Fandom Reviews

Updated Jan 12, 2021

3.3
Fandom CEO Perkins Miller
Perkins Miller
Pros
  • "I was worried about joining Fandom based on GD reviews from this year, but those that say things are on the upswing are telling the truth(in 20 reviews)

• "Good work life balance, middle managers go a long way to accommodate your personal circumstances(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "They preach transparency, but there's a reason we all joked about "the shadow organization that actually runs fandom"(in 14 reviews)

• "senior management that care more about monetizing the business rather than people that work at the company(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Enthusiastic and Welcoming Team! Exciting Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Fandom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Huge opportunities for growth, and a really fun industry to work around (entertainment). I've only been there a short while but everyone I've met has been warm and ready to share info. It really seems like most people truly like what they do, and want to make everything better. There's so much Fandom has to offer. I'm looking forward to being a part of delivering it!

Cons

LOTS of work to do to realize the opportunity....is that a con?

"A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I have been working at Fandom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fandom is comprised of extremely kind, intelligent, and passionate employees. The leadership team is empathetic and has done incredible at navigating the unforeseeable and chaotic 2020. By far the best place I have worked.

Cons

Limited clarity on career advancement, however, they are trying to address it by offering internal learning tools.

November 30, 2020CPO

Fantastic, appreciate you sharing this insight. And you are correct, career advancement is a big push for us and we've seen some great promotions this year so far (with more to come based on our amazing talent!)

"Some good people but Management was questionable"

• Diversity & Inclusion

I worked at Fandom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Fandom are generally positive and supportive.

Cons

Management was whipsawing from one initiative to another during my time there with many long time people that had survived the multiple layoffs up to that point leaving when given the opportunity.

4. COVID-19

"Not a great place to work"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Fandom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- There are truly some amazing, hard working, and talented people here - There are still some people who care about company culture - Work-Life Balance is good - Flexibility when it comes to remote work and hours worked is good - Benefits are decent, with a 401k match ($2k cap, 2 year vest) coming next year - Our products have a lot of users and our staff has a lot of passion

Cons

Look no further than the passive aggressive (or just aggressive) responses from the CPO on previous reviews if you’d like a snapshot of what much of leadership is like at Fandom. Leadership is now asking for Glassdoor reviews in All Hands, emails, and sometimes when positive things are said about the company on Slack. Many of the recent positive reviews are from employees in sales and marketing that have been asked to leave a review. As far as I can tell, things are mostly fine for them. Be sure to look at reviews for your department before working here. Several brand new engineers were also asked to leave a review, which they did (with 5 stars). In my opinion, a month or two isn’t a sufficient time to get a feel for how a company is operating, especially during these remote work times. The Huntsville office had almost zero turnover for years leading up to Fandom acquiring us. More than 50% of the Huntsville office has now quit (or been fired) since the acquisition in January 2019, with almost all of it taking place in the last 6 months. We’ve lost a large portion of the engineers that built DDB and had the deep knowledge of the codebase. These departures aren’t limited to the Huntsville office. Leadership initially framed the turnover as an occasional person leaving due to them finding a new awesome opportunity, but after the trickle of people leaving turned into a flood, they stopped acknowledging the departures unless directly asked. Key people with strong performance reviews put in their notice and there was no attempt to keep them or even a conversation from anyone in management. Compensation in Huntsville was not competitive, nor was it even among job roles. People with the same title and role could have a salary differential of more than $20k. The company may be addressing this in 2021, but it isn’t known what salary data they’ll be using to determine if pay is competitive. If you only look at the general Huntsville market, Fandom pays better than many of the government contractors in town. If you look at the smaller startups and more tech heavy companies, we aren’t very competitive. Failure to acknowledge failure. At least a few of our recent features have had very poor performance after release. These features were created on a whim, without any real research or data backing the decisions. The performance metrics aren’t even coming close to most of the goals that were set. Instead of acknowledging this and learning from what went wrong, we ignore the goals and label them “a great platform for experimentation”. Employees are encouraged to raise issues with their managers, but should be wary about doing so. Despite being told that there will be no retribution for speaking up, people have been punished. Employees have also been pulled into meetings with HR about their negativity. If you are still here at Fandom, be very careful about who you talk to if you are unhappy. The CTO has repeatedly told unhappy people to leave the company and that they won’t see the change they want. Leadership seems to hire their friends into other key leadership roles rather than promoting qualified candidates from within. Very limited diversity among the regular employees, with some diversity in leadership. Lack of tangible reward for exceptional performance. The bonus given to people with okay reviews this year in lieu of raises doesn’t count. Multiple surprise layoffs, even before COVID. Layoffs of people on maternity leave. Leadership told US employees how much cheaper labor is in Poland. There are a growing number of engineering contractors working on high-impact areas of products. New hires have failed portions of the interview and lack experience in critical areas, but are still hired into senior positions to get a warm body in a seat. Very limited action taken based on feedback from our quarterly pulse surveys. The leadership section of the survey was one of the lowest-scoring areas until the section was removed entirely.

"Went under"

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time

Pros

Great while it lasted. Incredible perks and great coworkers.

Cons

Business model failed so the company didn't survive.

6. COVID-19

"Great culture, growing business, fun category"

Current Employee - Other

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

Good core leadership team and strong focus on people

Cons

Tough year with covid19 and integrations with new companies was hard

November 3, 2020CPO

Yes! Super fun category. If you're a fan of movies, entertainment, TV and games, please join us!

"Amazing being part of a transformation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Fandom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge scale and opportunities for growth despite low brand awareness (another opportunity!), deepest resource for fan information in the world, lots of amazing data to make fan experiences even better, lots of new expertise driving measureable impact.

Cons

Very small yet very loud group of angry team members who don't want to run Fandom as a business where initiatives need to be rationalized against goals and where people bring expertise in product, sales and marketing that didn't exist before. They prefer running businesses as hobbies based on personal interests with no analysis of profitability or opportunities for growth. You're seeing the comments here and in companies meetings where the CEO repeatedly patiently and nicely answers their rude questions. It would be great for these people to find another job that makes them happy instead of complaining for months on end. Sometimes the initiatives that the company is driving feel disconnected and we'd like a clear 3-5 year strategy.

November 9, 2020CPO

Thanks for posting and appreciate you candidly sharing your insights

8. COVID-19

"Great culture, caring leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Respectful, caring work culture. Great work/life balance. A leadership team that genuinely cares and listens to feedback.

Cons

Mergers/acquisitions created a mixed set of cultures and values that the company is still working through and trying to get right. The pandemic affected the business, with furloughs and layoffs an unavoidable result.

November 3, 2020CPO

Appreciate you sharing, and agree we really do take employee feedback seriously. Regarding your cons comment, agree on your acquisition comments and we have learned a lot from that and have much better processes in place today. Thanks again for being a valued team member!

"A Ton of Potential Starting to Be Realized"

Current Employee - Programming in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People: really great team of folks who genuinely care about what they are doing. Several teams mashed together through acquisition so some growing pains for sure but people who support each other. Big Opportunity: platform is massive and under-utilized (lots of potential around what this company could be)

Cons

Clear 5-year Plan: company tends to be opportunistic about expansion and acquisition, so can be difficult to think through all the possibilities and what that means for specific action today.

November 3, 2020CPO

Thanks, and agree we have amazing people to work with - it's a huge part of what truly makes us a family. Regarding your 5 year plan comment, we do have one, but it appears we need to do a better job with communicating it. I'll take this feedback to the team - thanks

"Don't believe the negative reviews - Great place to be!"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Fandom full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Fast-moving company riding an unexpected wave in a tough year * Positive culture focused on building an inclusive workplace and celebrating all contributions * Extremely proactive about measuring and responding to employee feedback. * Strong, earnest management team that is focused on our objectives and cares about building and developing from within. Senior leadership is all relatively new, but has quickly built strong trust and working relationsnhip.

Cons

* Fast moving doesn't always translate to thoughtful - not many clear cut processes/systems * Staff is not as diverse as it could be - something that is recognized and being addressed. * Team is generally under-resourced - lots of late nights/weekends and single point of failure for critical functions.

November 3, 2020CPO

Thanks so much for posting this review, agree with your Pro's and I certainly acknowledge your Con's and we are working on each of them. Thanks for being a part of the team!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 119 English Reviews