Fandom Reviews | Glassdoor

Fandom CEO Craig Palmer
Craig Palmer

"A Really Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wikia is a great place to work - the Company is evolving to be more of a media company and using its strengths (including its huge fan base and extremely knowledgeable/ passionate fans) to make this a success while at the same time nurturing and growing its core business which are its communities. Management has been very open about this and associated developments and the opportunities are huge.
    The employees at Wikia are engaged, caring and motivated. Management is strong, communicative and, from my perspective, makes the right decisions.

Cons

With the company's evolution there has been some change including some layoffs and some new hires. Also, change can be hard. While some decisions have probably been difficult to make, they had to be made. It is fine for those who disagree with the decisions to criticize them; however, some of the posted comments cross the line from critical to personal, and that is unfortunate (some may say it is to be expected). Regardless, the bottom line for me is that the company is on the right path and the results prove it.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with your decisions. Solicit feedback from employees.

Apr 14, 2017 – President and CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I've been at this 30 years and agree that change is always hard. We will take your advice to heart. We have been holding company meetings very frequently this year to ... More

"I'm pretty sure Fandom is a Horcrux"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have some nice colleagues that I really believe in. The work/life balance is usually good. Benefits are pretty reliable and satisfying.

Cons

The C-level leadership is a joke. They are ego-driven, petty and reactive. Gotcha questions abound just so they can be the smartest man (yes, white man) in the room. There's no alignment or consistency in what the company actually hopes to achieve or what the end-game is. This creates cabals and cliques with no clear way to get any meaningful work done other than through politics.

Not a single soul on the current leadership created what makes Fandom successful — they merely inherited it. By all available evidence they are willing to destroy what is successful (communities creating unique content, wikis) in order to have their own copycat ideas succeed (low-quality editorial content, blogs).

I hoped the December layoffs would be a wake-up call. Nope. Still hell. Anyone have any job leads?

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake Glassdoor reviews. Resign.

Apr 14, 2017 – President and CEO

As always, I appreciate the feedback. Change is always hard and it is true, the company evolved it's strategy in the last year. This change in strategy expanded the focus of the company from ... More

"Misdirected and mismanaged"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here when it was known as Wikia, the Universe of Fandom. Here, I had opportunities to lead high-level projects. The projects were often fun, not only because of the topics but because I'd get to geek out with coworkers. I worked with some of the brightest, most compassionate, dedicated, lovable people at this company. Together with our users, we perpetuated, chronicled, and celebrated culture.

Cons

Too bad many of those amazingly dedicated coworkers I mentioned were either laid off or quit early, feeling disillusioned and spent. Management was consistently inconsistent. I quit because I was often doing the work of my managers due to poor time management, lack of resources and organization. Although I was often doing work well out of my scope and often taking the lead on projects, I was told I still had to work harder for a title change and appropriate compensation. When I was interviewed for my role, I was told I'd have opportunities to go to conventions and culture events for research. Later, I was told there was no budget.

The team I was on was often neglected. In the time I was there, we didn't go on any team building or bonding off sites. Issues within the team were given band-aid solutions that avoided the negligence and ineptitude of senior managers and their subordinates. We worked long hours and weekends because of poorly thought out high-level strategies. Some projects that we worked on for months were abandoned without much explanation. Other projects that should have taken days took several months. Mentorship was nil. Talents weren't encouraged and nurtured. We were often forced to work on our own instead of being orchestrated as a team. I felt unappreciated and jerked around by my managers. I knew this was because of a trickle-down effect from senior management who were not sure what to prioritize and were at a loss of what it meant to "own Fandom." Many of the senior staff aren't even completely sure what they are selling. It's a bad sign when a founder isn't sure how to explain what is Wikia, now known as Fandom. At a company meeting in 2015, an employee asked him how he'd explain Wikia. He looked confused. I was embarrassed.

The values of the company are vague and questionable. The company is at the mercy of it's users and the content the users generate. Without the users, their dedication, and attention to detail, the company is nothing. The users and their communities are not given the power and recognition they deserve. As much as I advocated for those who comprise Wikia/Fandom, it felt that there were always other priorities.

Advice to Management

Foster a diverse team of caring, open, communicative, authentic, well-read, knowledgeable leaders who actually give a damn. Try to understand fully what Fandom really is: something Wikia execs could never truly own. The real fans own it. Listen to them.

"Worried about my stock & posters who think moms are lazy"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pro: Work/life balance for PARENTS (not just moms lazy people and pretenders - like the last person posted), as well as anyone with interests that rounds them out as interesting human beings who have ambition in life beyond proving how they come in earlier and stay later than others. Do you want a gold star for that on your tombstone? That thinking is passé and the resultant poor productivity is backed by science. Maybe you need to check your definition of "lazy."

I sincerely hope that was a mistake, otherwise you should be ashamed of yourself. Perhaps you will literally never know how hard mothers work to climb the male-dominated ladder to make 70 cents to every dollar a man makes. Though the rest, I don't disagree with.

Cons

Management who thinks they are the smartest ones in the room. Bloat and in-fighting at the top. Lack of vision. So many good people left years ago, and since then it's been a revolving door of jerks.

Advice to Management

Sell already, please! So people can finally get something for the years & money wasted earning that paltry equity. You keep watering it down anyway -- not just for raising rounds, but adding huge numbers of shares to getting the current leadership to sign on. Leadership that believes they are from a more important class of people than the rest of us despite inability to deliver results. Get rid of certain department heads - toxic dead weight for years who are the most junior of the bunch and squeaked into the exec team a couple years back almost by accident HR/Community - they are out all the time or broker in insider information people tell them in confidence given their role.

So many mistakes made it begs the question; can you recover? I hope so, I exercised my options. But it's been like watching a train wreck.

Apr 14, 2017 – President and CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Since I joined the company in 2011 when we were only slightly more than 50 people and clearly an early stage startup. We have gone through many phases since then from a ... More

"Bumpy vision but fun workplace"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

Fandom has a really nice community behind it. Contributors are there because they really love their favorite movies or shows or games. Building a platform for them is really great. Plus, if you surround yourself with the right people, you can have a really cool work environment.

Cons

Management is sometimes slow to acknowledge company issues and and the concerns of employees. The wrong people are sometimes rewarded or kept in positions of authority. This hurts the vision of the company.

Advice to Management

Be sure to listen to the concerns of employees. Sometimes it does not really seem like they are really listening to the issues employees might have.

"2016, A Year of Toxicity"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

When I first joined Wikia/Fandom I felt part of a family. We worked long hours. We drank and laughed together. There was a general feeling of "in it together". Not only that but people were accountable and honest. I felt trust in my leaders. I grew a lot. I was excited in our mission and came to work every day ready to do more.

Cons

Flash forward to 2016, something turned horribly wrong this year. More and more people were hired who did not mesh with our company values, Trust and Community being two of the main ones. We moved away from being a company who worked as a team and became distant silo departments. Some departments started looking for anyone they could throw under the bus to cover their own flaws. People stopped being accountable for their actions and instead played the blame game (which does not help the company at all.)

I've seen more manipulative and toxic behavior in the past couple of months than I ever had at this company. Now a majority of us have been laid off and it's starting to make sense. Speaking to those still left behind it sounds like everyone absorbed the jobs of the people who left. I imagine it's going to be rough for a while.

Advice to Management

Get rid of upper management who openly bash employees, spread rumors, and don't own up to their mistakes. Fandom has such an amazing opportunity to become an entertainment leader. Don't allow toxic behaviors crush the morale of the remaining employees.

Apr 14, 2017 – President and CEO

Thanks for your feedback. As you know, in 2016 we made the decision to change from being solely a platform company focused on communities to a premier media company that combined communities and ... More

"Untrustworthy Management"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Basic "start-up" perks that draw a lot of the younger and less experienced, but passionate and driven crowd.
    * Kegs, pool parties, snack closet, dog-friendly office, people who like to go out and have a good time together.
    * If you have less experience you probably have a decent shot at getting a job here anyways.
    * The Community Development, Community Support, and Sales organizations are well managed and fun to work with.
    * If you're into pop culture or gaming, this is a good company for you.
    * Nerdy in an awesome way.

Cons

Bottom line: Wikia ends up being a demoralizing and dispiriting place to work day in/day out.

* Avoid Marketing, Product, Design, and Engineering.
    * Complete lack of trust between teams leads to a lot of blame, finger pointing, and clique culture.
    * Projects are unreasonably scoped, resourced, and time boxed which leads to constant sense of failure and stress for prod dev teams.
    * Senior Management is visibly unable to work well together. This causes major issues that trickle down and create an unpleasant work environment.
    * Management is the embodiment of "do as I say, not as I do." One example: management harps incessantly that teams must make data driven decisions and then blatantly disregards that data when it doesn't support their preferred approach.
    * A lot of talented people don't stick around. People leave quickly over a short time span, lowering overall company moral. This happens every few months.
    * Unprofessional atmosphere, gossip, people storming out of meetings, etc.
    * Pays below market, annual reviews are late and shoddy.

*Management has campaigned in the past for current employees to write positive Glassdoor reviews. Take note of that when you read reviews here.*

Dec 9, 2016

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. Employee experience is very important to me. Trust and Collaboration are two of our company’s core values. It’s critical that these be fostered ... More

"Leaders drove the good ppl out and the company off a cliff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom (More than 5 years)

Pros

To have been part of such a great group of creative people in the early years. At that time it was a company where what we were working on was what the users wanted. But those years are gone and the bosses like to act like high rollers while they make terrible top-down decisions (Fandom media company?! Really? It was the community platform that built the company and made the money. Now that is going. Check traffic, think about the ad rev biz model and do the math). PRO: looking for another job.

Cons

It's frustrating, truly, to have this go from my favorite job to my worst.

Current assessment: Really terrible and unprofessional leadership in every area at this point. I'm not sure a single department head actually knows how to do anything themselves. And they can't claim "managing people" as a skill either. (Go read the Wikia Glassdoor reviews before the Fandom rebrand to see this has been true for the last couple years despite the attempt to cover it up with phoney reviews & canned replies). HR leadership uses personal connections & private information for power -- has for years. Community used to be the gem of the company but all the actual good ones are gone now to better places and management is finger pointy, angry & absent. Buying a failing company and/or bringing in all failing IGN people to run engineering and product design made literally the whole place feel like high school year book (Inc the cliques that comes with it). CEO acts tough, can be kind of a bully, but still let's the CRO walk all over him even tho that group spends money hand over fist on new hires & lavish offsites.

I fee like I used to work at an awesome growing company I was proud of and that was stolen from so many of us when the old guard left and the new ones came with their outsized egos.

HR - don't stress, I'm already interviewing.

Advice to Management

Hope you are desperately looking for any exit -- bridge loans won't last forever. I'm surprised the board, people I respect, have let you take the company here. Words like "community" hang on the wall, but you forget that should include the community of people that choose to work there. The way you handled the recent layoffs leave no doubt what kind of shallow, selfish, in-over-your-heads leaders you are. Kids playing grown up. I almost feel sorry for you.

"Sad to watch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the first couple years. Original team of leaders (Gil, Bill, Artur, Bob, Mike, Sara, Vicky, Sanse etc) were fun, smart, quirky and we felt like a family building something amazing for our community. Scrappy, creative, had each other's backs.

Cons

The last couple years felt like new people coming in only to politic their way around the place. The hands-on management left or were pushed out and the new leadership replaced code with PowerPoint decks and offsites. Lots of bickering too. It felt like your parents were always fighting and you knew they were getting a divorce but you all still had to go to family BBQs together and smile and pretend everything was great. It was exhausting by the end.

Advice to Management

Not sure, get along? Be honest? Hire doers not talking heads?

Apr 14, 2017 – President and CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Over the years, most (if not all) companies go through many changes certainly as we have as we've gone from solely a community platform company to media global media ... More

"Company growing despite it's best efforts."

I worked at Fandom full-time

Pros

Wikia is an excellent place to begin a startup career. The environment still has a very startup-ey feel, and the experience gained there can be an excellent jumping-off point to something bigger. Pay and benefits have been increasing over the past few years to the point that they are reasonably competitive with similarly-positioned companies. The company is stable and given the large user base there is little threat of it going away.

Cons

Members of senior management are constantly fighting amongst themselves, and the genuine animosity trickles down throughout the entire company. Marketing, especially, is led by individuals who have an undeserved sense of superiority and the missteps led by that department are largely responsible for the aforementioned animosity. There is a general sense of running in circles with little long-term vision.

Advice to Management

Develop a coherent long-term vision for the company. Replace marketing management. Address the toxic culture problems directly rather than campaigning for better Glassdoor reviews.

Dec 9, 2016

Thank you for sharing your candid and specific feedback — it’s appreciated. Know that I read every review and take each positive and negative response seriously. It’s of utmost importance to me that ... More