Genesee & Wyoming Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 11, 2017

2.7

Transportation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genesee & Wyoming (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got called 3 days later for phone interview and the process took 7 days. 3 days later received phone call to have face to face interview. Transportation was not provided and was not reimbursed. Was told to wait 2 weeks to a month for decision. You will be contacted if you got the position or not. So far I have not heard anything.. Hopefully no news is good news

Interview Questions

• Conflict questions, tell about yourself and other pretty much easy questions.   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genesee & Wyoming (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I sent in resume and received phone call for a phone interview 7 days later. Set up phone interview and passed and was invited to phone interview. Had to travel over 500 miles for interview and was reimbursed NOTHING.... Hour interview and was told 2 weeks to a month for desision, was promised to be told even if you was not selected.. Position was field and I NEVER heard anything letting me know it was filled. I emailed and called and no answer or returned call. Completely ignored my emails and messages.

Interview Questions

• How you handle conflict between two workers and tell me a weakness   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genesee & Wyoming in October 2014.

Interview

I had an interview for a contract position as a software developer. The interview took less than 1 hour. I first met with someone from HR who provided me with information about the company. I then met with the department head who asked me questions about work completed on my current and previous positions. There were no difficult technical questions.

Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phenix City, AL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genesee & Wyoming (Phenix City, AL).

Interview

Was asked to drive from my residence 400+ miles, to Phenix City, AL for a 10 minute interview with the Operations Manager. I was told that the information about the railroad was confidential because it was a new acquisition and had not released the information about it yet. When I told him what I Was paid at my previous employer, his response was that it would be no problem to match that plus compensate me for my expenses to move my family to Georgia. He did not mention that I would have been better off to find a residence in Alabama instead.

Interview Questions

• Can you keep this a secret?   1 Answer

Sales & Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Genesee & Wyoming (Dallas, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Long and drawn out. Started in August and ended in November. It was mostly by phone with 2 in-person meetings. Once in person it went well and was straight forward. The process ended in December resulting in a quick hire.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Short and easy.

Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lyons, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genesee & Wyoming (Lyons, GA) in January 2013.

Interview

First human resources will call to do a phone interview, if that goes well then you come in for a face to face interview with the supervisor you'll be working for. You may be asked to come in for a second interview. It's very relaxed no suit and tie needed.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about a locomotive.   1 Answer

Utility Coal Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheridan, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genesee & Wyoming (Sheridan, WY) in September 2012.

Interview

Good interview with two managers. Was longer but there many questions most really focused on safety. Safety is number one, Always. Very relaxed. The job details were revealed completely, had no surprises once hired.

Interview Questions

• How I resolved a conflict with another co worker.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The wage offered was pretty much set, besides I had never done this type of work at all. Raises and bonuses came through exactly as I was told.