HM Treasury Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2018

3.1

Personal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Had a very positive experience interviewing for a PA role. It was a formal interview, based around their competency framework. If you prepare yourself well and develop answers based on the framework, the interview will go well.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

First there was a quantitative test for 20 min, simple stuff like calculating percentage differences from tables and interpreting graphs. Then there was a writing test for 40 min consisting of three questions. First was to summarise a 2 page report into 4 sentences. The second and third one was to briefly explain two economic concepts, to an economist and to a layman.
    Then there were the interview where they mostly asked me to explain economics concepts and possible effects of economic policy. It was not as much focus on personal questions and soft skills.

Interview Questions

• What is the advantages and disadvantages of having a flexible exhange rate?   Answer Question
    • Name one time when you changed your mind about something?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Online application, then situational judgement test, then numerical and verbal reasoning tests, then on-site assessment centre. Assessment centre involved an interview, a written task given on the day, and a presentation (told topic beforehand). The process took under two months.

Interview Questions

• You write a report making recommendations that one of your colleagues disagrees with. How do you respond?   Answer Question

Policy Adviser Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Application process: online form -> online tests -> sift based on your long-form answers to the online form -> assessment centre -> offer/rejection + feedback.

The assessment centre consisted of a written assessment (1), competency-based interview (2), and presentation (3).

1) You are given an information pack containing information from a range of sources, and instructions from a senior civil servant detailing what they want to know. Based on that, you write up a 1,000 word report. No need to have any prior knowledge, here: emphasis is on good command of the material and concise structure.

2) Read the civil service competency framework and then deliver the goods with plenty of examples from your experience.

3) This is where you need to prepare. You'll be told in advance of the assessment centre what you're topic will be. On the day, the question will relate to that topic. You then deliver an oral briefing to two interviewers and then take questions.

It's a very friendly process throughout and really nothing to worry about. Do lots of preparation and don't seize up on the day. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you have [insert competency from the civil service competency framework]?   Answer Question
    • You are a junior policy advisor. You've written a report for a senior civil servant but one of your colleagues is unhappy because they believe that their view has been ignored. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Interview

A short numeracy test followed by an interview with a panel of two economists for ~20 minutes. It was very useful to read the materials available on the GES website on common questions asked and the sample numeracy test which was mostly percentage calculation questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked some technical questions on free rider problems in public goods in economics, why I am studying economics and how I manage my time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

As part of your online application form, you will be asked to complete a situational judgement test (SJT). This will assess your judgement and your approach to situations that you might encounter in your day-to-day work as a Policy Adviser.

Interview Questions

• Each question will describe the situation and there will be four multiple choice answers. You'll need to pick what you think would be the best way to respond, and the worst way.   Answer Question

Policy Advisor Interview

Interview

Competency based interview. Civil Servant competency framework needed. Need to provide examples to evidence how you meet the competencies. Ususally interviewed via a panel incl. a member of HR. HR are very slow, and it can take some time to get all relevant paper work completed.

Insights Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Did a written test first, that was similar in structure to the practice test supplied on the website, and then went in for the interview which focussed first on competencies, and then on economics questions. I found that they were very helpful, and were very keen to make applicants feel at ease; happy to answer questions, bring water, that sort of thing.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury in March 2016.

Interview

Application, then tests, then invited to write essay style answers to competency questions and finally a telephone interview. The process was long and reply was late ! because they don't operate on rolling basis.