a topic that came up a couple of times.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

Pretty much a regular initial interview. Very kind and no pressure, very good experience. they asked about tasks and responsibilities during my career and the experiences related to the job description

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Elsevier (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone screens with Recruiter and Hiring Manager. Then 7 more in-person (or phone for out of town) interviews. That is too much time to ask of any candidate. Very little feedback after each interview but assumed advancement in the process was a good thing

Interview Questions

• Who determines the strategy: Product, Sales, or Marketing   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

The day after I applied online for the position, I received an email from one of their Talent Acquisition managers. We agreed on a time for the first round phone interview. The completion of an online logic exam was required before the in-person interview. He was extremely pleasant and the interview went well (it was not technical, more about me, my studies, etc). He gave me two days to choose from for an in-person interview day at the Philly office. The interview day was long, but exciting. It was about 14 other candidates. We were given a topic for oral presentations about a week before the in-person interview. The day involved oral presentations, lunch, a tour, multiple interviews (at least 3 and the option to stay for optional interviews afterwards, none were group interviews), and some general conversation. Everyone was very welcoming. Some of the interviews were technical, some weren't. The next day, I got the call with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• What data structures do you know (was asked to describe them)? What IDE do you use? Write simple programs (in my case, Java).   1 Answer

Education Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Elsevier.

Interview

Interview process was exceedingly long with very little feedback. From the time of first contact from internal recruiter to finally hearing if I was moving on or not was at least 4 months. I think that it is unfair for companies to not reply to emails in a timely fashion. Potential employees need to know where they stand.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing unexpected. Fairly standard interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Elsevier (New York, NY).

Interview

A recruiter called me out of random at night and left a message. I attempted to call back multiple times and left messages. He never got back to me and ignored my message.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (New York, NY).

Interview

Very standard interview process. Solid recruiting and HR process. Several rounds of interviews with broad range of team members and seniority levels. At times, not every interviewer was clear on what the position responsibilities were, but was able to ultimately tease out what the role was about.

Interview Questions

• How do you make trade-off decisions in go to market planning?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process for me went very quickly. The whole process took approximately 10 days from the first phone interview with the HR rep to when I officially accepted an offer.

Part 1: HR phone interview. Here the representative and I spoke for about 30-45 minutes about my skills/background, aspirations and the expectations of the role.
    Part 2: In person 1:1 interview with the hiring Finance manager. This part flowed like a standard interview session. We met for about an hour and again discussed my background/skill set and the expectations of the role.
    Part 3: I came into the office again for the business case portion of the interview. They gave me about an hour to prepare my answers for 4 different sample questions. You could present them with how you felt most comfortable, white board, Excel, PPT, etc. I presented my analysis and answered questions for the direct hiring Finance manager, another Finance manager and a Business Controller. This was more of a discussion but they were looking for key practical attributes that would identify you as a good candidate for the role.
    Part 4: I had a brief 20-30 minute conversation/interview with the Finance Director. I felt this last step was basically to "feel me out" and learn a little about me.

I received an offer, negotiated a bit and accepted within about 2 days time.

Interview Questions

• The Biggest piece of the interview process is the business case analysis. On your third leg of the interview process you come into the office for about a 2-3 hour session. You are given a business case and have to prep for it, present it, and answer questions.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier.

Interview

Long interviews . If feel that I knew the direct manager very well and the director not at all.
    Tough behavioral questions in first two interviews. Director did a phone interview and did interview in person. The manager layer out the company and responsibilities and even said it was long hours, multiple skills and lot of database work. Know analytics and love them if you apply

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions. The first questions were covering why Elsevier? Why am I looking, circumstances? Know the company and do your internet research. Second interview was covering the project which was a day in the life task of going to accounts. Love that but the questions were tough about the experience. The manager knew the accounts and asked questions about the process and who I meet that I didn't include in the report (admin types, gate keepers). Questions also discussed how I approached the task.   Answer Question