GATX Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

3.3

Railcar Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colton, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GATX (Colton, CA).

Interview

Originally applied through Indeed. It took over 2 months for initial contact. HR Manager was courteous and nice. After she asked inital questions amd informed me about what GATX is all about she scheduled me for interview. I came in for interview (super nervous) interviewed with shift manager and Production Supervisor. They were both very nice guys. Asked me a variety of questions including about my backround and experience. Interview was about 20 min. Or so. I felt good about the content of our conversation but i was skeptical because of how nervous i was. A couple days later HR called and said they wanted me to move forward in the process. They did an employment check , criminal backround and HS Diploma verification. Took about a week. Then i was officially offered a job. Pending a medical eval and BTE Physical abilities test. I passed medical eval and now waiting for results of BTE for an official start date.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a fear of heights or enclosed spaces?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself outside of work?   1 Answer

General Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GATX.

Interview

Wow, never have I ever met a recruiter that was so unprofessional. She made judgements about my background that made me wonder why I was even brought in! The other individual I met with was kind and polished. I don't think this company realizes who is representing them. Shouldn't the recruiter make you feel comfortable and welcoming?? Just a thought.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions centered around background.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Standard Phone Interview with an HR manager followed by a panel interview. They were very accommodating in making sure the interview fit within my schedule and made sure to reimburse me for travel expenses.

Interview Questions

• Not a specific question, but drilled down my resume and gave me a chance to speak about each thing on it.   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I interviewed for a Recruiter position that had been posted for quite some time. The initial phone screen with was actually nice, personable and scheduled a time to meet. The interview started off fine, but my interviewer's attitude changed after I answered a question that apparently wasn’t satisfactory to her liking and then the interview became uncomfortable. So unpleasant that I almost stopped in the middle to tell say I wasn’t interested. I’m able to handle rough interviews and challenging questions, but my interviewer's attitude was rude and found it to be quite unprofessional. Needless, I had no interest working there afterwards and did not care to follow up.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult, but the negative tone made it uncomfortable and body language made it difficult to sit there any longer than I had to.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GATX in June 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by meeting with 4 company VP's. They were all very cordial and I had a good experience at all. However, I did not get the offer, but believe from my limited interactions that it would be a good place to work for. I ended up getting an offer at a rival, so that helps i suppose.

Market Analysis Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL) in December 2010.

Interview

Interviewed by three different people. It took about 2 hours and wasn't very intimidating at all. I'm glad I went through the process and I'm glad I took the job. The interviewers were my immediate supervisor, and a few other people.

Corporate Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

I initially contacted GATX about the possibility of interviewing for the GATX Corporate Rotational Program. They responded promptly and we set up a date and time for a phone interview. The phone interview went well, though they called a day earlier than planned. We pretty much reviewed my resume and my experiences. About a week later I was contacted with the news that I had been invited for a second interview at their Chicago offices. My Chicago interview consisted of 6 one on one interviews and lunch with my would be peers. The questions were almost all behavioral as well as a few to see if I had researched the company efficiently. Overall it was what I expected.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were able to keep a group from heading in the wrong direction.   Answer Question