Energy Solutions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Energy Solutions

Energy Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Energy Solutions (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

typical 30-minute phone screen seeing if my work experience and education fit within the Energy Solution job requirements. Both interviewers were very friendly and asked relevant questions about my resume and how it could relate to the job being applied for.

Energy Efficiency Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Energy Solutions (Orange, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was from out of state, so the first interview was over the phone with two of the HR team members and then the next interview was also over phone with the director of this position's team. After those two, they flew me out to their office and I interviewed with three of the team members I would be working with. The last step was a phone interview with the CEO of the company. All-in-all a very informative and great interview process!

Interview Questions

• Asked lots of behavioral questions as well as technical questions, want to know that you are good at keeping a conversation going and that you fit in well with the rest of the team.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Energy Solutions (Oakland, CA).

Interview

I came in for a day long interview and met with about 5 people (would be manager, co-workers, and the President). The interview process went very well -- everyone was engaged, interested, had clearly looked at my resume, and very much wanted to see if I would be a good fit. It got a little exhausting by the end -- be ready to talk and have lots of energy!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be here; why are you interested in energy efficiency; why do you want to work for a small company. Describe a time you've worked with difficult people; describe a time you've had to manage a project. Typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation:
    This is where it became disappointing. The benefits and salary that this company offers are bad. The whole HR process was handled poorly and unprofessionally. I got no formal offer call/email/letter. The HR manager sent me a spreadsheet with salary and benefits information. The salary is very low for the Oakland area. You get 7 days off -- total -- for the whole year. You're welcome to take as much "unpaid time off," but this doesn't do you much good when the salary is so low. No paid holidays at all. The spreadsheet I was sent was unprofessional and misleading, including 401K in annual compensation, so that I had to do my own math to figure out how much I was going to take home every month. My negotiation resulted in a few hundred dollars extra -- and I was pressured to make a decision as quickly as possible (a matter of days). It was a shame, because everyone I met at this company was fantastic, and I would have loved to work with them. For such a small, "mission" driven company, you would think the President would be interested in taking care of his employees.

Associate Interview

Interview

I was referred by a former employee. The first interview was a quick phone call where they asked about which of their current projects peaked my interest. They asked me about my interest in energy and the environment and my experience in groups (leadership). I would say they are looking for smart people who can learn quickly (they really throw you in the deep end here) who have good "kindergarten skills" - you work well with others, are pleasant to be around every day in the office, respectful, fun, etc. Then I had a couple of on-site interviews where I was interviewed by the President, the VP, some project leads and by other current Associates. Honestly they didn't ask me very many hard questions and were more trying to sell me on the position.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Granted you should be expecting this question, but it was difficult because I was straight out of undergrad.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Energy Solutions (Oakland, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

I was recruited by phone after meeting an employee at an event. I went to the office for first round of interview, with maybe 4 people. A week or so later, I went back for second round of interview and they presented me with an offer. About a week later, I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Not unexpected, but important: why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did negotiate for a very slightly higher salary, and they gave it to me. The compensation is difficult to compare to other companies. It is hourly, even though everyone above a certain level is technically "salaried." So it was difficult to translate the compensation from hours to annual salary, since the it is not a guaranteed 40 hour week.