Elsevier Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Kumsal Bayazit

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Uncommunicative middle and senior management" (in 32 reviews)

• "Puts work life balance on the lips but nothing like this in reality" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Elsevier (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, great opportunities to learn new things, exciting technology

Cons

Not much bad to say, really.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Elsevier Response

Mar 1, 2019 – Elsevier Rep

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review.

"Never a dull moment, and that is a good thing!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A powerful mission to support healthcare professionals in the delivery of improved outcomes for all, a strong sense of community, the BEST medical content, a work-hard, play-hard culture. Lots of smart people! Flexible work.

Cons

The Business is undergoing a major data/analytics transition and the fast paced, global matrix environment is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue the important transformation while recognizing the strength of the legacy portfolio, and the teams still delivering these products, which provide our very “right the play” in the more data oriented future.

3. "Information analytics company"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Elsevier full-time

Pros

Dedicated workforce that cares about quality

Cons

Open plan that impairs productivity

"Best People, Poor Strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Elsevier full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People all work hard, care about each other, and want the company to succeed. There is generous time off, flexible schedule, and work from home days. The company also recently expanded their short term policy for maternity/paternity leave.

Cons

The pay is very low, even for publishing, and the insurance is terrible. There is little room for growth. Years with the company is seen as a negative and company does not provide much employee training or job shadowing opportunities.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your bonus structure for sales reps domestically and internationally since your incentive program creates so much competition. You are bleeding revenue as channels compete. Reinvest in your content, the people who produce it, and continue to try new ways to distribute the content at optimal prices for each market. Allow current employees the opportunities to try new roles and grow in the business.

5. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working accommodations, great benefits and 401K, great compensation

Cons

Internal promotion historically has been a weakness but is being addressed.

"Miserable work, great co-workers"

Current Employee - Account Support
    Current Employee - Account Support

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are great. There are activities sometimes, and food. There's a Foosball table to distract people.

Cons

Poor upper management decisions from Amsterdam. Regular breakdown in communication between departments. No recognition or appreciation for huge workload. Little to no training across at least two separate systems. Inefficient workflow, communication, and cooperation between departments. Unreasonable expectations from sales, who have no idea how any processes actually work, and always get their way. The job's only saving grace were the fellow sufferers on the account support team because the pay wasn't worth it.

"Inept sales management but superior product"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Elsevier full-time

Pros

Publications and databases superior to all others.

Cons

Problem is that Elsevier is so large that universities do not want to spend most of their budget on this company. A psychological perception that is hard to overcome.
    Sales managers are now mostly from Dow Jones or other short-term sales industries like autos and insurance.

One actually trains with that famous film clip about steak knives from Glengarry Glen Ross movie. They have no understanding of the academic market and are now losing millions in major university cancellations of their product. All because they don't relate with the academic market, and it's desire for open access, and their need to make budget targets at whatever cost.

Advice to Management

Hire more relevant and understanding sales managers. This is not a real estate or car sales market.

8. "Great"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are very kind. They want you to succeed.

Cons

Need to upgrade software.

"Relaxed Environment, if a bit old school"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the people I work with are very nice. No issues, no negative pressure, everyone is very understanding and accommodating, especially towards new employees like myself (~8 months as of this review). Management is great, my co-workers are all super friendly and helpful. I am given a project and entrusted to run with it by myself, which is good for growth, and I know I have people on my team I can go to in order to help me. Work/life balance is phenomenal, I can work completely from home if I need to (though too much of this is frowned upon, and it is not the norm to work from home more than once every couple weeks as need arises).

Cons

Although the company is moving towards a more future-focused, "cool" work environment, we're not quite there yet. Cubicles can be a pro if you prefer them, but I tend to love collaboration and pair programming, and that happens very infrequently here. It is not the standard, rather something that occasionally happens. Overall, the environment is pretty old-school business style, what you would expect from a typical office environment. This is mostly due to the experience level of the teams, and everyone is used to doing it the way it has been done for a while, and see no reason to change. If that is what you want though, then ignore this being a con! This may just be a generational difference too though.

Advice to Management

Flexible working policy that the company at large has implemented hasn't really trickled down to lower management yet. I would love to be able to work 9-9-9-9-4 to align my work schedule better with my wife's, but this isn't actually allowed by my manager (even though it technically should be fine, according to higher up company policy).

10. "Three stars"

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and work/life balance.

Cons

Health benefits not great compared to what they used to be.