GATX Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 6, 2017

3.3

Enterprise Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

It was 6 hours with 6 people. Well planned. I have lot of experience as EA. However, they seemed to be looking on exact skills in the person I was replacing. This person worked there for 30 years..did not seem to have any " current" skills.
    They were obsessed on Business analysis skills which in my opinion is just part of EA repertoire.
    The feedback they provided was not detailed. That is the least they owe me for taking a day off

Railcar Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colton, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GATX (Colton, CA).

Interview

Originally applied through Indeed. It took over 2 months for initial contact. HR Manager was courteous and nice. After she asked inital questions amd informed me about what GATX is all about she scheduled me for interview. I came in for interview (super nervous) interviewed with shift manager and Production Supervisor. They were both very nice guys. Asked me a variety of questions including about my backround and experience. Interview was about 20 min. Or so. I felt good about the content of our conversation but i was skeptical because of how nervous i was. A couple days later HR called and said they wanted me to move forward in the process. They did an employment check , criminal backround and HS Diploma verification. Took about a week. Then i was officially offered a job. Pending a medical eval and BTE Physical abilities test. I passed medical eval and now waiting for results of BTE for an official start date.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a fear of heights or enclosed spaces?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself outside of work?   1 Answer

General Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GATX.

Interview

Wow, never have I ever met a recruiter that was so unprofessional. She made judgements about my background that made me wonder why I was even brought in! The other individual I met with was kind and polished. I don't think this company realizes who is representing them. Shouldn't the recruiter make you feel comfortable and welcoming?? Just a thought.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions centered around background.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Standard Phone Interview with an HR manager followed by a panel interview. They were very accommodating in making sure the interview fit within my schedule and made sure to reimburse me for travel expenses.

Interview Questions

• Not a specific question, but drilled down my resume and gave me a chance to speak about each thing on it.   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I interviewed for a Recruiter position that had been posted for quite some time. The initial phone screen with was actually nice, personable and scheduled a time to meet. The interview started off fine, but my interviewer's attitude changed after I answered a question that apparently wasn’t satisfactory to her liking and then the interview became uncomfortable. So unpleasant that I almost stopped in the middle to tell say I wasn’t interested. I’m able to handle rough interviews and challenging questions, but my interviewer's attitude was rude and found it to be quite unprofessional. Needless, I had no interest working there afterwards and did not care to follow up.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult, but the negative tone made it uncomfortable and body language made it difficult to sit there any longer than I had to.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GATX in June 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by meeting with 4 company VP's. They were all very cordial and I had a good experience at all. However, I did not get the offer, but believe from my limited interactions that it would be a good place to work for. I ended up getting an offer at a rival, so that helps i suppose.

Market Analysis Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL) in December 2010.

Interview

Interviewed by three different people. It took about 2 hours and wasn't very intimidating at all. I'm glad I went through the process and I'm glad I took the job. The interviewers were my immediate supervisor, and a few other people.

Corporate Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GATX (Chicago, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

I initially contacted GATX about the possibility of interviewing for the GATX Corporate Rotational Program. They responded promptly and we set up a date and time for a phone interview. The phone interview went well, though they called a day earlier than planned. We pretty much reviewed my resume and my experiences. About a week later I was contacted with the news that I had been invited for a second interview at their Chicago offices. My Chicago interview consisted of 6 one on one interviews and lunch with my would be peers. The questions were almost all behavioral as well as a few to see if I had researched the company efficiently. Overall it was what I expected.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were able to keep a group from heading in the wrong direction.   Answer Question