Houston Fire Department - Texas Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Houston Fire Department - Texas

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Houston Fire Department - Texas

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Houston Fire Department - Texas (Houston, TX).

Interview

The process was pretty lengthy. The civil service exam has to be taken first. The highest-ranked scores were called in for an in-person interview. After the interview, you were scheduled for a drug and polygraph test. Upon passing those you were offered employment which meant the fire academy. You are considered probationary for 12 months.

Interview Questions

• They asked why I wanted to be a firefighter.   1 Answer

Firefighter Interview

Interview

The interview and selection process is long. Since there are only a few classes held in a given year, you may wait 6 months or more depending how much the city is hiring

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of your past experience, any disqualifiers you might have, and put you through a polygraph.   Answer Question

Firefighter/EMT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Houston Fire Department - Texas (Houston, TX) in January 2018.

Interview

Lengthy, after the civil service test it took over 8 months to get hired. That's scoring in the top 10 of the exam as well, there were people from my exam that had to wait almost a year and half to get hired.

Application

Interview

-Begins with applying online at www.hfdcareers.org
        -Requires proof of at least 24 College Credits, or at least 2 years of active, US military service.

-Take the Physical Abilities Test: 1.5 miles in 13:07, and other basic strength/endurance portions.

-Take the Civil Service Exam: A written test based on personality/basic math/spatial awareness
    A one on one "interview" with a recruiter: Nothing hard at all. Just to get a feel for why you want to join the Houston Fire Department and to answer any questions you may have.

-Polygraph Examination

-Background check, Drug Testing, Uniform Fitting, Fingerprints, Necessary Immunizations, Medical Exam

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Houston Fire Department - Texas (Houston, TX) in January 2009.

Interview

The review process was layed out in steps by the recruiter. It was a long process that went through multiple aspects. After each process there would be a next step program follow up with the recruiter.

Firefighter/EMT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Houston Fire Department - Texas in June 2008.

Interview

First and foremost is a written exam consisting of multiple choice questions exclusively. It's incredibly easy - essentially 6th grade level math and english skills. Anything below 96-100 has no chance of being hired. The rest of the process includes a background check, polygraph, one on one interview, and a medical exam.

My advice, get your extensive paperwork turned in ASAP

Interview Questions

• Polygraph - Have you ever stolen anything greater than $20 in value?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A