IB Times Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IB Times Interview Questions

2.6

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IB Times (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I sent an email directly to a specified e-mail address, as directed by the job posting, with my resume and cover letter. I heard back within 24 hours asking for a phone interview. I scheduled one within a day or two.

The man (one of the editors) was late in calling me for the phone interview, but I didn't mind since he did e-mail me to apologize and I understood since I'm sure things are busy at the office. The phone interview was very pleasant and conversational. He said that he really liked me, loved my samples, and thought my background was intriguing, but he needed the thumbs up from his higher ups. He asked me to send more writing samples to him (though I had sent over about five previously) to see my "growth" over a period of time. Sounds great!

I sent over the writing samples and I didn't hear from him for a whopping 2 to 3 weeks or so. At that point, I had given up on them, but then I got an e-mail from him stating that he is sorry for the delay and that he's interested in issuing a writing test to me. We scheduled one for the following week.

Here's where things start to get hairy.

I waited for the writing test at the scheduled date and time and received nothing from him. I sent an e-mail stating that I was on stand-by for the writing test - no reply. Ever since he confirmed the writing test, I never heard from him ever again. Just disappeared into thin air and ceased to reply to any follow-up e-mails. Yikes!

I think IB Times, itself, is a great organization, but unfortunately, their employees who participate in the recruiting process reflect very poorly on their professionalism and sullies their image as an organization of integrity.

I suggest that IB Times select another more professional person at the helm of their fellowship hiring process - someone with enough common sense and courtesy to inform candidates that a writing test has been rescinded: "I understand we've scheduled a writing test to you, but we've decided to select another candidate. Best of luck with your endeavors."

I hate to say it, but definitely the most unprofessional interview process I've ever gone through.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview asked questions questions you'd expect: What's your experience in journalism and your background? Which part of the site would you be best for, what skills can you offer to IB Times? That kind of stuff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IB Times (New York, NY).

Interview

You know the drill. On Glassdoor, you should take negative reviews with a grain of salt because many people who write them are just annoyed that they didn't get the job, but this is one negative interview review that you can take at face value. This particular publication gave me the worst interview experience of my career, at least so far, and I've been on numerous interviews, particularly at journalistic publications. I applied for an entry-level reporter position and was selected for a lengthy writing test that lasted several hours. Upon passing the writing test, I was invited in for an interview by an editor, who served as my point of contact throughout the application process. The ensuing interview process was an unorganized mess that took place within their dilapidated headquarters. I was told by the editor that he and the EIC were going to be the only ones interviewing me, and I expected that the editor would be the first one who I would meet since I had been in contact with him. Instead, I was first interviewed by the EIC, who quickly glanced at my resume for the first time upon entering the room. He then grilled me with questions more suited for somebody applying for a veteran reporting position, which led me to believe that the job I had applied for was either falsely advertised as entry-level or severely misunderstood by the executive team, all of whom were new to the publication. I then got the chance to ask the EIC some questions of my own, but after asking just a couple, he abruptly cut me off and told me that he had to go. Then, I met with the editor, who proceeded to tell me that I should get more clips if I wanted to work there, as my interview for an open job suddenly became more of an informational interview. Finally, to my surprise, I sat through two more unexpected meetings, each with another editor. Obviously, I didn't get an offer, but based on the employee reviews of this place, that was a blessing in disguise.

Interview Questions

• What stories would you cover today if you worked here?   1 Answer

Business Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IB Times (Omaha, NE).

Interview

Overall it was excessively time intensive, misleading and unpleasant. I went through multiple rounds, starting with a phone interview, then submission of story ideas, then a timed writing test, then a reference check, then an in-person interview. The whole thing took about a month. In the end, the job description was not what they had initially described. The editor who interviewed me in person was unnecessarily rude and acted like she had no idea who I was (even though she later let on that she was familiar with my background).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IB Times (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

This was a rigorous interview process to say the least. After meeting with six different people all at different times over the course of two hours, the questions ranged from basic to in-depth. Most of the questions were straightforward however the editor-in-chief seemed keen on making his portion of the interview unbearable, uncomfortable and very intense. If you like feeling bullied and under valued, this is the place for you.

Interview Questions

• How does ISIS recent expropriation of Ramadi effect peace talks in Mosul?   2 Answers

International Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IB Times (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Totally hilarious. Dorky guy asking the questions knew almost zero about what he was asking. Four or five people brought into the room at various points to see if I was a fit. Use of business language nauseating. Lots of egos. Top boss seriously terrifying.

Interview Questions

• What's going on Iraq? How vague.   1 Answer

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IB Times.

Interview

Was really easy: Do not worry about it. But run the other way

Negotiation

Simple I told them what I wanted and they kept coming back with an offer until I finally agreed on one.

Web Producer Interview

Interview

Enrico is an amazing interviewer and HR Director.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IB Times.

Interview

They were really nice and it went pretty well. Spoke about past writing experiences and knowledge of the digital landscape. Got a contract 30 minutes later.

Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IB Times (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

Submitted an application via LinkedIn -- in about 10 days received a phone call, and was interviewed over the phone. Was asked to submit 10 story idea. Then got a call for an in-person interview. Interviewed by editor in chief and managing editor. Offered the position within three days of the interview.

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at IB Times (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

Not very structured and very difficult to understand the interviewer. I interviewed with two separate individuals.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know my contacts and specifics that I did not feel like I should disclose at such an early stage. They used the term "golden Rolodex" which I found ridiculous.   Answer Question