Elsevier Reviews | Glassdoor

Elsevier Chief Executive Officer Ron Mobed
Ron Mobed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management wants to oversimplify book publishing by making everything conform to a model, which is not always appropriate (in 28 reviews)

• Surveying employees on how to improve but then little to no change occurs (in 12 reviews)

"I enjoy working at Elsevier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, fair pay and flexibility

Cons

I don't have much bad to say.

"Akward transition period"

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employees are great, made many friends at Elsevier.

Cons

Company is in a major transition from print to digital. In its panic to move the business forward, looking more at short-term than long term

Advice to Management

Walk the walk in terms of valuing your employees. Talk is very cheap, and that's why so many people are leaving the company.

"It pays the bills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been in multiple positions with this company and the biggest pro is flexibility.

Cons

The pay is terrible, lots of complainers, and not much opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Stop with the constant changes. Make a change and stick to it before making more changes.

"Investing in all the right places"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Elsevier full-time

Pros

The company is not afraid to invest in their people. They invest heavily in equipment, software, and social activities for employees to enjoy where they work. Some senior executives are very open with the teams, come out for beers, and work alongside even entry level developers on a regular basis. They embody the company values to a T.

Cons

I emphasized 'some senior executives' as this company (like most) do have some 'ivory tower' executives too. While the good executives (mentioned in the 'pros') do all the right things to value their employees, the other executives either dismiss the knowledge and ideas of staff, or even sometimes demean them and publicly scold them on the open floor for something that wasn't even their fault.

Advice to Management

Keep the good executives and clean house on the 'negative reinforcement' executives. It might be hard to part ways with some of their knowledge, but you're going to lose your development talent if you don't remove this negativity. And the CEO recently held a town hall where he emphasized the importance of the families of the employees and wanting to bolster that involvement, but you still refuse to invite or allow families to come to company events like the yearly picnic. It would be great if your actions followed your words.

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-pace environment, lots of opportunities for growth, ability to cater work load towards career goals, networking

Cons

High turn over, passive aggressive employees, don't care about you as a person or employee, low pay

"Off to Asia we go"

Former Employee - Technology Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Elsevier full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

there weren't many. You were a number. A stat. A way to get the company trained to send work over seas

Cons

use you to train the over seas teams then its out the front door!

"Great Culture and Job. Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Elsevier full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Work/Life Balance, Travel Opportunities, Diverse Workforce, Benefits

Cons

Salary, Leadership, Company Direction, Communication of Objectives and Goals from Corporate

Advice to Management

Come up with a thought out objective and goal and then pursue it. My department routinely would spend months working on a project only to be told that we were doing it the way we were before we started the project again. This causes frustration and a lack of motivation within your departments.

8. "Exam Admin"

Current Employee - Exam Administrative in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Exam Administrative in South Houston, TX

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility good regarding personal time

Cons

Raises are not that great

Advice to Management

Need more room for advancement

"Creative Services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Elsevier full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, telecommuting, generous vacation and sick time

Cons

Terrible benefits, no real path for advancement, perpetual reorganizations, poor leadership

Advice to Management

Improve benefits, stop cost-cutting! add stability!

"Downhill express"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Maryland Heights, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at Elsevier full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some veterans tell good stories of the glory days, if you can find one. Work at home opportunities likely available in many departments as they're always finding new ways to empty out their fancy building; maybe they'll start leasing the space.

Cons

Leadership seems incapable of taking suggestions given by programmers and staff regarding proper customer service; shipping buggy software and poorly-protected books and journals is fine; most customers won't return them. Offshoring all possible labor to India and the Philippines is fine; the money saved on salaries and benefits more than offsets the business lost due to their errors.

Elsevier reduces salary increases and health benefits as much as possible for all employees who aren't upper-tier management and pads the pockets of those who actually make the decisions while attempting to streamline everything to excuse their policies as good business to major shareholders.

Lean Six Sigma can be an effective way to untangle a messy corporate infrastructure and introduce clear direction and priorities to an otherwise nebulous morass. That's what it's for. You can't just throw it at every team, especially since Elsevier already has tightly-defined teams going into things. Some higher-up just thought LSS sounded fancy and convinced us to waste thousands and thousands of dollars on trainers to "help" us do what we're already doing, just with more purposeless meetings and nagging requirements.

Every single major decision I've seen since joining them some years ago has been a bad one from the perspective of everyone but the upper brass who use the sweat and tears of the workforce to polish their boots.

It's just progressively worse every year; I quit because it was soul-crushingly depressing to work for an employer like that. Broke my heart, since I'm a proudly loyal person and my team was fantastic, but this is a terrible place to spend a day, let alone multiple years.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to the money-hungry devil on your shoulder and start listening to your workforce. Then again I'm pretty sure you're working on getting as many to quit as possible via passive-aggressive mistreatment so you can offshore and use contractors/consultants that don't ask for benefits instead; their pay could be allocated as a line item expenditure (like everything/everyone to do with Lean Six Sigma), something that would sound sexier to shareholders than spending a dime on employees, which is apparently seen as some kind of liability these days.