Fandom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Fandom

2.5

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fandom (New York, NY) in August 2019.

Interview

Set up a call with the recruiter. We spoke for about 20-30min. He said I’m a perfect cultural fit and my experience was on point. We spoke about comic books and tv series for a good portion of the call. I asked him a couple questions about the role, one being a remote role. I explained to him I saw the role online as being remote. He seemed confused as it wasn’t a remote role (even when the role said REMOTE OK), but I told him where I found the job. He said they had an office in the city closest to me and that I could potentially work out of there. He was going to follow up with the hiring manager and check, then get back to me. Still no word after several attempts (four email and 1 phone call) to follow up on the role. It’s recruiters like this that make me hate the interviewing process because they freeze you out or never follow through on what they say. Treat you like garbage. Not a great way to represent your company. This experience really turned me off from working here and out a bad taste in my mouth. From what seemed like an exciting opportunity with a great company (that I admit and am a fan of) turned into a crappy interview experience.

Gaming Video Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fandom (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

After a recruiter phone interview, I was given a writing test. After passing that, I interviewed with the hiring manager. Past that phase, I interviewed with four employees involved in the position.

Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I learned a lot about the company and their mission. The process took roughly 4 weeks, but the recruiter was very communicative throughout.

Community Manager - Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fandom in July 2018.

Interview

I was contacted for a video conference call for the 1st interview about a week after applying for the position. The person that interviewed (HR)had a general understanding of what the company meant by "community manager" for background experience. However, during the interview, I had to further (and in depth) explain that my background as a community manager was not online based and pointed it out that my resume said as such. After making this fact known, the demeanor of the interviewer changed and the body language became that of no longer being interested and "disappointed" in my backgroundground experience. I received a rejection for the position a few days after the interview, with "lack of experience" being the reason for denial.

About 5 days after the initial rejection, I was contacted by the same HR representative to schedule another interview for the same position because "there was a change in management" and the new manager wanted to interview me.

We scheduled a new interview a few days later and again, this was a video conference call with 5 people, a director, the current person in the role, and 3 people I would be managing. The call lasted 2 hours, broken into 30 minutes sections. There were questions about my gaming experience and background that came up and experience in community roles came from the managers. The questions from the 3 associates were primarily focused on if I had experience being a manager and how I would manage a team of remote employees.

Some of the questions gave some red flags, as it appeared that some of the people interviewing me had not fully read my resume, had no working knowledge of the gaming industry with regards to content creation for new releases, and my having to explain to one person what "live streaming" was. I asked questions regarding how content for new wikis was gathered and if attending conventions or expos was a source, to which I was told that no one from the gaming community development side attended conventions or expos because all persons had to be available to work and retrieve information from "online sources".

A few days later, I was rejected from the position again, for the reasons of "lack of experience" and finding a candidate that lived closer to the home office.

The fact that I was interviewed twice and rejected twice for the same reason seemed very unprofessional, troublesome, and disturbing that there was no communication between the outgoing management and incoming management and a "second interview" had to be made that resulted in the same denial as the first.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with gaming and how long have you been a "gamer"?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever used "wiki text" or edited a wiki forum?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been a manager over a group of people? Have you managed a group of people that worked remote?   Answer Question
    • If the analytical data says that 1 game is being searched for heavily and could be "popular", but your gut says something else, can you let go of your gut feeling and follow the numbers, regardless of the outcome?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fandom.

Interview

The interview was roughly an hour over the phone. Overall the interviewers were easy to talk to and had few questions about my skills and experience and seemed to mostly be gauging interest. There was no follow up at all, even to tell me I did not receive an offer- I just never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked on a project with a team, what benefits do you think there are when working with a team   Answer Question

Editor, Entertainment Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fandom (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Very easy and welcoming. Everyone I spoke to was immediately approachable and very clear about what the job would entail. Like the best interviews, they didn't feel judgmental. It just felt like tow people having a normal, civil, and enlightening discussion. The interviewers were always prompt and able to answer any question I had.

Interview Questions

Fandom Response

Mar 2, 2017 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback - and thank you for making the decision to join the Fandom team! We hope you are enjoying your experience so far and as always welcome additional feedback now that you are on board.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fandom in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process was lengthy which was a bit frustrating initially, but I grew to appreciate how thorough everything seemed. Everyone that I spoke with was very accommodating and most seemed like they truly had a passion for what it is that they do. The interview questions were also very true to the job description which I found admirable.

Interview Questions

Fandom Response

Jul 28, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

We are glad that you were able to gain a thorough understanding of Wikia prior to joining us. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Director of Content Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Fandom (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview Process is really long. I interviewed over 6 weeks and had a combination of video interviews and in person interviews totaling 10 hours of time chatting with people at the company

Interview Questions

• There were lots of questions about how I would use metrics in my job to make decisions, and questions regarding how I deal with staff members who are unmotivated.   Answer Question

Nov 4, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thanks for providing details regarding your interview experience - we appreciate your feedback and will take that into consideration for future interviews.

Sales Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fandom (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Fantastic process from start to finish. Great use of technology by the talent team with Blue Jeans video conferencing to start the screening. The Wikia team was incredibly respectful of my time in scheduling interviews. The interviews were well prepared and each team member focused on job-specific questions. No filler questions I often receive in interviews.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with X system? How familiar are you with creating X? Have you ever X?   1 Answer

Director of IT and Facilities - Fandom Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Fandom (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had submitted my cover letter and resume through Wikia's online form, and received an email confirmation (3/1) on that. About 10 days went by, I'd heard nothing, so I decided to reach out through LinkedIn connections. I had all the qualifications they'd listed in their job description and thought it was odd I hadn't received any word. I sent a note to the mutual contact, and lo, I was contacted by a Talent Coordinator. We set up a call for a week later with the "Talent Lead, North America".

There was an issue with BlueJeans so we fell back to a phone call; the first thing out of her mouth was, "Well, you know we're pretty far along in our selection process for this position..." My impression was she had no interest in me as a candidate and was fulfilling an obligation. I received a thank you email stating they'd decided to move forward with another candidate. I responded asking if my interview was prompted by my online application or reaching out through linkedIn, but never got a response.

Fast forward a couple months, I'm looking in my SPAM folder over July 4th weekend, and there's an email from June 14th indicating they've received my application, someone will review and get back to me. I think that answered my question.

Looks like they're trying to fill the same position, again: Global Head of IT and Facilities for Fandom. It's a different title, but the job description looks almost identical.

Interview Questions

• What is your interest in this position?   1 Answer

Jul 12, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are always looking for ways to create a better candidate experience and will use your comments to make improvements to our interview process. Best of luck in your search.

Community Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fandom (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Kind folks, thorough process. They move pretty quickly too. I did a video call with a talent coordinator shortly after I applied, then did a call with one of the hiring managers a few days later. I came in for an on-site interview about a week or two later. I interviewed with six people in pairs, so it was pretty lengthy. However, everyone was really nice and asked great questions relevant to the role. I liked that they showed me around the office as well. I didn't get an offer but it was a good process overall and I'd definitely apply with them again. I only wish that I received feedback as to why I didn't get an offer, but that's only a "would be nice."